Grip Towel enquiries

Discussion in 'Grip' started by budin9210, Mar 8, 2020.

1. budin9210

budin9210 New Member

Currently use grip towel on top of the original grip as i sweat quite a lot. However, when put it on top of the original grip, i found it to be a little thick for my liking. As i read on other threads, removing the original grip and then put a layer of electrical tape as moisture wont be absorb to the wood handle.

My question is, is it noticeable on the thickness of the grip if i put the electrical tape first before the towel grip, and will it be thinner compared to my current setup?

Any other advice from the towel grip user? as i dont plan to put the towel grip onto the bare wood handle.

thanks

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's the way to do it. Put electrical tape. One layer first and add the towel grip. Give this setup a try. If you want more thickness add more layers of electrical tape next time you put on a new grip, which you will do quite often as towel grips don't last very long. Finally you can also add a layer of cushion wrap between the electrical tape and the towel grip for more thickness, comfort and vibration dampening effect.

You will only find the correct setup and thickness for you after trial and error but one layer of electrical tape won't be as thick as the original grip on for sure, it will be thinner.

Here is a recent video of VA where he shows how he grips his rackets. It is not meant to be a standard but simply to give you a basic example on where to start. Note that he does use cushion wrap but doesn't add electrical tape. His rackets dont last long enough for him to care of the moisture going inside the wooden handle... :D

3. budin9210

budin9210 New Member

Noted on the explaination. However, after removing the towel grip,will it leave glue residue on the tape which i currently experiencing, my original grip felt sticky when i remove the towel grip. Thanks again for your advice

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The original grip is a soft surface so glue residues tend to stick better on that. On the electrical tape it will be easier to remove and at worst, some white spirit on a fabric should do the trick and help eliminate all glue residues. If you add some cushion wrap the problem is solved.