Greysia Polii Announced Her Retirement

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Avenger, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Today, Greysia Polii finally announced her retirement at Istora Senayan Jakarta.

Few notable things during her announcement:

1. Why she did not retire sooner? Because she still thinks of Apriani. Apriani still needs their notional ranking. If she quits straight away Apriani and her new partner need to start from the bottom. If that happens, no way Apriani and her partner can catch up with this point system and cannot enter bigger tournament. This is the reason why Apriani and her partner can enter BWF super 1000 or Indonesia open 2022.

She said, but if she does not quit and keep playing with Apriani, Apriani and Fadia will not be able to get enough points for Olympic 2024

2. She said it is already enough. She played as pro for 19 years and she feels satisfied for getting an olympic gold.

3. She wants to focus with her marriage and building a family.

She said: "badminton is in my blood, I live without badminton for 5 years, the rest (30 years) are always with badminton"

What will she do in the future?
    1. She will become Chair Commitee Athlete for BWF
    2. She is building her own shoes and apparel brand, Fine Counsel

https://www.suara.com/news/2022/06/...-pensiun-pilih-gantung-raket-di-masa-kejayaan

#1 Avenger, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    nokh88 and Woesi like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This cannot be correct. A player can retire but return to playing. They will still keep their ranking points. For doubles pairs, the notional points from the ranking will still be kept even if one player retires.

I think for notional points to be totally removed, the partnership needs to be deregistered from BWF players database.

She has been a magnificent player for Indonesia.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, I am not sure, that is what she said during her farewell speech

Cheung likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk