Gosen G-Tone 5

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mikomi, Mar 12, 2016.

1. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Hi, thanks a lot for your feedback! I got the GT5 for "free", with the points I won in a tournament series, so I thought I should give it a try. BG66UM feels perfect for me when I play, I think I was just hoping for a similar string with better durability. I never really tried the BG80, but from what you say it sounds more like a step in the wrong direction for me.

At the moment I am just playing 1-2x per week and with rotating rackets, so each UM can survive a few weeks/months, provided no mishit happens.

The tension was just estimated by ear. So I installed stringster now, and it shows 9.8 kg for the GT5, compared to 10.8 kg for the older BG66UM :confused: Both were strung by my coach who usually does a consistent job.

Usually I notice accidental slicing but I will pay extra attention if I do another session with the GT5.
    But maybe I got used too much to the feeling and repulsion of the UM and should just buy a reel of that again :oops:

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

No need to change then.
    Maybe give Li Ning No. 1 a try, but don't get a reel just to try. It's harder feeling though (if I remember correctly), and if that's what you dislike about GT5, this might not work either.
    You can find some opinions on Stringster in this forum, but my overall advice is: Don't care for numbers too much, as long as it feels good. Go by feeling, not by numbers.
    It was just an idea, because that's where a lot of people lose power when smashing and it might be more when using a string that supports slicing more. It can as well be just the rough surface causing more friction between the strings leading to a slight loss of power.
    Maybe you should. ;) And if you want to send me a free reel of GT5, you (and everybody else) can do that. :D

3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

20% off at stringers world again this weekend: GOS20

Get it while brexit is hot!

Goggles likes this.
  4. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Anyone else get this error on StringersWorld?..

Attached Files:

5. Khan

Khan New Member

How is the black Gosen gt5? does it perform as compared to yellow and orange?

6. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I always find black strings weird. Dunno why. I’d go yellow instead.

7. Khan

Khan New Member

I strung Gt5 black on Lining ws 72 and after 5 hours of playing it started fraying. ordered yellow and orange. currently i'm testing #1 mains and gt5 on crosses.

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Never found no.1 and gt5 combos to offer much honestly. Always just straight up went for GT5 only.

Using it again now btw. Yellow bed. Really crisp and nice.

Fidget likes this.
  9. khoimun

khoimun Regular Member

Just restring this week, this batch of G tone 5 feels abit different, feels slightly thicker and rougher than the past batches. Anyone of you have such experiences with the new batch of strings?

10. Khan

Khan New Member

What color string?

11. khoimun

khoimun Regular Member

Yellow

12. Khan

Khan New Member

I got my AVP restrung yesterday with yellow one, mine isnt rougher or thicker. i have yet to test it in the court.

13. Khan

Khan New Member

can someone help me identify if this is fake string? this doesn't feel as good as before, its the yellow one. im uploading the package of this one.

Attached Files:

14. Khan

Khan New Member

here is another packet which i believe is not fake. can anyone clarify if its true? batch_Gt5 Legit.jpg batch_Gt5 ligt back.jpg

15. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    Which colors play best?

16. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Red is always faster.

No, just kidding. I have three colours and don't notice any difference: salmon red (slightly pink-ish), orange and green.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Lighter ie natural colours play best.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I just blindly choose yellow with GT5 and any other string possible if they have it. Almost never run with any issues as far as longevity (early fraying), feel and texture is concerned.

But then again, you may have more important concerns like does it exactly match my racket and clothes or whether it's the colour of the month according to the astrologists in which case my solution will offer no help.

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Since I used maily LN No.1 since the beginning of 2020 I tried a set of G-Tone 5. I was satisfied by the power of No.1. Sliced shots never got the same quality like with BG80 or BG80 Power. I also felt that the feedback of No.1 was something like I experienced with cheap strings. I can't describe it well, but it was plastic-like and the feedback was more diffuse than sharp and pointy. I'm also here not satisfied with my wording, but I can't explain it better.

I strung a N7II with GT5 at 12x12kg and let it settle for 4 days. First session was like an orgasm. Like BG80 and BG66UM made a baby. My trainings partner complained about my sharp slice drop shots. I feel that I got a better feedback to control the shots. With No.1 I was also able to hit the same drop shots, but with GT5 I was more consistent and precise. I managed more often than usual during the drop drill the shuttle gently touching the tape on the net. He threaten that if it happens a 6th time I need to spend a beer and what can I say he got two beers.

On our smash drills the sound was amazing. We were the first guys on court and I noticed that people heard my smashs banging. I'm pretty satisfied with the power. Honestly speaking the power didn't last and dropped after around 6 hours. It is still powerful but some of the magic was gone. Everybody who played BG66UM will know what I mean, but not as bad as the latter one.

We also did push, serve, drive routines like usual and some variations of box games. I managed to play two doubles with it and clearing/backhand clearing in trouble , placement, sharp dropshots, winner smashs everything was top notch.

Now the more sad part. I noticed after too weeks more wear and notching than usual. I think it will be gone on the next week. With No.1 I have a better durability and get more hours of play out of a job. Since the Gosen string is much cheaper I need to think about it more and need to test a second set. Overall I'm very impressed by this string. It don't have this hard feel of BG80 and more power than No.1. Texture is between BG80 and No.1. Definitely a string to try if you can't play BG80 anymore (like me) and always seeked for the power of BG66UM, without this one session effect.

#639 ucantseeme, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Welcome to the world of GT5!

Control, repulsion, feel... everything is like an orgasm, you got that right.

Now to easily correct that notching problem... just do a hybrid with ZM62Fire. That is... GT5 mains x ZM62Fire crosses.

Mine is set at 25x27lbs to get 1330 Hz. Your friends will need to get ready to enjoy more free beers from you.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

thyrif likes this.