Gong Zhichao vs. Camilla Martin

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by Zclyh3, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Man! Did you guys check out the scores? Gong took out Camilla like nothing! Camilla only scored 1 on the first set and then didn't even score at all the second set. Camilla got a doughnut score and got shut out by Gong Zhichao! Great work Gong..keep it up!!

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    It is certain that gong has the formula for beating CM. It is sad that neither CM nor her coach implement any change of game plan or tactic to counter gong especially when the danish WS team knows that gong would (or high probability) be one of the finalist in WS. The score tells me CM had losted the ambition to beat gong.

disclaimer: i have not seen the match and is going by results given by tony L.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gong's winning formula against CM is her speed and accuracy. she travels like a lightning across the court, forcing CM to go retrieve all the shots. pushing her around. CM doesn't have the skills and speed to keep up with Gong. and if she keep on being so slow and her shots quality so low. she will never even get close to Gong.

4. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    My scores were STRAIGHT from the World Badminton website which is at:
    worldbadminton.net. I know it's already over cause I saw the scores with my own eyes on the website. It's been seen and the final scores ARE:

Gong Zhichao defeated Camilla Martin
    11-1, 11-0

Go Gong!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

tony tony tony, i wasn't doubting your score report.
    learning from the shuttle rowing over post (in our out)thread, i have to be more careful what i say.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Cooler, you don't need to make an elaborate disclaimer when referring to any information from Tony - just include at the bottom of your message "It's all good." Or, for particularly controversial issues, write "It's all hella good." ;)

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Was really a mismatch.Maybe Cm read Bcentral and was

intimidated and demoralised by you guys.(disclaimer)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Gong awesome? Camilla weak?

From my observations, Gong's speed and accuracy are just awesome.

I would put forward that Camilla has much the same racquet skills as Gong (except perhaps the deep, forehand, back of the court shot). But there is a disparity in the footwork. OK, Camilla's footwork isn't bad but against the quality of Gong's shots, CM's footwork isn't just up to it. Many times, on the lunge, Camilla is really stretching making her recovery to the ready position harder. After a round the head shot, Camilla's first sidestep shuffle is short in distance so a shot by Gong to the front really gets Camilla suffering.

Two points come to mind.
    1 In the break, Kenneth Larsen had some very active discussion with Camilla - it obviously didn't help

2 Camilla was being pulled to all four corners of the court and didn;t really change her game plan that much for the 2nd game.(possibly getting too tired). Camilla also plays to the corners and this really plays into Gong's hands. I just wonder if camilla could get a few extra points by playing up the middle of the court.

In HK, the badminton fraternity have an expression for being beaten to love.
    Literally, the translation is "eat egg"!

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

goose egg

as in " sic daun " ?? Hey i need to brush up my cantonese should i go back to HK one day :)

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

like these quotes: "..Gade is still cool with me though...so it's all good..everyone else is the bomb." Or "I just purchase or ask people to hook it up with tournament tapes..it's bad ass I tell you...so it's all good."

Ya, i should loosen up more.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

Gong's shots are much tighter than Camilla. especially for the drop shots. that forces Camilla to move all the way to the front and bend over, adding onto that she being tall, that takes a lot away from her.

her inconsistency and slow speed is the other factor why she has so much trouble with Gong.

the other weakness is Camilla's backhand clear. often going wide.

Gong's shots are also very deceptive, and Camilla have problem reading her shots. thus that also contribute to the slow reaction, honestly, when watching from TV, without looking at the trajectory of the shot, i sometimes cannot tell what shot she made.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

actually, rewatching the Gong vs. Camilla's match (erm.. . for the 3rd time already. :) ), i think the 3 things that separates the two are:

- patience
    - shots quality - tightness and speed
    - speed of movements.

when playing against Camilla, Gong's motion on the court are just like doing drills, moving effortlessly around the court. Camilla never tried to speed up the game and try to dictate the pace. Zhou Mi has that ability with her speed, Camilla just doesn't have that ability.

Gong can just go on and on, playing drops and clears, drops and clear, she has the consistency to maintain that, and her shots are very accurate, while Camilla shots are more erratic. if in a long rally, Camilla will more likely to make a error. Gong's shot quality also means that Camilla has to do a lot more work to retrieve them.

i always want to watch the game between Camilla and Zhou Mi, i wonder if Camilla will be able to keep up with Zhou. too bad, from the look of the WC draw, i doubt we will see the two go head to head.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Camilla can;t speed up the game because her footwork doesn;t allow to cover the court. Camilla's errors come from being pushed around so much by Gong. It must be depressing to play against a brick wall.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

"It must be depressing to play against a brick wall" - I believe that's the case. It's not fun playing against an opponent who keep returning anything you may be able to throw at him/her. Playing more tournaments may help you earn more points (more money) and better ranking but not necessarilly beneficial for your game.

15. Re: Gong awesome? Camilla weak?

What is a good new nick name for Gong? The 'china wall', or the 'energize bunny'. Oh boy, I really hate the term 'CM killers', too many chiness girls could beat CM now. The chiness girls (teamate) are more of a thread for Gong than CM. The WC semi-final between Zhou Mi vs Gong is the final, no doubt about it, not a good draw, it's like the Laker vs Spur.

16. Re: Gong awesome? Camilla weak?

Exactly, you can not play every tournaments and expect to do well. There is a fatique and burn out factors. Just like Andre Agassi, he chooses and picks the tournament to play in and did pretty well. Some people like Mag, doesn't understand that simple fact, accusing the chinese being a poor sportmanship because someone like Gong fails to play every tournaments. Even with Gong skill who is defiantly playing on a different level than the rest can not possibly play every tournaments and expect to win. That why I still think the IBF ranking system is total joke. We clearly know who is #1 ---------Gong Zhichao--------- without a doubt. Maybe IBF should force Gong to compete with the men, than again I hate to see a grow man cry. Ha Ha.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, the badminton world just does not have enough sponsors, players and tournaments for the players to be able to pick and choose like the Tennis fraternity.

For people like Sogaard/Olsen, Eriksen/Larsen, Gade, Martin, it must be so tiring to travel to Asia to keep up their top position. They may be forced to do so becasue of sponsorship reasons. If their ranking drops, their sponsorship deals are less negotiable. I am curious to know how much of their income comes from prize money. Do they have to share part of the winnings with their National Association (like China players)?

18. Re: Gong awesome? Camilla weak?

That is very true about the importance of ranking when comes to sponsorship. Sponsorship contract is very confidential, all I know is Tiger Wood have a 30 million dollar contract with American Express and our top rank Canadian badminton player have a $20,000 sponsorship contract with Yonex. According to a yonex representative, if you rank in the top 20 in the province (Canada), they will sponsor you, anything from free grip to real money. Yonex suppose to have 3 tier system sponsorship, tier 1 is world class player who dealer directly with yonex Japan (that's the real money). Tier 2 is top rank player in their respected country who do get real cash but not enough to live on. Tier 3 player get free yonex equipments like grip, towel, bag, racket, T-shirt, etc. Again this might not be true, it is what the yonex representative told me.

Also, sometime ago I read a article about Peter G, he said he make a very comfortable living off badminton. What that meant? Close to a 1/2million bucks a year?

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

FG, did Mag really say that?

FG,

I agree with most of your points in this and your following post. However, while I can't claim to remember the contents of all of the many thousands of posts on this site, many of which I have never even read, I don't recall Mag ever saying the Chinese used poor sportsmanship in not fielding players in more tournaments. Please provide the specific webpage on which you claim he made these "accusations."