Gong wants the WC.

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by kwun, Apr 27, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    according to an article in Chinabadminton.com. Gong says she wants to win the WC this year. the article describes how Gong has been living under the shadow of Ye for all these years, Gong always goes off and beat players like Susi/Camilla, and come around and get beaten by Ye. even in the Olympics, she didn't have a clean win. Now that Ye has retired, Gong can prove herself by winning the WC.

the only competitions Gong has is Camilla, which is no problem for Gong, and perhaps Zhou Mi. Zhou has been having a great year to date, will she be able to shatter Gong's dream?

Gong hasn't played in any tournaments since the AE, if she managed to keep up her shape, she should do well in the WC.

2. Kelly

Kelly Guest

Gong will starts off as the early favourite. However, the Chinese team is so strong and the standard of players is very close. Apart from Gong, Camilla and Zhou Mi, I would say that Gong Ruina and Dai Yun are also strong contender for the title.

I'm quite sure that Dai Yun is also pretty eager to make up for her disappointment two years ago (falling at the hands of Camilla at the final hurdle). The question now is whether she will be fielded by the Chinese team.

Veteran Zhang Ning is also performing well of late and is capable of springing some surprises. The Chinese BA will have a difficult time of deciding who are the remaining 2 players to field apart from Gong and Zhou.

3. Alec

Alec Guest

Someone from another forum has mentioned that Zhou Mi has a better chance than Gong ZC...........dunno how far this is true.

Are they limited to a maximum of four players per country in the WC? I thought there isn't a limit, as any worthy player is allowed.

Another thing that bugs me is whether or not the Chinese BA decides on who they want to be the WC( of course amongst their own players only).

My gut feeling is that CM would not be able to defend her title successfully in the face of the strong Chinese challenge at a neutral venue this time round.

Ever since she got the duck from CM in the Olympics , Dai Yun has not been in the limelight .Has she fallen from grace in the eyes of the Chinese BA????????..............

4. May

May Guest

I think it's max 3, not 4, unless u r in the top 16.

5. May

May Guest

U know Kwun, who wouldn't want a World Championship title????

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. sure. i want to WC title too.

anyway. you missed the point of my posting and the original article. Gong wanted it because she wants to prove that she has the ability to win and be on top of the world, and not to be living under the shadow of Ye or any other players.

do you have that problem?

7. May

May Guest

no, sorry, my fault.

8. Alec

Alec Guest

In that case, China would prob.send Gong ZC ,Zhou Mi, Zhang Ning & Gong RN.
    And for the men, Chen Hong, Xuanze, Xinpeng & Xiao Hui.
    If Dai Yun isn't fielded, it can safely be assumed that she is on her way out of the mainstream Chinese squad.