Gold medals count or total medals count?

Discussion in 'BEIJING 2008 non-badminton events / discussion' started by robin7, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Now, now, if the media in the US were to report that China has beaten the US, that would be too hard for the Americans to stomach. So, in their own American way, they are saying the US is no. 1 and China no. 2 in total medals won. This is technically not wrong. However, they were gracious enough to say China did win the most gold medals. It is just words and nobody is robbing anything from anybody. It is just a classic American version of the Win-Win scenario.

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's definitely gold medal count to determine top-rank/winner in multisport event. USA has its own version to claim the #1.

Looks like USA contingent performance shows stagnant condition in last three summer OG as they always bagged same total golds (36) in Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008. Meanwhile China displays gradual but significant improvement where their total gold medals are 28-32-51 in Sydney, Athens and Beijing respectively.

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
  5. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Some people just have too much time on their hands ... interesting none the less

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    That is a cool site, good that some people have done the legwork.

One important thing people have missed from this list (probably because too hard to accurately find) is Medals per $ spent.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The above just draw my laugh... Clearly, the author has no idea about what "logic" suppose to mean.

Yes, the atheletes from western world has "freedom", but I would rather call it motivation from $$$. LBJ, Prince, Redd and Long must be crazy to give up their mult. million $$$ deals to go with the sports listed above, even if there's a "CHN type test" to determine actually they might be even more successful in another sport. Many pros expressed the feeling of being pro is "another well paid job". Ask Shawn Bradly, Keith Van Horn, Carl Pavano... Once they feel they get enough $$$, quit playing as much as you can. You tell me all such and such are never good at any thing else? Clearly not.

The thing pissed me off even more, if the author totally ignore the hardwork, but only state the natual build. Who told you that LBJ will be the next boxing champion, even though his body build looks like one? Does he even know Prince can swim or not? Now, champion for mult. medals??? Does he know that's hell of a difference between ball shooting and rifle shooting? Give me a big big break. :cool:

Also, I don't know why this author (and many others from western) draw the pic of CHN sports schools as a concentration camp. Do they know that even as of today, many poor family eagerly want their kids to attend sports school? Why? Because it's considered as a very good career! Imagine if the kid is good, he can earn a very reasonable salary when he's even 15 yrs old? I think that's very good of a deal, if your background is poor, and even a college grad. does not guarantee a job these days. Yes, they need to train hard, but it's not like train for 20 hrs per day, and only give 20 gram of rice for food. The sports school offer free education (of course, no level near Yale or Princeton), free coaching, free boarding, and free meal. All such and such, there are millions of others can't even afford and dream about. And once you want to leave, there's no one point a gun to your head something, or lock you up. Feel free to leave. Even ppl as good as Pi Hongyan, Xu H. Wen, etc are let go, even that means they are currently playing for other nations.

Also, I don't see anything wrong for selecting the young athlete based on their natual build. Do you want to select Yao Ming to a gymnastics team? Do you want to recruite Nastia Liukin to play basketball? Hell no, even if they tell you they want to. It's all about selection, whether your parent or your government give you the advice. The CHN use the government organizations, however, if you don't want your kid to go, you can say in loudly. Tell me the government going to lock you up, when you don't want to send your "3 yrs old talent" to play badminton or gymnastics. Come on, they have thounds of kids per city, if one wants to go or not, big deal. It's not like they can see a LD or a CJ or a GL when they were 3 yrs old something.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To rank the medals per team size participating in the Olympic Games

Yes, that's a cool site.

The medals won per nations' population is interesting. But I would like to rank the medals won per team size participating.

It's a great achievement for Mongolia to have won 2 Golds and 2 Silvers when they have only a small team of participants for the Olympic Games.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If we (as you see where I live now) really don't care about the medal counts, and truely salute to all atheletes, why I've heard over 5,000 times on NBC they call Michael Phelps the greatest Olympions because he have 14 gold, and 8 in 1 OG? Why they call Katie Hoff (nickname female Michael Phelps prior to OG) have a "disappointing OG" (nice enough did not say a total failure) since she did not even get 1 Gold after all such hype?

Team sports, team sports, Michael Phelps will never won 8 without his teammates in relays... How come his teammates never even being nicknamed as "greatest olympion's teamamate" or sidekicks??? Is that really a team??? :rolleyes:

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Only problem with that is it means those countries who support their athletes even if they are not likely to get a medal would look bad as big teams with few medals would be low down.

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Why not medals per number of total entries, cause one soccer team is already 11 people, so 1 gold medal for that soccer team isn't the 100% it should be.

12. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    For IOC, it is one gold per event, regardless of team, individual, double, or mix event.

Olmypic used to have a tie on gold medals where two or even three countries top an event, especially in gymnastic. That has changed with a tie breaker. Can't play more than 1 national anthem at one time ;)

13. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Absolutely agree. There are countries whose sportsman/sportswoman would never be winning any medals, but Olympics present a chance to compete with the world best, and through that hopefully they will exceed their personal best time or their own National record. These are equally great achivement from their perspective.

Besides the medal tally, which pits nations against nations, many individual athletes are actually competing with themselves to get to a higher level.

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Cooler

your view is very narrow. Gong Zhichao is short, she got in, was never asked to leave the team. In fact, LYB favored her over taller yi Z Ying for the WS final in 2000. Gu Jun is also short and she made it. Gong Ruina is much taller either Tall players tend to do better so we tend to see more of them. I think MAL has height restriction too, Hafiz is lousy but he's still around because he's taller than new entries:rolleyes:

a) It has been discussed here before that China has a min height requirement of 1.75 m for their male baddy players, my understanding is that's the normal rule or has that been changed? Kido is an example of how shorties can make it.
    If he was China player, when he was junior, before he proved himself internationally, would he had made the cut, or did they follow the min height requirement?

b) LCW is below 1.75 metres, so are TCS, CWF, Arif Latif, etc. Only WCH, Hafiz are above 1.75 metres. Of the 6 Msia senior MD pairs = 12 players, only KKK, TBH, uncles are above 1.75 m. Most are only 1.71 to 1.73 metres. So are the back-up players. For Msia, the tallies, > 1.77 m for guys, are few.
    LD, CJ, BCL, Chen Yu, Chen Hong, etc, etc, who among them are shorter than 1.75 metres?

c) Isnt there also a min height requirement for female players?
    This Gong Zhichao, how short was she? According to this site http://en.beijing2008.cn/42/93/article211929342.shtml, she's 1.63 metres.

Current top China WS players, XXF, ZN, Zhu Lin, Lu Lan, are tallies or at least taller than Msia no 1 & no 2 WS = WMC (1.64 m) & Julia Wong( 1.58 m). Anita Kaur, Tee Jing Yi arent tallies either. Only Lydia Cheah is at 1.72 (??). Msia's no 1 WD : WPT/CEH are not tall (1.63). Ng Hui Lin is on the taller side. So, a lot of Msia female players are as "short" as Gong (I consider 1.63 to be medium). Same case, the tallies are fewer than medium/short.
    And that's comparing Asian with Asian.

This topic of height was also discussed in China's baddy forums when WMC won CHina Open 2007, as that WMC isnt a tallie, she can make it, sthing like China should look into it, not tall players can also play, etc,etc.

hmmm, Mr. yoyo hafiz isn't good, why is he in the squad sucking up public money?
    again, huh? I was refering to Kido, the MD gold medalist who's a shortie. And if it's Msia players = Zakry from Fuzzy pair, who's 1.69 metres. And the topic height, body shape, that kinda stuff, in relation to player/sportsperson selection. As yourself honestly, if MK is a China player,at 1.68 metres, when he was a raw youngster, would he had been chosen or deemed "too short" to fit the criteria. That was the point with the weightlifter -> too short issue.

Hafiz's issue & Msia's selection problems is another different one & I never said it's a good selection process, or that I like it - sensitive issue.;)

And no hard feelings, Mr :cool:. Cool:D:D

#54 eaglehelang, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton players don't have to be tall

eaglehelang ... I agree with you. Badminton players don't have to be tall.

What I find is that taller players have an advantage in playing the above net-height shots, but shorter players have an advantage in playing the below net-height shots.

:):):)

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The US uses two medals counting system, depending on which system puts it ahead. In the 1896 Olympics, which was small in scale compared with the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the US media claimed the US won the Olympics with less total medals than Greece but with one gold ahead:

Countries No.1 No.2 No.3 Total
    USA 11 7 2 20
    Greece 10 16 19 45

Very strange mathematics or politics indeed.

17. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I believe if next time US doesn't lead in tot medal count or gold medal count, they will come up a new counting system to put US on top. They are good at it. :)