Going to be in Tubingen from the 11th to the 14th June

Discussion in 'Europe' started by yippo888, Jun 3, 2018.

1. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Hi Guys,

@ucantseeme or any of the others from Germany
    im in Tubingen for work for a few days if there is any chance of me catching up with some of you and maybe get a chance to have a friendly be good quality game of badminton?!
    i cant bring shoes and clothes but itll be different to bring a racket so might need to borrow one.

R

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Unfortunately, I don't think any Badminton Central members I'm aware of live in Tübingen. @ucantseeme is far closer to myself (Düsseldorf, towards the Netherlands) than Tübingen.

However, a casual Internet search turned up a number of clubs in Tübingen:
    Usually, all German clubs allow new members to play for free for a week or two before they have to join. Most of the time, clubs welcome guest players and let them play for free. Some clubs may also require a small fee (like 2-10€) to join per night. It is certainly good form to offer one, but not required - virtually all clubs play in school / city sports halls and pay a token amount per year for the full usage rights during their training times.

It is advisable to contact the email / phone number on the club's badminton website (most clubs are multi-sports, you must contact the head of the Badminton section), especially if you want a loaner racket. Alternatively, you can just show up at the designated Badminton times and train/play, but then you risk that the club is full / playing at another location / unwillingness to loan you a racket.

In a large majority of German clubs, all players are expected to contribute shuttles equally, so you should bring a tube of shuttles as well. All brands of feather shuttles are fine; some clubs will have low-level groups that play with plastic shuttles as well, and some small clubs only play with plastic shuttles.

There are also some commercial playing centers where you can loan a racket and buy shuttles, but most of the people there come to play with their family and friends. The standard of play in most of these centers is very low; most people cannot play a clear. The only one I could find in Tübingen is focused on Squash and has only one Badminton court.

If you can't bring racket and shuttles (how come? One or two should easily fit into baggage, even if you are flying), you can also buy both at most sport stores. The large all-around sport stores are Intersport and Karstadt Sport, both of which should have a basic Badminton selection.

Have fun!

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Not 500 km, but 250 km for me. So I have to pass, sorry.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

We are getting closer.... but it's still around 200 km to Tübingen for me. So I'm afraid I'll have to pass too.

6. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Awww no worries guys. Still feeling the love!

7. Yulius

Yulius Regular Member

about 100 km here, but I see you come on Monday.. I am unfortunately only play on weekend.

8. jlp2097

jlp2097 Regular Member

Guess I would have been the closest one (Stuttgart, ~25km). Tübingen is quite nice, isn't it?

9. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    its it was lovely there. never mind next time. im changing jobs but ill still have the opportunity to travel so will post again next time i am in Germany:)

s_mair likes this.