Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    To win a tournament, they need to be consistent. When they are in top-form, they can beat anyone, but they just cannot maintain that level throughout the whole tournament.

2. zatoino

zatoino Regular Member

their only best play of all time is during 2015 Sudirman Cup Group Stage against KOR team MD Lee/Yoo as Goh/Tan played very solid strategy to beat the KOR pair...

if only till today they can still play like that, they confirm able to win any match whoever against with...

x9981x likes this.
  3. zatoino

zatoino Regular Member

20 years ago, Cheah Soon Kit/Yap Kim Hock reach the Olympic Game Final; 20 years later, is Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong turns to reach the final in an epic moment...!!

visor and ah_lim like this.
  4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Congratulation to Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong for winning a historic silver medal in Olympic game, hope they can keep it up for the next 4 years...

ah_lim likes this.
  5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

RIO DE JANEIRO: What an Olympic it has been for Tan Wee Kiong-Goh V Shem.

Nobody gave them a ghost of a chance to win a medal, let alone fight for the gold.

Yet there they were, on Friday, slugging it out point for point before losing 21-16, 11-21, 21-23 to world No. 4 Fu Haifeng-Zhang Nan at the Riocentro Pavilion 4.

But it could all have been so different as they came so close to springing the biggest upset in the Olympic badminton competition when they held two match points – at 20-19 and 21-20.

Unfortunately, the Malaysians cracked under pressure as Haifeng-Zhang Nan levelled the scores on both occasions before capitalising on the Malaysians’ two unforced errors to clinch China’s first badminton gold in Rio.

“We are disappointed, but at the same time we are grateful for the silver. Hopefully, we can keep up after this in other competitions. I think we did a great job here, beating a number of seeds (in our run to the final),” said V Shem.

V Shem admitted it was disheartening to lose the last few points through errors.

“We were very focused but, at the crucial moments, we could not make it. That was really, really disappointing.”

Wee Kiong said: “Anybody who plays in a final would be nervous and tense. We just didn’t manage the situation well enough.”

Looking back, there had been signs of something special brewing starting from the group stages itself.

V Shem-Wee Kiong topped Group B in style – including triumphing 16-21, 21-15, 21-18 over Haifeng-Zhang Nan – to stroll into the quarter-finals

In the last eight, V Shem-Wee Kiong produced an even bigger shock – stunning world No. 1 Lee Yong-dae and Yoo Yeon-seong of South Korea 17-21, 21-18, 21-19.

In the last four, the world No. 12 Malaysians upped the ante to upstage world No. 5 Chai Biao-Hong Wei of China 21-18, 12-21, 21-17.

Having seen off some of the world’s best, it would have been the perfect ending to their fairytale run.

Alas, it wasn’t to be.

So, what’s next for V Shem-Wee Kiong?

Wee Kiong said they would take a rest first before deciding on their plans for the rest of the year.

“All we need now is to calm down and relax. After a rest, we will discuss with our coaches what to do next,” he added.

He said he would not forget the experience of playing in the world’s biggest Games.

“This is my first Olympics and I won a silver. It’s like a dream,” said Wee Kiong.

“I would like to thank my friends, family, coaches and all the Malaysian supporters. We did all we could. It’s not a medal for us, it’s for all of Malaysia.”

V Shem-Wee Kiong can indeed walk with their heads held high all Malaysians are proud of what they have done. This is one silver that is as precious as gold.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ble-olympics-experience-for-wee-kiong-v-shem/

visor, LightningStrike and mafan like this.
  6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

hope they can maintain their current form and then need to reduce the service fault and stress, because there will be very difficult to play without form when against some pairs like INA's Angga Pratama/Ricky Karanda Suwardi and Gideon Markus Fernaldi/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They haven't done so well in previous tournaments. When suddenly you play in the biggest match of your life, anything can happen.

They paid for their lack of consistency in all previous SS tournaments that they never reached the semifinals and finals. If they had done, they would be used to playing in finals and the muscles wouldn't tighten up at a crucial shot like the serve.

8. eaglehelang

GVS and his family taking photo at the airport upon arrival from Brazil
    The girl on the left dressed in white is his gilrfriend, not sister

#88 eaglehelang, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. eaglehelang

SEPANG: Before he left for Rio, badminton heartthrob Tan Wee Kiong told his fiancé Chia Shi Leng: “I will bring a medal home”. He was true to his word.

And the self-employed Chia, 27, was elated as she awaited her husband-to-be with a bouquet of flowers to greet him at KLIA.

“He fulfilled his promise to bring home a medal and I’m very proud of his achievement.

“I can’t wait to see him. I miss him so much,” said the soft-spoken Chia, adding that they were planning to register their marriage in October.

Wee Kiong’s sister Tan Yun Ying, 15, was equally proud of her brother’s victorious outing in Rio.

The 27-year-old shuttler’s parents Cham Swee, 52, and Yok Hua, 50, were also present with some 30 relatives who travelled all the way from Johor yesterday.

Wee Kiong and his partner Goh V Shem won the silver medal in the Rio Olympics badminton men’s doubles.

V Shem’s father Ricky, 57, was also seen eagerly waiting with his wife Ng Ley Kim, 55 and other family members.

“A silver medal is a great success but I’ve told him not to be too proud, to keep working hard and aim for the gold medal in Tokyo.

“Our family has always been supporting and encouraging him but we did not set any target as we don’t want to put too much pressure on him.

“As long as he plays the game well, it doesn’t matter if it’s a win or loss. We’re very happy with his silver medal as we did not expect any medal to be won,” said Ricky.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/08/25/groomtobe-keeps-his-word-to-bring-silver-home/

visor likes this.
  10. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    That may be true. However, I feel differently. I think it is because they had not done that well previously that they made it to the finals and won a silver. Had they been very successful previously, other pairs would have had them in their crosshairs and more importantly, there would have been tremendous pressure on them to win the gold. I think for Olympic Games success, one has to be significantly better (one class above) than the other athletes in your sport (e.g., Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt), or lurk in the background and spring a surprise on the biggest stage in sports. Kind of like having to be a "crouching tiger, hidden dragon."

While GVS/TWK did not win gold, they performed well beyond expectations and probably would not have been on the podium if they had enjoyed significant success before the Olympics. I have always felt that such timing was the reason Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong did not win the gold in the Olympics. When they burst into the limelight some eight or nine years ago, they were practically unbeatable for about a year. They got noticed and were expected to win gold in the 2008 OG. Expected but dejected.

Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying, P.V. Sindhu, Viktor Axelsen and Chris Langridge/Marcus Ellis were the other badminton players who lurked in the background leading up to the OG. They all ended on the podium and even if it was not their first choice of color, they were all winners. Despite his previous successes, Chen Long was the ultimate "hidden dragon" and took home the grand prize.

#90 mafan, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't disagree with you about the run up but I was merely referring to the microsituation of the final itself. Not all the other previous matches.

12. mafan

mafan Regular Member

I agree with you about the micro-situation of the final itself. I just wanted to say that they would probably not have been in the final had they been more successful leading up to the OG.

#92 mafan, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Goh and Tan must be soundly congratulated on their silver. Although gold would've been nicer, but they really played well above what was expected from them throughout the OG campaign, taking down Lee/Yoo and Chai/Hong in the QF and SF.

Their service errors are not because they don't practice serves enough. It's been said that during practice and normal game situations, they can get it almost perfect every single time. Problem is during the crunch time during the rubber set after playing for 1.5 hrs, that's when fatigue and pressure and lack of big matches experience get to them. Give them more time, and more experience, and they will get better.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are they Dato Goh V Shem / Dato Tan Wee Kiong now ?

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are they Dato Goh V Shem / Dato Tan Wee Kiong now ?

16. mafan

mafan Regular Member

Mea culpa! You are absolutely right. Come to think of it, I had not thought that their serves were deficient throughout their partnership. The two service errors in a short period of time in the rubber game clouded my judgment and made me comment that they needed to improve their serves. You and Cheung are correct that in the micro-situation of that final match, lack of big game experience and fatigue played a part. I have thus edited my post above (#92) to remove the comment on serves.

Cheung and visor like this.
  17. eaglehelang

Chong Wei and seven other Olympic medallists – men’s doubles pair Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, mixed doubles pair Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying and synchro divers Pandelela Rinong-Cheong Jun Hoong (all silver) and cyclist Azizulhasni Awang (bronze) – were rewarded with cash incentives totalling RM315,000 by XOX Mobile at a ceremony yesterday for their achievements in Rio.

Peng Soon-Liu Ying and Azizulhasni were absent yesterday.

XOX Mobile rewarded the silver medallists with RM60,000 each (the pairs shared the amount equally) and the bronze medallist RM25,000.

Chong Wei received a total of RM110,000, including RM50,000 for doing the XOX Mobile proud as its brand ambassador.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ei-says-hendrawan-contributed-to-his-success/

Other Media:
    http://www.hmetro.com.my/node/162048

18. Satoshi

Satoshi Regular Member

Well well, what did I say? Congrats to wee kiong/vshem! They've done a duly well job in this edition of OG.

19. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

after Olympic strong outing, hope they can keep on form on later Korea SS and Japan SS, no matter who's their opponents, just fight them all...

20. visor

visor Regular Member

With more match and finals experience, hopefully they can and will master their nerves near the end of their games, especially Goh.