Goh Jin Wei

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by bengyeam, Jun 14, 2015.

1. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I think it's a good decision,and BAM doesn't really treat players all that well either in my opinion(based on how often and easily they drop players), so I think it's good if she switches and tries something else when she's young. Wish her all the best

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It’s reported in Star online apparently from a YouTube video she posted up today

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

National women's singles shuttler Jin Wei drops bombshell retirement announcement

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...n-wei-drops-bombshell-retirement-announcement

EXCERPTS:
    The 21-year-old made the announcement via her personal YouTube channel on Monday morning, saying that the decision was made due to health reasons.

Jin Wei said she's still struggling to cope with her physical condition after being diagnosed with a stomach ailment that required a colectomy procedure (a type of surgery used to treat colon diseases) in mid-2019.

However, she has not not been able to recover fully ever since and is dependent on a "number" of medications daily for continuous treatment.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) could not be reached for confirmation.

"The number of medications that I need to consume has increased to keep me going every day. For the sake of my own health, I have no choice but to end my career early.

"I quit with a lot of regrets and unwillingness. But I believe that I have a life long journey to go through. I believe that I can still excel in other fields in the future as long as I am willing to work hard for it," she said.

4. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

What a blow to Malaysian Badminton!!. Sad news indeed. I hope she can recover fully and make a comeback

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

yeah, hope she can come back to national team once she finally fully recover from the injuries she having right now...

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I notice her when she was 10. I guess she wasted a good 3 years of competitive play. Difficult to make it back now. Better rest and live a simple normal life. Very good potential like ASY korea. ;)

7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Her situation does not indicate the possibility of a comeback and seeing how she has already lost 2 years of training, it seems pretty clear that we won't see her again on court at the professional level. Sad to see her retire at such a young age. She had some serious potential. Best of luck to her regarding her future endeavors.

8. slai

slai New Member

Goh Jin Wei has just announced she is stepping out of retirement via YouTube (
    )

Sundis likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Perhaps being a YouTuber or as an ordinary person is harder than being in the national team.

Nevertheless, having a break from the game for some players can be a good thing. Apart from when being ill, she probably hasn't had a break from badminton. Come back more motivated and clear about your aims.

10. slai

slai New Member

I guess its not easy since she joined the Malaysian Badminton National Team at a really young age and had been on the badminton world circuit since then which she had made lots of sacrifices in her life. It is probably not too far fetch to say she probably only knows about playing badminton in her life and without playing badminton it is rather rather difficult for her to survive financially.

Nevertheless, hope she can have a good career despite her health issues.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

The more I read/watch the social media content from Malaysia (GJW, TBH, Woon KW…), the more I feel Malaysia’s badminton scene is pretty interesting. We see a lot of criticism or even mockery of BAM, but behind it, it’s a pretty flexible system in a badminton loving country, in a sense that it allows different ways of making a living playing badminton. Made me root for Malaysia more for all the badminton loving people there :)

sen and Cheung like this.
  12. extremenanopowe

BAM sleeping. How many ws fr msia playing india open???? All pundeks inside leaving out gohjw. Bad politics. Very shameful bully.

Sue them. Denying prize money. ;)

13. extremenanopowe

NSC very sad state. Good that there are seniors to help out. Luckily Malaysia got a big market for private companies to support. Very sad. Any lawyers to help her???? Deprived of potential prize money. ;)

https://fb.watch/as6NB97hBn/

#193 extremenanopowe, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  14. extremenanopowe

Btw, anyone know how much those pro badminton players gets in order to advertise on their front tshirt? What about those on sleeve side? Can help ssk those buddies who knows them? Any minimum or max sum? Am trying to help them get sponsors. Thanks.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Who says BAM preventing Goh Jin Wei from doing anything?

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    gjw said so on a video she posted. she was discussing her current situation w/ a professional female squash player from malaysia.

17. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

In her recent youtube live, she did mention that BAM deny her entry into India Open because she needs to apply as an independent player to join. However other independent players did not face any problem.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks. Interesting interview.

Definitely odd story - was she drawn against another Malaysian player in the first round?

Story from BAM about registering as an independent player. She's not now under contract to BAM unless there's some clause that she has been bonded under the rules of the previous contract. (For example, a junior player in HK going for trials for the HK squad has to first sign an understanding that they cannot play for another country for three years even if they don't get into the squad).

Lost her whole colon - I doubt physiologically she can maintain the physical demands for singles training.

#198 Cheung, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Moved posts about GJW from LZJ thread to here.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think GJW could have a chance of being a sparring partner for HK singles players. We have a couple of 18-19 year old girls who need to play someone with her experience.