Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm actually more of a fan of LCW's than LD's, but it's undeniable who's better. I was always rooting for LCW, and the 2011 and 2012 losses were pretty disappointing. 2013 was straight devastating.
    Your little "WC is just another title" idea would actually mean LCW was better because he won more titles overall - which anyone with even a rudimentary understanding will accurately disregard as utter nonsense.
    While LCW exceeded LD in terms of longevity, LD will certainly be remembered longer, and be rated higher. His peak was the highest we've ever seen (so far).

I think you can't make a clear distinction like that. People are talented to different degrees and in different areas. Both a natural talent for technique and reading of the game AND dedication and work ethic are really important qualities for a player. Markus happens to better in one area, Kevin in the other. I think from what they've said it's just that, the fact that they're different, that makes them respect each other and inspires them to keep working hard and improving...

#1821 j4ckie, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    justplaynow77 and samkool like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They have very tough R1 draws in Fuzhou and HK. In fact you can pick the toughest 9-32 seeds. No one can say MD is uncompetitive, i can never say they will 100% win even if they play against lousier players unlike other sectors. Its all about preparation and motivations. But they went through very difficult draw in AG so they will look to it with open hearts.

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

4. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

I like the fact that they still can be dangerous with kevin at the back and marcus at the front now. not only marcus has really improve his front court play, I think kevin has also improved from the back court. and he seems okay if the opponent challenge him to work harder from the backcourt.

5. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Minions post-match interview in DEN Open last week

Apparently Kevin speaks English way better than I could have expected. :D

badito likes this.
  6. wade

wade Regular Member

I like your profile picture better now, really can't stand those yellow jersey :D

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looks like listening comprehension is quite OK, speaking and expressing ideas is harder.

justplaynow77 and Saru like this.
  8. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

Exactly the point that i am trying to trigger here :) - they are a pair, yet I see a lot of messages flying around talking about so and so is lucky to have so and so, and so and so is lucky to be super talented. It is fun and controversial to discuss those 'what-ifs' and discuss the subject of 'luck'. But bottom line is, I think they have done their homework really well: understand each other, cover each other, practice hard, and have a freakin tough mental on court (did you see their latest game against Endo - Watanabe?)

Woman.in.Red likes this.
  9. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Close to end of year, it’s a good time to talk about consistency. It appears that of ALL highly ranked players, KSS/MFG is the only one that never exited before final 8. This includes the all mighty Momota, TTY and etc. One could argue a case for Zheng/Huang, who actually lasted till at least final 4 in all tournaments played except for the Korea Open which they quit without playing.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So Zheng/Huang actually always got to Top4 when they actually played...?

11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Yes they are truly dominating this year.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hmm I think so. They are the Unstoppables now. They hardly break a sweat when they play:D

13. wade

wade Regular Member

Probably one of my favorite shot from kevin beside the reverse slice dropshot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if gideon could learn to play shot like this it would help a lot, especially when they're playing in slow hall like in japan and french open.

yuquall likes this.
  14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

15. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

I just watched SF @ French Open and the commentator said that they only lose 4 matchs in 2018...

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I noticed that a few times since the one he did the reverse slice drop shot against Endo/Watanabe. He did that a lot before he hit his shuttle (so far most visible in the slo mo) from the back court. Maybe he does it all the time, but only captured on slow motion lately? I guess that's how he could hit so many variation shots from the back (or anywhere).

Zheng/Huang? I thought it was 5? meh.. close enough lol.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

How could he keep that shuttles from going wide, I wonder.
    Nah.. it would be too difficult especially Marcus who seems to have problems changing his grips. Marcus just needs to be much better at the front in slow halls so Kevin can do his magic from the back.

I really enjoy watching Kevin playing in slow hall now, but a bit worried with his stamina and drop of accuracy (when not in form).

wade likes this.
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You don't actually need to do that to have variation from the back court. You can play all shots with the same grip (if its correct for the situation you're in). Check out LCW or LD, they don't have this exaggerated gripping motion.....its just something he does.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well I said I guessed it was how HE hit the shots variation:) Just never noticed that before, and wondering if that was something new or something he has always done. The way he does it, no wonder how he once accidentally threw his racket to the floor after smashing.

wade and badito like this.
  20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Confidence comes from looking down on others. Do you think it just comes from thin air.