Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

You mean Masita Mahmudin?

badito likes this.
  2. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

So, its true that Kevin was just going thru breakup recently...

Kevin just confirmed that in a recent interview with Indonesian famous youtubers.

Aside from breakup news, some other things revealed...

Q:
    Kevin get asked who is his favourite player or who inspired him most in MD, XD, MS and WD.
    A:
    MD: Sigit Budiarto
    XD : Liliyana Natsir
    MS : Lin Dan
    WD: Gronya Somerville (Kevin thinks that Gronya is the most beautiful badminton athlete) :D

Q:
    Kevin get asked what does he secretely admire about his partner in Men's Doubles, Marcus Gideon.
    A:
    His enthusiasm.. Kevin feels awful being lazy when they should have done some training.

Watch the full interview in this video below!
    (It's in Bahasa but there is English subtitle available). ;)

#1782 RoarRa, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    badito likes this.
  3. badito

badito Regular Member

Maybe, it's just a gossip

Sent from my Redmi 5A using Tapatalk

4. wade

wade Regular Member

Sigit sugiarto ? or budiarto ? :confused:

I'm surprised he didn't mention hendra.

badito likes this.
  5. badito

badito Regular Member

Sigit Budiarto, it's just a typo

Sent from my Redmi 5A using Tapatalk

6. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Oops sorry..

I just mistyped the name after reading some news about Tommy's father. lolz

Well, there is no surprise Kevin looking up at him in adoration since Sigit B. used to be his coach back in PB. Djarum Kudus.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So he is 23 this year. The Wikipedia and BWF profile both get his birth year wrong then.

Marcus keeps him from slacking off, that's good to hear:D

badito likes this.
  8. minions

minions Regular Member

I saw in one video that Kevin himself stated that he is born in 1995. As for Marcus's part, that's good for Kevin. But, really, every INA players should follow Marcus' work ethic. He is not very talented, but he is very hard worker. If it isn't for his hard work, I don't think Marcus/Kevin partnership will be formed at all.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

That's his biggest talent, I supposed. Without it, he knows that he doesn't have much to offer. Admirable, really. Most would have just given up but not he. :) Stubborn too lol.

Funny how things work sometimes, if not for he feeling neglected and quit the team afterwards or if Kevin's previous partner didn't get ill when he sincerely accepted the invitation from the national team, none of this would have happened. Right place right time.

10. minions

minions Regular Member

It is as if God has done His part. But, miracle and luck will never truly happen without hard work and never-say-die attitude. Everything works differently. Minions reach the level they are now because they work hard, keep improving, and most importantly remained strong when they are several points behind. Their ability to comeback from behind is real, no matter how bad their form is. Because of this, they won AG gold medal. They thank to God afterwards and really felt the miracle.

wade, Woman.in.Red and badito like this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As I said, you seem to have no concept of competition. Just because an almost irrelevant tournament has been around a long time doesn't mean it's important. That badminton was irrelevant in most of the world for the longest time doesn't mean the OG are meaningless for it. That badminton was mismanaged (and still is, in some eyes;) ) and didn't have a WC (or include China) for a long time doesn't mean the most competitive annual event is somehow diminished in its importance.
    Not a single player in the world will value the FO over the WC. Only few will rate the AE higher than the WC.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The fact that Fu won major titles with different partner showcases that it was definitely not on his partner alone to win those titles, and the same goes for Tony Gunawan and Hemdra Setiawan. That a player can't achieve greatness with bad partners is just a feature of doubles, but you cant go around saying "there might be an even better player out there who just doesn't have good partners" either - that's almost like saying LD isn't the GOAT because there are more talented kids out there who don't have the right circumstances (training, support)

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    there is no prize money for wc, yet everyone wants to win it.
    so why does everyone want to win it? why does everyone peak for it? which sounds better, '3 time all england champion' or '3 time world champion'...?
    tell that to these past multiple winners:
    5x: lin dan, park joo-bong, zhao yun-lei
    4x: lilyana natsir, cai yun/fu hai feng, zhang nan, gao ling
    3x: carolina marin, hendra setiawan, kim dong-moon and the 7 other 3x winners

14. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

I somehow feel the need to get the discussion on topic, i.e. Kevin / Markus pair :)

Interesting to see how in 2 years they move from ranking 75 to ranking 1 and remain comfortably in that position, already winning 6 (IIRC) titles YTD 2018. I think luck and external conditions have minimal impact on this.

I guess in summary we have these 4 "million-dollar" questions:
    Will Kevin be rank 1 without Markus? (His highest rank in 2015 was 32)
    Will Markus be rank 1 without Kevin? (He was out of pelatnas and highest rank in 2015 was 8 with Markis Kido).
    Is Markus really lack of talent?
    Which one do you think will give better result as an athlete? 80% talent, 20% work ethics, or 20% talent, 80% work ethics?

15. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

Hmm but to be fair on the other side we do have to admit that FHF is lucky to have great partner on both occasion, I am sure like say if he is not partnered with Zhang Nan things would have gone differently, or example if he is partnered with Liu Cheng I don't think he would perform really well. Zhang Nan is highly rated by a lot of people and his achievement do make me agree with it. I mean he has several partners and would be considered successful with a lot of them. Regarding World Championship to me personally its just another tournament, and I do agree that Kevin/Marcus is still missing this title, but I think everyone here can agree that it was not their luck/momentum that makes them without WC title yet, but skill and talent wise I think they are capable of winning WC, just havent found the right timing yet, and I think they have at least 2-3 chances to compete at WC so I think in the future the possibility of them having a WC title in their career is at least 70%, its just a matter of when :)

badito likes this.
  16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I only know some people here are already born when WC started. i certainly am not born when AE started. That, is prestige.End of discussion.
    Dont need to make things complicated.

Of course WC is just another title. Not the end of the world if you didnt win it, In fact, it looks more like its the end of the world if you win it( Li/Liu, LiuZhang can attest to that).

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Seems like you only judge someones career on WC. yeah that counts as 5 titles for LinDan. Of course LD titles add up all together since the Open tournaments might be close to or more than LCW. So there 50:50 arguments who are better.

Consistency is key in judging who is better. I prefer tennis though, as there is no WC. Number of big titles speak for it 4 big titles which are fair enough and 10 ATP1000 rather than 1 title making up for what cannot be won.

#1797 Yoji, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

That is what we usually call antique instead of prestige for things that existed before we were born.

You should try convincing LCW that. Maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick exerting himself to win one.

j4ckie likes this.
  19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think LCW wanted OG. WC is just one tournament that he cant win that he tried every year
    If LCW that won 5 WC and Lindan Win 0. I think you wouldnt say so. So much biases lol.

badito likes this.
  20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

If LCW had won 5 WC and Lin Dan 0, I don't think we would have had this debate in the first place.