Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Have they transformed a little? With Kevin spending more time at the rear and Gideon at the front, they seem to play in a more flexible way. In a strange way I feel they play more like the top WS like FukuHiro, and Polii/Rahayu, they don’t necessarily rely on a quick point of absolute dominance, instead they can tolerate long rallies and win by consistency.

Let’s see how they play with Hoki and Kobayashi. The Japanese pair can’t be beat be playing passively.

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah, my favourite match is when they play ShettyRR. Really tactical, nothing fast and furious. Its different from all the matches they ever played.

3. MilaRedkani

MilaRedkani New Member

KSS is still the best MD player at the moment - says Steen. I agree.
    Entertaining? yes, agree. His antics? me loving and hating it at the same time :oops:

Attached Files:

Lucan likes this.
  4. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Too bad they won’t play in WC, they really have a good chance this year…

Lucan likes this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

50,000$ bonus for Kevin for winning TC, IO and IO hattrick, thats just from the club alone.

from all of course i gotta feel the most for Gideon, not sure he gets anything that is official.

Leo&Daniel got 25,000 each

Lucan likes this.
  6. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

It seems that INA players used the holiday break to enhanced their relationships with their off court partners or finally published their relationships. Jojo and Vito are now engaged with their girlfriends. Fajar was also openly went out with his GF.

Congratulation.

Kevin also finally published his relationship after a year with Valencia Tanoesoedibjo.

Tanoesoedibjo clan is a very wealthy media tycoon family. Her father is a billionaire (in $) and the founder of a national political party with memeable anthem song. She’s also a CEO of her own right, the chairman of a TV station and also a businesswoman with multiple projects.

The more enthusiastic part of INA badminton fans already knew this for quite a while ever since they found out that she sent Kevin expensive gifts. She’s older than him, which seems to be Kevin’s preference. AFAIK, he’s only in a very few confirmed relationship and all of them are older than him. I think it’s normal but it seems that from what I’ve seen, for some Indonesians it’s ‘not the norm’ (although come on, it’s not like it’s rare. Even in badminton we also have Ahsan, Marcus, Lin Dan, Zhang Nan, etc who have an older wife).

I saw several people called Kevin ‘Berondong’/‘Brondong’ (means ‘popcorn’ in Indonesian, but ‘young sweet corn’ in Javanese. A slang used for attractive young men, especially for the ones who are in a relationship with older person) which I found to be hysterical. People are also making assumptions over the fact that MNC Group (Valencia’s family company) recently bought all the rights to air BWF tournaments for several years and was a major sponsor for 2021 Bali leg and her family own the resort that all participants stayed in.

Kevin only posted a simple pic and it blew up and media milk it, even though both of them are not exactly celebrities. But frankly it could be annoying because if he loses/underperforms, then there are people who will use the relationship as a scapegoat and attack their social media accounts, just like what happened to Rian-Ribka recently. Fortunately, I don’t think people will blame their relationship much if Jojo or Vito underperforms because they’re already engaged and their relationship aren’t as high profile.

And because I’m not into shipping and players’ romantic relationships, I'll need to dodge and comb through fans’ shipping contents when I’m looking for info and updates. Which can be tiring. I usually check on them because they’re dedicated and diligent, often share info faster than officials.

#6426 Lucan, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    esppy and Cheung like this.
  7. sen

sen Regular Member

I don't follow social media anymore and even last time, I never bother to read comment.
    I don't know why a lot of Indonesians like to comment on famous people social media

I think it is always good to have a relationship but I just hope there is no politic later. I rather see badminton player going into business than politic

8. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

It’s weird isn’t it? They’re indeed famous and considered public figures, but in the end they’re athletes, not entertainment industry figures (regardless who they in a relationship with). Too many Indonesians are ‘kepo’ (invasively curious) over famous person’s private life and are online bullies. They could be the loudest supporters but also could be the rudest, meanest bullies. Many of them will blame anything in an athlete’s life as reason of their failure/ decline and could also attack people who are close to them. I used to think that online bullying wouldn’t affect athletes as much as entertainment figures and they didn’t read that many comments but after several cases I was obviously very wrong.

I agree with Sen. I also prefer athletes to get into business or anything but politic. INA political scene is way too messy and dangerous.

It’s very rare to see athletes become part of INA famous politician’s family by marriage. I can only recall Akbar Nasution (Akbar Tandjung’s son-in-law) and Taufik Hidayat (Agum Gumelar’s son-in-law). Tanoe clan maybe wealthier than Tandjung and Gumelar families but they’re still ‘new’ in the political scene. If Kevin’s relationship last and he’d be a part of Tanoe clan, I couldn’t see him as a politician at all (although some would persuade him to venture into politics). Not only the lack of background and experience, he’s just not a public speaker and squirms in front of cameras. Mental imageries of him awkwardly doing some promotion and commercial for Per**** with that anthem in the background are just too hilarious.

#6428 Lucan, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Cheung likes this.
  9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Perhaps their style of playing is easily read by competitors. Especially fellow countrymen.

Age is catching up as well. Seems a bit slower now. Speed is what made them no. 1 and winning titles.

Without speed especially in doubles, its tough. Also, without power, its even tougher. Daddies are exceptions tho. They are better in anticipation. Minions not as much. Imo. ;)

10. sen

sen Regular Member

So Marcus was already injured last year, probably during Thomas Cup and definitely during the European tournament straight after Thomas Cup.
    Despite that Minions still the most successful Indonesian pair in 2021.

So even if they went to the World Championship, they probably would not get good result despite less competition

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

is kevin injured or something ? i don't remember him using tape on his right arm back then

when i see him laying down on the court after their match against the thailand pair in ina masters last week i knew he's not really 100%, usually he's pretty durable

12. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

With Marcus still recovering after surgery and Rambitan with an ACL injury, is there a possibility that PBSI will pair Kevin with a new partner?
    maybe with kusumawardana, or even with Daniel Martin

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

maybe. Its unfortunate, if any it would have been Kevin/Rambitan. Rambitan has one powerful smash due this his toned arms, cant be said with Martin. I guess most of player hands do look that fat.

So the best smasher than INA have is either Rian/Rambitan. I did watch Rambitan smash and he looks like he has his own style of jumping smash, its really unfortunate. Pramudya doesnt excite me, he just looks like RehanNaufal / RinovR

14. sen

sen Regular Member

Marcus is not the best smasher. Kevin's partner needs to be someone who is hardworking, willing to cover the court and can play fast

15. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

herry ip clearly not happy with kevin's attitude after IO masters and IO open

If you're big kevin fan, don't look at the replies below :D HE GOT CRUCIFIED by the fans

people also finally realize that kevin probably the only player on pelatnas that has that "untouchable" aura, that's why none of his juniors are close with him, a lot of his juniors are following gideon on instagram, very few followed kevin there.

#6435 melon94, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  16. Habisin-Habisin

Anyone knows how Kevin's temper has been all this time, but fans choose not to care about it all because on the other hand he has given many titles to INA.
    If now a lot of fans are cursing him, it seems more like an expression of disappointment because of his failure to win the title.
    In the end, fans only care about the title.
    Even if you act a lot, you will still be defended as long as you excel.
    Even when you look cool and sweet you will still be blamed if you don't excel.

17. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

i agree to some extend, but on the other hand i feel like people are just disappointed the way kevin behave towards gideon, i mean he knew gideon wasn't even close to 100%, what did he expect ? i don't remember gideon ever gave kevin that "look" when he knew kevin wasn't playing well

18. Habisin-Habisin

Fully agree with this,
    On the other hand, Gideon is humble and respectful of his partner.
    In an interview on Anders Antonsen's podcast, he didn't even say anything bad about Kevin, but instead praised him

19. om patel

om patel Regular Member

No minions next three tournaments as said by coach Henry
    My question is while marcus recovers can Kevin be written- In or try to qualify to these tournaments with another partner ?

20. sen

sen Regular Member

He can but not if they are already in the tournament m/q list and withdrew.

om patel likes this.