Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Coach Herry spoke very highly of Watanabe, I don't remember when the last time he praise the other player like this

samkool likes this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not i started that.

if you look at the thread or AE thread , maybe you should ask why people mentioned the name above first when they talk about Kevin.. funny.

#6082 Yoji, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  3. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I don't remember when it was but I remember you once said that kevin is already better than hendra because of the consistency and number of SS titles.

4. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah man I love it. Clash of styles is always interesting to watch. We had FHF/CY attack against LYD/JJS defence in the past, that was great too.

Baddie lover likes this.
  5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes, in terms of consistency and number of SS titles , with his age, he is already better than Hendra. Hendra didnt win 7 SS in a year. AllEngland is equal or maybe already more finals . He is missing Olympics though but overall,i dont think it determines much. (even the Olympics are not gonna be held). though one of attributes of Hendra is he is a long lasting like Boe.

to put it, i dont think he will have achieved less if he ends up not winning Olympic & WC though any medals of any color will be nice to have. (havent tried OG)

6. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Hendra played in much tougher era though.

7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

No vinions from Kevin's bag ? Disappointed :(

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

True but just like Momota, just because the difference of WR1 and 2 is far, it doesnt mean competition is weaker , in fact its actually its tougher thats why the WR2 ends up way behind. you can also say the top 20 in this era is much harder than the top 20 in those era. By what i mean is the R1 & R2 matches are much tougher in these eras for top pairs.

9. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

I know BWF ranking is official but technically in Japan National Team, they are technically now the Japanese MD #1 as they won the All Japan. Plus, they've just generally been doing much better than Kamura and Sonoda since then. (e.g. WTF finals-finals, AE, HKO 19 Semis, French Open Semis). KamSon have been crashing out on a regular basis.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No tournaments for a months or even longer. It's going to be tough.. BAC's fate is unknown. Most likely cancelled or postponed again.
    More countries are locking down.

Heard the INA team are being quarantined for 14 days before rejoining the training camp. They are not allowed out of the room, food are being delivered to their door. Guess minions will be in their rooms for the whole time/

Baddie lover likes this.
  11. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

BAC is postponed,
    Drawing of Thomas Uber is also postponed

We may not have any tournaments till May

12. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ There is not many conversations in Yuta's thread, but I often open video clips on youtube to watch and learn Yuta's skills.

Kevin have talent as well, he's fast and his brain was fast too, but I cannot learn from him because I didn't have that kind of swiftness. ^-^

People talk about Kevin more because of many reasons. To give some examples:

- Kevin was fun to talk about, he sometimes provokes opponents. And this would be a so HOT topic. This can lead a lot of fans from differrent pairs come to this thread.
    - A lot of Indonesian fans in this forum.
    - Kevin was the number 1 on ranking table, it means he was brighter than other Indonesia players in this time. People tend and was eager to talk about the number 1. (like Momota's thread).

#6092 terrynguyen121988, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Yoji likes this.
  13. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I heard Kevin switched to Aerobite boost recently, I wonder if that explains why he's hitting a bit harder? Because it's weird how noticeable the power difference is, players this deep into their careers usually don't just magically get a higher power ceiling out of nowhere like this

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Kevin is probably the athlete one want to copy but almost impossible because what he can do on court is not something one can learn and probably not recommended to. His interceptions, for example, while coaches and basic learning should tell players to just make short movement to intercept, Kevin almost always takes a full swing to hit the shuttles, which is actually rather unthinkable. Most players would mess up the timing for doing that, but Kevin pulled it off successfully most of the time. Also, many of his shots are merely reactions and reflexes.

Weird thing is that he is wearing spectacles off court, how can he see so clearly on court without ones. I wonder if he is wearing contacts.

As for his character on court, it will always invite different opinions. He's one player that no one can ignore for sure.
    I don't understand what you meant of Kevin being lighter than other Indonesia players?

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I had wondered the same thing. Though I know almost nothing about rackets nor strings and what they can do.
    Some guessed that he has also been doing a special training to increase his power to accommodate playing in slow halls, hence the straps on his shoulder.

16. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

He does

yuquall likes this.
  17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Fair enough..

he works hard to be WR1. More people will talk about WR1 at that point in time compare to being OlympicChampion/ WorldCHamp if you notice.. no one talks about LiuZhang . If thats what happened, i'll be disappointed too. If Kevin becomes lazy after winning Olympic, then whats the point? While for some players thats probably their limit but for Kevin, he is destined for WR1 a long time.

MD competition is so much tougher these days than 10 years ago. 10 years ago, its probably easy getting to SF/F. these days, R1 opponents are already beasts.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  18. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Tony Gunawan when asked about Kevin: "He's fast"

19. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I agree, Kevin is a player that many people want to learn, but we cannot. Simply, because we weren't fast enough like him, or if some of us can move fastly like him, we didn't have a "fast brain" like him to deal with the situations on court (in front the net) (predict and intercept with a full swing shot like you said).

#6099 terrynguyen121988, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Though I disagree with many of your points. But indeed he works hard to be at the top.

What remarkable about him, imo, is that he never stops to make effort in becoming a much better and more competent player. Be it at the front court or even at the back. Always stay hunger and diligent.

The only problem I have with him is his impatience and his emotional control. Maybe it'll get better with age.

No one can stay on the top for long if you are being complacent. Everyone is watching and studying you inside out. You need to upgrade yourself constantly to deal with new obstacles.