Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    -

#5581 Sundis, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Kevin would do wonders with Ahsan.

rhoder likes this.
  3. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

They probably commited same number of errors in the match against yuta endo, but how many winners that kevin hit compared to gideon ? It's not even close. In fact gideon should always be the one that made less mistakes because he doesn't take as many risk as kevin.

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

https://m.badmintonindonesia.org/app/information/newsDetail.aspx?/8845

Kevin : Of course we are disappointed with today's match. Basically we have to train more diligently and worked harder. So we are still grateful of whatever the results we getting as we had given out our best toady.

Marcus : We have to be grateful with today's result. We must be grateful for whatever result we are getting We feel blessed by this result and we must train harder again. Because I personally feel I still have many weakness, so we need to do more evaluation.
    We tried attacking, but the opponents weren't easy to die today. I personally became not to confident myself when I played. No matter how I tried, it didn't feel right. I think about it too much that I can't play my usual game.

Endo : We feel that they are still the best. Even though we can win from them, but it feels different somehow. They didn't seem to play maximal today. And we will also try to be the best like then, keep on learning to find something new

[​IMG]
    (BWF World Tour Finals 2019) Kevin/Marcus Terhenti di Semifinal
    (Guangzhou, 14/12/2019)

Ganda putra Jepang, Hiroyuki Endo/Yuta Watanabe menjadi mimpi buruk bagi pasangan Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Marcus Fernaldi Gideon saat bentrok di babak semifinal BWF World Tour Finals 2019 Guangzhou. Bertanding di Tianhe Gymnasium, Tiongkok, Sabtu (14/12), langkah Kevin/Marcus terpaksa harus terhenti usai menerima kekalahan 11-21, 21-15 dan 10-21 atas Endo/Watanabe.

“Pastinya kecewa dengan hasil ini. Intinya kami harus latihan lebih giat dan lebih keras lagi. Dan apapun hasilnya harus tetap disyukuri, kami sudah berusaha melakukan yang terbaik yang hari ini,” ungkap Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo kepada badmintonindonesia.org.

“Harus disyukuri hasil ini dan pastinya kami harus latihan lebih keras lagi. Karena saya pribadi merasa masih banyak kekurangan, jadi harus banyak evaluasi lagi,” sambung Marcus Fernaldi Gideon menambahkan.

Ini menjadi kekalahan kedua yang harus dialami Kevin/Marcus atas Endo/Watanabe selama berlaga di ajang BWF World Tour Finals 2019 Guangzhou. Sebelumnya, pada babak penyisihan Grup A, beberapa hari lalu, The Minions juga harus menelan hasil buruk setelah kalah 11-21, 21-14 dan 11-21.

Pada duel kali ini, Kevin/Marcus mengakui bila Endo/Watanabe mampu bermain lebih baik. “Hari ini lawan bermain lebih baik dari kami. Mereka tampil lebih konsisten dari awal sampai akhir. Mereka juga selalu bisa mempertahankan ritme permainannya. Sebaliknya, kami malah masih banyak berubah-ubah,” jelas Kevin.

“Kami sudah berusaha menyerang, tapi lawan memang nggak gampang mati hari ini. Saya pribadi jadi nggak begitu percaya diri mainnya. Mau main gimanapun jadi nggak enak, nggak bisa lepas juga tadi karena kepikiran terus,” lanjut Marcus.

Sementara itu, meski berhasil mencuri dua kemenangan beruntun atas The Minions, pasangan Endo/Wanatabe justeru mengatakan bila Kevin/Marcus tetap dan masih menjadi ganda putra terbaik di dunia saat ini.

“Kami rasa mereka masih yang terbaik. Walaupun kami bisa menang dari mereka, tapi tetap saja rasanya sedikit berbeda. Mereka seperti kurang bermain maksimal hari ini. Dan kami juga akan berusaha terus menjadi yang terbaik seperti mereka, terus belajar untuk menemukan sesuatu yang baru,” beber Hiroyuki Endo mengomentari Kevin/Marcus. (*)

ma.ria likes this.
  5. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Keep on striving to improve, minions!
    8 titles, not bad
    and you got better jerseys as well

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Spoiled as in now Marcus thought he is only "not good enough" when playing Endo/Wata but actually he is not good enough against any pair at all. It's just Kevin had been doing so much that Marcus felt he was good enough therefore feel confident while when Kevin failed to cover, Marcus felt like "Oh I am playing so bad now, I am dragging this partnership down". The truth is it's the same when they play any pair, it's just Marcus felt he is confident (when Kevin could cover for him when things get south) but straight away feel like he is useless and making too many errors (when Kevin couldn't cover for him).

You should realize once Marcus seemingly stepped up in G2, Kevin straight away took that chance, injected more pace, scored a lot and converted a game. But when Marcus was back to his "self-pity" mode again in G3, Kevin couldn't even do much and had no idea what to do.
    His head is messing up with him. "I am not good enough" "I am dragging this partner ship down" . I mean wake up, snap it off, if he wants to feel sorry about himself at least do it after the match is finish. But as long as he is on the court, keep those things away from his head and just focus on playing!

Anyway Kevin showed his support and talked to Marcus too at first. But the more Kevin did that, the worse Marcus felt after making mistakes. RAther than apologizing for his mistake as he usually would do, he was the one making a "scene" on how big that mistake was.. Turning away and looked as if it all was over and he couldn't do it anymore.

I mean helloo? it was only G1 and he acted as if they had lost the match..o_Oo_O Geesh who is the drama king here? I thought it was supposed to be Kevin?

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Communication really terrible. With this , Its only 2 tournaments since they last won their title , its crazy..

Sports isnt always like you want. or even what the fans want. but 8 titles are crazy lots already imo. Everyone can only dream of that. so i hope they realise that especially Kevin.

Point 3 or 4 early G3, Markus hitting a faulty serve that should have be left out in early G3. thats nothing to do with playing or not playing well. Its just that he became overthinking of every point lost

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Shouldn't Marcus the one who realise that? If he can win 8 titles, he should know that he is good enough and be more confident. Just like Steen said, everyone targeting Marcus not only to score points on him but also to break his mental state. So Endo/Wata succeeded doing that all the time, even from the first few points. And the more Marcus fall, the more confident the opponents get.

Everyone only cares about how Marcus feels. Is there anyone actually cares about how Kevin's doing? Do you really think he is not affected at all by all this. He probably doubt himself too, and got lost. But no one cares about the special one, because they think the special one is not human and don't need any sympathy.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Both of them, Gideon has looked of helplessness while Kevin has looked like he s the best in the world and he wants none of it. What does Kevin needs to think its just 10 points into the game and he already looked resigned. I think Gideon played poorly today because too much pressure and that look from Kevin.

I said Kevin, because without Gideon , i dont think he can win that many titles. No matter how special he is. If Gideon retires now, i think Kevin will have more regret for treeating Gideon that way. New partner, any better. If wishes are horses.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

See? Again you don't even care about how KEvin actually feels. How do you know what KEvin really feels inside? He is not as open book as Marcus. And Marcus played poorly today because he always played poor under any pressure. Just like in WC.
    Kevin is not treating Marcus that way? The hell? Have you seen them off court? Just don't interpret everything to your own scenario.

Your version of stories about Kevin is a bad boy bla bla bla is all just your imagination and your own story. And only you saying things about KEvin showing off his money on the opponents face.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I dont see anything that Kevin needs to feel. they won many titles together.

Even with LC ZN it was different they only had 2 titles ? And it has been going on for a year+ without titles. Even then , on court ZN treats LC better than Kevin treats Gideon. Do anyone feels what ZN feel? no one cares cause life goes on. But Kevin, he always wants to be in the spotlight. thats why he behaved rottenly.

so honestly there is no need for this commotion , they are still WR1. even if they are not and become lousy, it doesnt give the right to shoot partner in the foot.

#5591 Yoji, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Right. You only care about the titles and the money he makes. I forgot about that.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Anyway I have said enough. It's going to make me more upset anyway.

Endo/Wata succeeded winning minions 4/5 times in a row because they are discipline enough to target Marcus to the point he can't even function properly and losing confidence that it messed up his head/mind. If Marcus himself groaned and annoyed by himself, I don't see why Kevin can't do the same about it.

Even in the G3, Steen said that Endo/Wata hadn't targeting Marcus enough in G2 as much as they should to.
    Kevin started to show his frustration before interval G3 because he made a few mistakes himself. When Gill said how Kevin need to take care of himself before taking care of his partner at the interval of G3,
    this is Steens' respond "But if the Japanese are playing this correctly then Sukamuljo has no chance because he can't, then he needs to push Gideon out of the court, because he is simply making too many errors and I feel also that Gideon is walking around feeling sorry for himself"

rhoder likes this.
  14. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I don’t think Kevin is a bad boy. I think he was just frustrated. When Gideon is frustrated he gets upset at himself. When Kevin is frustrated, he shows some bad body language. I think it’s normal.
    It just shows me they really wanted to win this one. And the fact that they still lost concerns me a bit.

15. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I think you focus a bit too much on the personal side. When you lose to someone 5 times in a row, it can’t be explained solely by one guy keeps messing things up, at least the coach is paid to provide a better explanation. I’m more interested in how they can figure it out tactically.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Oh but I see it more than just they losing to one pair 5 times in a row as a pair. It's not about that.
    I'm more worried on how Marcus could hold his nerve when he somehow found himself under the pressure. Like in WC. I m more worried about how he can work out on dealing with his nerves more than tactically. Because the coach had the solution, it's just Marcus was too worked up to had the cool head to execute it. He managed to do that somehow in G2, varied his attack and involved Kevin into the rallies.
    Winning so many titles apparently doesn't help Marcus building his confidence in handling tough situation.

The pressure will be a lot bigger in Olympics. If he is going to be like this in every single match, they have no hope winning it.

If no one think his mental approach is an issue, then it's fine. Blame Kevin for getting annoyed and frustrated so he can't help Marcus getting back on his own feet.

17. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Figuring out tactically is one thing, but executing it is another. It’s difficult to figure out a tactic because it can’t be executed well enough. If they are told to attack, Marcus’ attack takes too long to break through, it’s not very sustainable for him to smash 10 times per rally before breaking through. They can’t be too patient either because Marcus and Kevin make too many errors relative to their opponents. Some will suggest change of pace, but such a tactic only works when there’s a credible threat of power play. Endo/Watanabe are standing further forward in their defensive position because they have no fear for Marcus’ smash, then those drop shots are way easier to retrieve, and they serve only to restart the rally once the opponent lifts back to Marcus. We see how amazing Setiawan is with those drop shots, but they work so well partly because Ahsan’s and Setiawan’s own smashes are threatening enough to push their opponent back in their defensive stances.

But I think they were getting somewhere with that channel attack play, and that may be the way to move forward. They weren’t disciplined enough to continue doing that in G3. And maybe they should target Endo more with their attacks, Watanabe is crazy nimble with his hands and Endo is the one more likely to be flustered when things don’t go his way

#5597 rhoder, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

In G3 the coach instructed Marcus to stand on the left and Kevin on the right when defending, but the result? Marcus still couldn't defend properly. He is way out of it to do anything properly, in my opinion. It's not that he is not able to, but he just wasn't in the right mind.
    We had seen him in tighter situations before and he survived.
    Kevin could score more winners from the back with half smashes, drop shots and cross smashes (not even with power). I have seen Marcus done this before as you have mentioned too in other matches.
    Steen was making things more complicated lol First he suggested that Kevin should be at the back attacking and Marcus at the front "protected" so he won't be targeted. But yesterday when Kevin was at the back and Marcus was helpless at the front, Steen also said that it's not easy to be a front player of Sukamuljo because you would never know where he was going to hit. So what's your solution Steen? :D
    All he could come up with is if I were the opponents (or their coach) I would suggest them to do just that (target Marcus until he is broken mentally). Now that he is broken mentally, what can you suggest Steen?
    I guess just what he said : sometimes you can't be polite in a partnership, you are working together toward the same goal otherwise you won't survive. you can't rely on your partner to hold your arm and leg. you have to step up or you don't belong here

19. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

good enough for beating marvin but not good enough to become title winner
    let us see if they can beat sandra and win WTF title

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah it's either Marcus or Endo. So far Endo has been winning.