Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

His defense is so bad to the point that his coach need to tell him to change his racket position when he's defending. Its so bad.

rhoder likes this.
  2. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah I think Zhang Nan has been very commendable in this regard, never publicly showing his frustration with Liu Cheng. Kevin isn't a Zhang Nan though, don't think he can be like that

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

And that didn't help LC either, did it? After a while, we could always see ZN turned back to the coach and looked frustrated whenever LC made mistakes and his face saying "What should I do?"

4. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah that's why I completely agree with Steen and you, it's all on Marcus to step up. Kevin can't play doubles alone

yuquall likes this.
  5. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

marvin need fast cock
    not slow crappy cock
    let's see what happen
    let's see them with aryono
    not herry ip

6. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

marcus very mediocre?
    hahaha

japanese defense is too good for slow crappy cock
    that's all

7. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

You should watch BAC finals this year, exact same thing. We're back to square one.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well you can't choose hall nor cocks nor coach nor anything in a tournament can't you?
    They need to adapt to the conditions not the conditions to them if they want to win.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah back to BAC. But at least they won a game at least in every match after that final. So one positive thing we can console ourselves with.

Kevin has improved massively throughout this year I am glad to say. I supposed Marcus had been too spoiled by Kevin all this time playing against other pairs. Now against Endo/Wata, not even Kevin could cover him enough to win a match. Hope he could see some light from all this.

10. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Shuttle would be a nice word :)

Sumanth99 likes this.
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah the BAC and also the G2 of KoreaOpen vs Fajri.

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

AhsanHendra points will be really close with Minions..will they overtake them if they win?

And Minions gotta defend their title in INA&Malaysia Masters..

13. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I see your point, but Marcus is probably not spoiled per se. I’m sure he appreciates everything Kevin has done, even feeling indebted I dare say. Hard to see the light when you’re the one dragging the team down... I had that feeling before haha. But he has to try his best, work even harder. He has reached a certain standard before, he has to believe and work towards it.

14. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Woah really? Didn’t watch that match, that one was as bad as BAC and this?

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

not as bad but looked bad as well, imo. especially in G2.

I would say a pair that look like Minions (of the same standard) is AyakaMisaki... but not this bad , they just dont talk to each other. This one is like no respect to each other.

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Also , one thing everyone is saying how bad Minions play (include me) .. Even Steen:Gill talk about Minions 80%+ of the time.

I dont think people agree that EndoW played really well. This tournament they are seriously destroying everyone in their sight. Testament is Minions still can snatch a game or two out of them.

so , imo the problem is with Kevin expectations.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah its good that we discuss this at length because they are WR1. all the fans care about them. If they keep losing and not winning tournaments, dont think anyone cares about them anymore. So, it is a good thing.

However, breaking them up will not solve the problems. Firstly, they have almost psychological advantage against any other pairs in the world right now ( even 8-0 against ShettyRR?), we can count their H2H against any other pair. Breaking it means you have to start from Zero again. imo, not now , not after OG. why gave up just because cant beat a pair? Every pair has many pairs they cant beat. If it comes down to blessings and bad luck, then its too bad if they have to face EndoW in OG

So, imo its up to Kevin to manage expectations and cool down his temper.

Though i will agree with the other post that Gideon defense is really bad, He is using forehand defense instead of backhand defense, why he need to do that? Lifts are either too short or too long.

Overall, I think Its Kevin fault that Gideon has so much self doubt of himself. If you cant trust then its difficult. Dont even look at the match, they are already beaten before the match starts, if i have to say - thats the real problem.

#5577 Yoji, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Win as a team, lose as a team. Are we splitting them? If not, blaming each other won’t help.

I still believe in them. It’s good to lose now than in Olympics.

19. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

It’s too late to break them up now, they’ll be together till OG. But I would be all for splitting them up after that, if there are any competent players compatible with Kevin. Long term, it’s not easy to have a pair with overly disproportionate abilities, because opponents can single out the weaker one, like what the strong pairs are doing now provided they’re not overwhelmed by Sukamuljo’s speed. Yes, they have an advantage against other pairs, but who knows that advantage can be amplified by having a better partner with Kevin. I’m pretty sure the player they’re scared of is Kevin, not Gideon, that’s why they target him. It’s not really starting from zero, as long as the players are suitable and competent. Just see Ahsan/Setiawan, winning WC one year into their partnership.

Yeah they were beaten before they started, very obvious from their expressions especially Kevin. I agree with you on Kevin, his body language doesn’t help Gideon at all. But I can empathise why he feels and acts this way as well. That’s why it’s difficult with this pair, two players with different abilities, and very different personalities. That was why Ko/Lee couldn’t work out as well.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

The thing is KoLee isnt winning titles, it was totally different with this. Hell SF is a good result. If he has 26SS and act likes so much distrust, i think we can disband badminton as double sport lol.

So i think its managing expectations. Imo, Kevin is thinking he has or should win all the tournaments. not a good mindset. There is no one better than Gideon at the moment.

I can remember at beginning of partnership, Gideon played better than Kevin most of times. In MO2017, he was like dragging Kevin to the finish line. Physically Kevin is a better player now.

When they win, it always looks like Kevin that shines while they lose it always looks like Gideon that played bad. If you have to check point by point, I think they commited same number of errors today. in 2016&2017 Kevin is still busy picking up fights while Gideon is the steadier player.

#5580 Yoji, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019