Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Bio = Indonesia Open? If so, shouldn't it be IO?
    The bee-striped ones were pretty hideous (reminded me of the prison uniforms in Lucky Luke, actually :D) and made Gideon look positively fat. With correct sizing and without horizontal stripes his gut is barely noticeable, much better choice imop.
    Yonex has made some really weird design choices in the past 1-2 years imop, while some of their shirts are nicely simplistic (countering some of the more outrageous stuff from other companies), the striped ones and now the finish line stuff looks like a throwback to the worst clothes they could find. I also don't know why they keep clinging to these horizontal stripe-y designs, especially with the minions

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Apparently some call it BIO = Blibli Indonesia Open instead of IO. The poster before said BIO so I just repeated it.

Some would speculate that horizontal lines and the Y on minions were there for fooling the service judge :D:D:D:D
    I personally think Kevin looks better in fit jerseys because loose jerseys are making Kevin's legs look even shorter somehow.
    As for Marcus, he is better off with dark colour :p The Sudirman Cup jerseys made Marcus even looked bigger and wider than he usually would, in my opinion.

3. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Yes BIO = bli bli Indonesia open.

Yonex tries so hard to make minion's jerseys as stand out as possible, often they did that in a not very nice way haha.
    To be honest, you won't be interested to buy minion's jersey for the sake of 'collection' argument, if you're not their fans. It's just too much, & not looking casual at all.

I opened yonex online store to check their products, & after looking at their catalogues, I realized that buying japanese jerseys is a better investment even though I'm not their fan :D

#4623 ma.ria, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Oof...I just watched their WC loss and I must say they did pretty well and the delayed serve is a learning experience for them.

Compared to Boe/Mogensen, what the koreans did was no where near as bad. Kevin responded well to it towards the end, only Gideon had trouble. He was visibly losing some balance during the serve delay. One solution is to hold up his hand, pause the serve, and readjust his footing. That's what cai/fu and lyd/jjs did during their era vs boe/mogensen.

5. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Just watched some of boe/mog's matches and I still think that choi is worse than boe/mog when it comes to delaying the serve

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    boe's tactic is different... when the receiver is ready he'll stand stand and spin his racket for 5-6 seconds before setting the racket behind the bird, then wait 3-4 more seconds... total is 10 seconds while the receiver is waiting. much longer than choi's method.

marcus didn't adjust. can't blame anyone else.

Cheung likes this.
  7. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

10 seconds ? no way..

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Boe in general is not that fast moving player, Boe/Mog are always taking their time in getting ready every between rallies taking to each other getting in position. But when he finally stood still and the racket behind the shuttle still it didn't take that long. So the receiver just need to get ready and really wait when his racket stops moving.

While Choi is very fast in everything else but only delaying his serves. He didn't move at all after he was ready (racket stayed still behind shuttle). In the match vs HK pair in R1, in the last few points he I could see the opponents were off balance when he hit his shuttle across. Seemed like he was aiming to do just that.

Cheung likes this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    choi was consistent in his timing. more than the 3 other players on the court: marvin & seo sj. there really was no excuse for marcus not to adjust. kevin did.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I was just stating the differences between Boe's and Choi's serves.

And why To me Choi's is more annoying or worse than Boe's.

#4630 yuquall, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Choiter got wallopped by Fajri.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Fajar/Rian lost their previous encounter in AO.
    They probably had a lot of preparation and inputs from the coach before the match. Especially after minions lost, there must be a lot of pointers and guidance from the coaches.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Big difference being that Boe didn't make you wait in the ready position quite as long as Choi does, which is the most annoying part to me. Overall, there isn't much difference between them though, I'd say (to be clear: 2010-2012 Boe, I think he has mellowed out a lot)

They're also very inconsistent, so I'd never bet on any of their matches if I were a betting man

14. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    You have to watch their earlier matches. Umpires already got tired of their **** by 2009 and they were pretty much not allowed to delay their serves by then. Unfortunately, it is probably difficult to find their earlier matches because despite their delayed serve, they wouldn't get very far in tournaments

15. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Will they skip ChinaOpen? If he is sick then he wont be fined i guess with Doctors letter.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Djokovic that loses but everyone talks about him, nobody talks about how well Wawrinka has played. Fair and Square. It's Djo that is trending on twitter.

isn't that the star power of WR1. He divides attention and opinions. Same with Kevin. He is the face of badminton. Momota is WR1 but think he is too polite (like Federer)

19. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Nothing wrong with being too polite.
    Anyway, BWF talked about Momota a lot, like a lot. Just notice how often BWF mentioned about this birthday boy on their posts. Without downgrading double players, IMO it's single players who are/were more iconic & recognized

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Or maybe it's because Djokovic is a multiple grand slam winner and more successful player than Wawrinka,not the world ranking alone. Never heard the ranking being a focal point in Tennis commentary...