Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Kevin The Boss...

IMG_20170329_154234_HDR.jpg

2. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    The back to back India Open Champion, year 2016 & 2017. Congratulations to Gideon MF & Sukamuljo KS.

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

#182 Espírito Santo, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  3. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Amazing back to back Superseries titles by the duo.

Kevin/Marcus proved that you can be a champion even not the tallest guys. Super fast and super racket skills, their fast and furious games are so entertaining to watch. So happy for these boys that all their hard work paid off.

#183 badlove, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  4. Severus Bolton

Severus Bolton Regular Member

Programmer/Developer
    What did Mads Conrad say to Kevin Sanjaya after their match?

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

"Teach me how to play bro"

6. blue.fired

blue.fired Regular Member

Kevin Sukamuljo is probably the fastest human being around a badminton court. I wonder how many cups of coffee he is fueled by because it is almost inhuman. I must say I also enjoy his antics and that refreshingly bad attitude.

That said, they are not a very strong attacking pair even in their preferred formation. They sometimes struggle mightily to put away even easy points.

I guess they make up for it with their stamina and quickness but for how long?

honfaai likes this.
  7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes, this style of play is great when he's "on it" but there's much more risk involved and is physically more demanding as he is having to play to the limit all the time. So it's not going to be easy for KS to keep up this level of play consistently, and I suspect we may well see a lot of unforced errors from him. For a fan of the sport, KS's style is very refreshing and exciting to watch, particularly when he can run rings around much taller opponents like a David vs Goliath battle but I'm not sure it is a style that will be sustainable enough to allow him to consistently win titles personally.

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think no doubt now that kevin sanjaya/markus gideon is the best mens double in the world. kevin/markus with 5 titles now. the closest with them is goh/tan with 2 titles . Boe/Mogensen has more but i think they wont win many more of this generations.

Whether they can sustain their speed and stamina well, i think it depends on every matches. every pair has weakness and advantages , it just depends how their advantage can bring them to more than 5 superseries.if you ask me now which pair can give them trouble i would say kamura/sonoda but the thing is many pairs can give kamura/sonoda trouble and they even meet the chinese in the 1st round of malaysiaSSP. Last year they were consistent, not sure about it this year. so if kevin markus face kamura/sonoda how many more time they can meet?

its funny the small and short can beat the tall and strong. which is unthinkable year ago.i think its just not the way of play otherwise people can just lift the ball(which really is the way to play against them),its the mentality of kevin markus that makes them very hard to be beaten. its just so exciting to watch them play i think kevin has make badminton exciting again with his originality.

visor and honfaai like this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Kevin SS is the new Setiawan.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well personally I'll be very interested once service judges enforce legal serves, until then I would be cautious with terms such as 'best pair', especially in combination with 'undoubtedly'. ;)
    Regarding the short vs tall thing - being tall has many drawbacks in badminton, dont be so quick to say 'they're taller, they have the advantage'. Yes, there are some, but the drawbacks are also very much there, which is why we see so few players over 1,90m be successful, in singles especially

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

yes i think they are undoubtedly the best pair at the moment(anyone can see the way they play that they are the best the joy of watching them play and doing it with exciting flair too), doesnt mean they cant be beaten. any pair can be beaten even lyd/yys can be beaten especially at big tour. of course badminton is such a sport that you are just as good as your last tournament. but to look at a whole, MD in itself is already very competitive i think as competitive as WS. kevin markus is the first pair since lyd/yys to win back to back SStitles, just show how difficult it is. the rest of MD only have 1 or 2 superseries title so its clear who is the one to beat now.

12. joycock

joycock New Member

Their body height is their weapon, which make them very comfortable playing fast net drive. Players with tall body will have to bow to if they want to play with this style. They don't have to be a hard hitter, but the defence must be very good if taller opponents start to blow hard smash.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They remind me a bit of KKK/TBH in 2007, will be interesting to see whether they can keep their form up longer or if they'll fizzle out as well after ~18-24 months

14. volcom

volcom Regular Member

They are the most exciting pair to watch by so far it's not even funny.

Could be one of the best pairs ever.

15. Espírito Santo

Terrorist
  16. joycock

joycock New Member

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Invalid argument. If something is deemed legal/illegal by one party (or even 10), it is not automatically so. Case in point being Fernaldi's and Yoo's serves, both are way, WAY too high and should be faulted every single time. That it doesn't happen is just a poor reflection on bwf's service judges, not an automatic assurancy that the serve is legal.

otidh likes this.
  18. Espírito Santo

Terrorist
    You don't even understand the question but you replied blindly.

Of course, in competition, service judge to determine service fault or legal (even a noob know about this) but the above question is quite clear, asking what do you think after you watched the youtube video and do you agree with "Badminton Freak"?

FYI, those flick serves in the video are legal in AEO 2017 and other competitions.

j4ckie likes this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It has no national or racial motivation, and you jumping to that conclusion indicates that in fact it is you who is prejudiced.
    I always criticize when one player has a particularly bad serve that is higher than everybody else's - I did so with Ahsan, but I also said it when Yoo started doing it. Fernaldi is the worst so far, sometimes going to almost shoulder level, and it is in fact much worse than "everybody". Some players even serve legally.
    I really hate bad umpiring and service judging, and this falls under that category - it is up to the officials to enforce the rules of the game, and them not doing so is what I have a big issue with, but a player constantly pushing the boundaries isnt something I really appreciate either (just how I didnt like BoMo trying to intimidate line judges and service judges, which was strictly not allowed but was let pass at times).
    And I'll gladly make comments on the next player who serves ridiculously high, whether they're Indonesian or not.
    :)

Didnt say anything about Sukamuljo's serve, havent seen anything spectacularly illegal from him, he actually seems to be serving pretty low normally (i.e. legal height, which sadly isnt the norm).

20. joycock

joycock New Member

To the best of my knowledge, Kevin never started to engage the high serve war first. India open 2016, its the Malaysian Goh/Tan pair who did first. AE 2017, the Mads pair did first. So its like you tricked me once, i trick u twice.
    As a referrence, pls watch how Toni Gunawan/Halim Haryanto racket position when they serve. Racket head almost 180 degree down. Thats the most legal.
    Modern MD pairs i ever seen is positioning their racket almost flat around the waist, a little move and its already above the waist.