Getting started on a budget

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Charlie-SWUK, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So, getting my rackets strung is expensive, even if I supply the string. It also takes a lot of time. I wouldn't mind learning how to string rackets. My current shop, while they do a good turn around, can be spotty. I mostly get ok jobs from them, but sometimes I get superb jobs, and sometimes I get rubbish jobs, and I would like more consistency.

I don't know a great deal about stringing rackets.

I plan to make my Yonex TR1 (Training Racket) my guinea pig for stringing. It's the only Yonex racket I've seen warrantied up to 30lbs of tension, so I'm hoping it'll be a durable guinea pig.

I've been watching videos and what have you, and my first string job will likely take me ages to complete with a lot of stress about if I'm using the correct grommet. That's a hurdle to tackle when it comes. Right now I need the equipment, and I have a little money - nothing to go throwing on an electronic stringing machine, but enough to get started.

Two options are the:
    Pros Pro Challenger 1 Dropweight
    Pros Pro Pilot hand crank

Then a load spreader, some clamps, and I already have other tools to fill in for the stringing tools.

I'm thinking the crank one would be the better choice, but I don't really know.

Am I missing anything other than the load spreader and clamps?

Any great tutorials would be appreciated too.

2. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

I'd get an awl! Personally, I'd go with the drop weight. It does take slightly longer but it's maintenance free, and when you do decide to sell it (as opposed to upgrading it), at least it will pull to the required tension. I only feel this way because I started off with a 2nd hand crank, and the spring was miles off.

I'm sure there are great tutorials on youtube by kwun. The standard yonex pattern and haribito method would be great to research into. Also, maybe a video on knots to reduce tension loss.

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Everyone I've talked to so far seems to be saying dropweight, which is good for me because it's the cheaper of the two and comes with 200m of string I can practice with (rather than buying more string or touching my delicious Li Ning string)

4. TigerSmash

Yeah, IMO the pull is consistent throughout because you're relying on gravity. On a crank, it can depreciate over time and you might have to pull the string two times. What I do find beneficial with a crank though, is that you can pull the string from very close to the racket frame. I guess it does save some string.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Also at the place you get it strung, make sure to stick to only the best two stringers there so that you get consistently good jobs. Don't just trust it to anyone. Otherwise you may get a nasty surprise as you did...

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah and I mean they do a quick turn around for me and everything but I just don't enjoy the hit or miss jobs.

Anyway I ordered the dropweight machine, two fixed clamps, and one fly clamp. I get 200M of string free with it too, so I'm gonna learn how to string with that on one of my off rackets.

7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    If you ordered this off racquet depot, you would have to swap out the 200m for a badminton string 100m because the 200m is tennis string.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I did order it off of Racquet Depot, maybe I can have a chat with them and see if they'll be kind enough to exchange it.

9. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yeah for sure!

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I can't recommend one of your choices. PP seems to be a great bang for the buck, at first, but then you will notice that a PP is a problem child.

I would save a few more bucks and would aim a Gamma, a Premium Stringer or Super Stringer. Tbh I guarantee that you will sell your PP after 1 year. Contact [MENTION=113405]s_mair[/MENTION] he is a guy who had bad luck with his PP and upgraded to a Super Stringer within a year.

11. TigerSmash

Penta premium stringer is a very good machine consider how much metal you get!

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
  13. TigerSmash

Yeah, if you are on that much a tight budget then maybe give it a miss. For that machine you might have to purchase badminton fix clamps as well, I think the ones supplied are for tennis.

Personally I'd get a better quality machine as ucantseeme suggested, because at the end of the day it's an investment.
    Making your money back and upgrading to a wise head would be nice on a quality machine :)

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well I'm having to buy the clamps as well. I ordered 2 fixed clamps and 1 fly clamp. The cost is still £80 more.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If your budget allows it, I would go for the Premiumstringer 3600 or even invest a couple of bucks more and have a look at the 3800 or the Superstringer T20 which I just bought. As ucantseeme said, you will not be very happy with a Pro's Pro machine long-term, that's for sure. Just have a look in my "Which machine to upgrade to from PP Challenger"-thread - I think you will find a lot of information that might help you make your final choice.

And if you start stringing for some of your clubmates, you will be surprised how quickly the better machine will pay itself off.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I don't want to touch anyone else's rackets until I've practiced :D

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sounds like a good plan!

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Get your machine from Tennisman. Shipping from Germany to UK will cost 45€ (around 35 GBP). Dirk has a great service. PS3600 (259GBP/339€) is a good machine to start with. He will swap the Tennis Clamps against Badminton clamp for free.

If RD will ship it for free you will pay 379€/290GBP without Badminton clamps.
    At tennisman you will pay 294GBP with Badminton clamps and incl. shipping + 17GBP for a Yonex Flying clamp.

So with RD and your stated price for clamps you will pay: 370GBP
    Tennisman: 311GBP. So you will save nearly 60GBP if you don't want to go for Tennis. BTW Tennisman's offer include 200m Tennis string. Maybe you can swap with 200m cheap badminton string.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'm not paying any shipping :D

I'm close enough that I can collect the machine from racquet depot.

Does anyone have a good inexpensive string for practice by the way? Even 65Ti is like £65 for a 200m reel. I don't really wanna waste my Li Ning No.1 until I'm better because it's expensive and tough to get ahold of.

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I can highly recommend RKEP TI-70. Very cheap (around 1 USD per single set so supposedly even cheaper on a reel) and it's not so terrible in performance either. Very durable. I use it for kids and youth rackets to make them a good price and even some of the adults like it better than BG65. IMO the prefect string to practise stringing since it is pretty slippery and thus easy to weave too.