Getting new players for ABC idea?

Discussion in 'Arcadia Badminton Club ( ABC )' started by SuperBird, Dec 21, 2008.

1. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    This is just a thought for William if he reading this:

It's would be nice to get a small gift or reward for every new member we can introduce to the club. The requirement is that each new member must maintain its membership for at least 3 months to get a reward or gift in a form of:
    List of gifts:
    1 new member stay for at least 3months: 1 dozen birdies or a Free string Fee

If the new member stay for at least 1 year with the club that you introduce: You get a nice Christmas Gift: another dozen birdies & 1 free tournament entry FEE or

If you introduce 10 customers and each stay for 1 yr: We should get a Free badminton racquet from the shop for FREE!!!!!!

In the END everyone is Happy and more new customers and is Great for everyone.......

Just my 1 cent thoughts to increase REVENUE for the club and get a little in RETURN.

Merry Christmas & Happy NEW Year to EVERYONE.

2. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

Merry X'mas to you Superbird

Superbird

I think you have a very good idea! Please let me know whenever you swing by ABC. I am always thinking to show some appreciation to our loyal members.

Thanks and have a Merry X'mas!

William Chan
    ABC

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, I live 3,000+ miles away, here's my 2 cents: Organizing an event (i.e. tournament) might also be an approach, when you try to promote a new gym. This way, ppl gets to visit your facility, and you never know s/he might think that's a perfect fit according his/her location and schedule.

The tournament does not have to bring in all the local A level players. Decent club level tournament will also attract a lot players, who used to be a bit "shy" in fairly competitive level of playing. ;)

4. ABCmanagement

A Tournament coming up

Yes! We shall have a new tournament soon with $10,000 prize purse. Please keep post.

Thanx for your suggestion. Happy Holidays to you!

5. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    any membership promotions for 2009?

or special drop-in rates?

10 time pass?

6. ABCmanagement

ABC New Year Special

Any good ideas?

7. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Here is some great ideas i might add to give ABC a great future outlook.

1) The #1 question is How long do you want to run this business 5yr, 10yr, 30yr, 50yr, 100yr......ect.
    2) If your business is long term: You need to start building better relationship with your customers.(Not just knowing them by they name...or saying HI & BYE !!!)
    -->>You want to do what Big Business in America DO? Especially when your paying $10,000 or more on building rental & its the ONLY 1. That is to have some kind of Survey: You can ask questions and try to know more about them & family ..ect. For example: How often do they play?what days & Time?--so this can help set the time for training & others activities so that more courts will be open for members to use!!!!! You can ask them have they ever thought of introducing other friends or someone they met to try out a new sports like badminton???? if so, you need to give a little gift here: so you will get better return rate.You know what i mean right???? Give a penny and get back 1 dollar: hope you get the logic.--Survey: can include what do members want to see improve to better their experience at ABC so that they will be Happy.
    Remember: You need to have a drawing for the survey too: so it make players or ABC members to state their opinion--Time is MONEY!!!!!
    3) For walk-in customers: For every 5x they come to the gym, you want to give them 1 free entrance: and for the that free entrance ask them how they like their experience at ABC and talk to them what is holding them back in becoming a Membership at ABC---YOU NEED TO TAKE SOME INITIATIVE ACTION --AND KNOW IT SOUND PUSHY BUT THIS IS BUSINESS--MAYBE YOU MIGHT NEED TO HIRE A BEAUTIFUL ASIAN GIRL FOR THIS QUESTION FOR THE MEN, AND A HANDSOME GUY FOR THE WOMEN. SO IT MIGHT MAKE THINGS SMOOTHER.
    4) In every business, you must willing to lose first in order to GAIN Big, You want you business to last you need to do whatever it takes to make your members happy. if anything need to be address, post it on the wall or give your members a notice.
    5) so much advice i can give, but for now: these are the essential i am giving to ABC management.

8. ABCmanagement

It's not that hard as u said. We'll try our best to do something. Thanks for your precious comments.

9. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    So far as a member, I am very please the ways things are at ABC. This is my outlook on PRO and CON at ABC.

PRO:
    1) Great Location and very spacious parking
    2) Very friendly staff: don't be afraid to talk to them, William is a very nice boss at ABC-any problems come to him for advice: He got great smile
    3) Lots of courts 16 to play with
    4) New floor and very clean
    5) You can see everyone from where your playing: so you know who is coming in to play
    6) Great dinning room
    7) High ceiling / great lighting-some are too bright
    8) Great waiting time-unless courts are on reserved: before 6pm on weekdays: lots of open courts and great for training hrs.
    9) free INTERNET: COOL
    10) nice small badminton supply shop: Only affordable end racket sale here don't expect to find yonex 9000x

CON:
    1) NO AC/heater in the mean time
    2) Small restroom
    3) No huge weight room
    4) too much reserve courts: sometimes-maybe i come the wrong time

Over all rating: I give ABC 7/10

10. ABCmanagement

:)Hi SuperBird

Thanks for being a member of ABC. I believe next time we'll get an 8/10 from U. For example:
    a. Fitness Room - will put more machines such as Treadmill but not Weights because of Liability issues. We may put mirrors inside the Fitness Room.
    b. A/C - we are considering to put A/C outside the gym area although we already have A/C in the office and lounge area. Do u think other members
    willing to pay a little more if we really install A/C inside?
    c. Actually we have 17 courts.
    d. will have 3 PP tables inside a high image glass room.
    e. Bathroom - you said our bathroom is small. Do u mean not enough toilets? We alreay have 3 Toilet Bowls each for Men and Ladies; 1 Urinator Bowl for Men. 2 Showers each for Men and Ladies.
    f. We'll put up a new page for players who have any suggestions or complaints. Or go direct to voices@abadminton.com

Thanks again
    William Chan
    ABC

11. shinebeat

shinebeat New Member

I would say there are a lot of people who wanna play badminton but can't find a friend or a partner with suitable schedule. So, my idea is to set up a meet-up billboard inside the club or on abc's website. (there is a LA badminton meet-up group on the internet. U might wanna take a look and get some ideas from that)
    Sean

12. ABCmanagement

group play

Sean

The following are the groups we currently have:

1. LA Meet Up
    2. ABM - Arcadia Badminton MeetUp
    3. Cantonese Group
    4. Fil-Am - Filipino American
    5. PBSI - Indonesian Group
    6. Nova Group - Zhejiang Badminton

Also, there still have 2 groups without names yet. These groups train together and may/play friendly matches against other groups.

Also, we are forming a League so patrons can signup on our website. A meetup billboard defintely a good idea.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Arcadia Badminton Club

13. sr71bb

sr71bb Regular Member

William how about a larger water heater, if two are taking a shower the hot water doesn't last long at all. It really sucks taking a cold shower in the winter.

14. ABCmanagement

Hot Water

Yes! We have such problem especially in the real cold nites when 4 showers all run at the same time. Bathers still leaving the showers on in order to keep the shower room warmer while putting soap on. Hot water will have to wait for a while when one or more Marathon Bathers finished their showers. Imagine if 6 gallons per minute with 4 showers. After 5 minutes, 120 gallon of water will be gone in which 75% which is about 90 gallon of hot water.

I had enquired a plumber that we may have to put 2 water heaters, one each for Men and Ladies. But it needs some major work.

Thanks
    William Chan
    ABC

15. endut

endut Regular Member

Badminton Player
    Some observations and comments from my experience as a member:
    • Court Reservation
      • Timing is probably an essence. However, why children training hours were scheduled during busy hours? They reserved at least 6 courts, yet they only utilized 4 during the training. The worst was these children were running around in the arena, yelling, which distracted the games of other players. I believe it is better to schedule them during non-busy hours, such as daytime of the week or end their training at 12:00AM on Saturday/ Sunday, since the facility was opened at 8:00 AM?
    • Cleanliness
      • If you ever played on the weekend around 4:00PM and up, you would notice there were many feathers on the floors. There were no cleaning crews to sweep the floors. As you know these feathers are dangerous (slippery), which may increase accidents to the players.
      • The restroom floors were regularly wet, plus lately the smell of urine was getting strong.
    • AC/ Heater & Water Heater :crying:
      • It is like waiting for "Universal" Health Care from the government. We discussed it, mentioned it, yet no action is taken.
    I know it is not easy to run a facility. However, it is still possible to repair before it is too late. At this moment, I will be more concern on keeping the existing members instead of trying to recruit new one. The reason is you do not want the existing members to leave the facility with "bad" experience, because their references and recommendation are the key to sustain the reputation of business.

Meanwhile, new facility is opening the door soon (www.[B]labadmintonclub[/B].com). It may probably have issues itself. However, the foundation is pretty promising:
    The Los Angeles Badminton Club boasts:
    • Over 25,000 square feet of playing arena (15 courts)
    • Fully Air-conditioned facility
    • Automated entry access for optima safety and comfort
    • A "floating" hardwood floor system
    • A telescopic seating system
    • Men's and Women's locker and shower rooms
    • Spacious lobby and lounge area
    • Pro shop
    • Drink & Snack bar

I am not promoting this facility on this forum. I am also not associated in any way to this new club. I just want to underline what it has to offer as a facility. I do not want ABC to play a catch up game, once this new competitor opens the door.

As usual, if your existing customers move on, it may cost 3 times or more attempts to get it back.

By the way, I noticed you are concerned of increasing dues to improve your facility services. However, look at the bright side of this approach:
    • Players will have more playing time , because the facility will be less crowded.
    • Your facility will be attended by serious players. If they are serious and enjoy the facility, they will become members, not one time visitor (steady incomes).
    • Better publicity
      • When serious and good players recommend your facility, it brings better ratings.
    • These serious players are coming to play. If they play continuously due to open courts, their playing hours will be less. That means less wear and tear on the courts and utilities bills.
    I am sorry for this long draft. I hope my comments make any senses to Williams and other management teams.

Thank You
    ;)

16. bestco

bestco Regular Member

for table tennis? that'd be great! I'm sure that will be a huge upgrade to the existing area and it will attract a lot of ping pong players.

17. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    I have played at SGV & OC as a drop in : I must say ABC is still rank #1 on my list for the MONEY & for great playing courts 17 w/ very friendly members here.

I believe that ABC management will do their best to make everyone happy & will make your badminton experience a great one. So I am really happy about the future of Badminton in California as the sports will be more popular to US & already lots of Asian.

So far I have introduced a few people to try out ABC & they really like their ABC experience . If we all do a small parts to brings in more members to ABC, I think we can expect more return for our experience. I know that I have been a really tough in my review and maybe asking too much for the price I am paying for my membership. But, ABC is the best rate for your money. Thanks again.

18. pramana

pramana Regular Member

I absolutely agree to "SuperBird"'s comments of ABC as a good badminton club due to the friendliness of the members. However, if he had ever played in Northern California, such as BBC or Bintang, his perceptions of good facility may be observed.

19. trancemode

trancemode Regular Member

they should have almost same pricing for membership like SGV

under 21 for price of $200 :) anually.
    but if they can put some gifts or promotion that woul be great. i will sign up :d

20. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Wow...just calculating my cost w/ my lady is about $70 a month * 12 = $840 price tag...this is not a contract but a monthly base. My Bally total Fitness for both of us for 1 yr. has come down to $220!!!!

Badminton is like playing GOLF---->>>getting to be very expensive after adding Birdie cost=$5 tube a months, another $50 dollars, breaking 1 racket in 6 month=$200!!! That's it, NO more Expensive YOnex, going for APACS or HEAD or RSL---more duability and price. New shoe= $70 every 6 months, New 7 shirts & outfits =$120, stringing racket every 2 months=$24 on 2 rackets on cheap labor or else =$20 per pop!!!, 1 gallon of water and few soda pops per session =$7.00; A few tube of BENGAY, and some private massage for painful back, and sore legs....=$50, too much to name ect..

.Sweating...Smashing.......Jumping.....laughing...Getting MAD.......whinning....Shouting......Taking over people court(j/k).....Cold Shower.....Falling.........twisting ankles.......twisting my BACK......Getting HIT with the bullet COCK.......breaking Racket.........wanna kick my partner AZZ when we LOSE(j/k)...........checking out chicks.........checking out Guys (j/k)..........Getting mad at William..for Cold shower (j/k)---I don't shower here.........It's PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

I luv Badminton...have fun
    Wow........