General knee/joint pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by hybisme, Oct 15, 2021.

1. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

If one is having knee pain (like just from doing squats/getting low), is it not recommended to play badminton?

Are there ways to strengthen the knee joints and such? Thanks

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

If you have pain when you squat, then something is probably injured.

What kind of pain is it? Sharp, dull? Does it come up slowly and get worse the more you squat (or keep playing)? Or does it only hurt on a specific movement and goes away straight after?

As for playing, as long as you don't feel any pain while playing, it shouldn't be a problem. If there is pain, you should stop playing or it could get worse. See if you can't get a doctor or physio to take a look at it.

The exercises to strengthen the knee would be squats and similar exercises. You should find light exercises that target the knee joint without hurting it, like leg extensions with little to no weight. You can then slowly add more weight, and work your way up to a full squat.

Also, at 109 years old, it can be very difficult to keep your joints strong;).

hybisme likes this.
  3. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

LOL, I input my birth year wrongly, I'm actually 104 years old :p

I find a little difficulty getting up from a squat or holding 90 degree angle (of the knee) ... like you thought I was moving in 0.8 or 0.9 speed.
    the pain kinda comes after squats ... like maybe 15-30 minutes (or more) after and goes away quite quickly with rest. The pain are Dull, aches kinda pain, not really affecting walking, slightly disturbing when climbing stairs tho.

Thanks for the exercise recommendation, I can try them out! :)

SnowWhite likes this.
  4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It doesn't seem like a very serious injury. If something is damaged you would probably feel it on exertion. When you say 15-30 minutes after, do you mean 15-30 minutes into the activity (badminton or otherwise), or after you're done? Do you also feel it the first few steps in the morning?

hybisme likes this.
  5. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

I haven't been exercising regularly, used to be cycling/walking up to 9 hours a day.

Anyway, so far its just squats and holding knee at 90 degree (back against wall or hand supporting)... pain usually comes after when I rested but I didn't have a long session (just 2 sets of 30 counts), so maybe it come happen mid-session if I have longer session. Knees feel tight during the sessions.

Morning varies. Have had pain on first few steps that goes away quite quickly as I moved more ...
    but on most occasions, wakes up feeling good.

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I don't really know what to make of it. Strengthening exercises should help, and I would say to keep being active so long as it doesn't cause pain, but if it doesn't get better you should definitely have a professional look at it.

hybisme likes this.
  7. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

Thanks for helping anyways! :D :Greatly apreciate that!! :)
    Will be keeping up with the strengthening exercises, hopefully next time will be able to ask in the techniques forum!!
    But now, it's restrictions everywhere and court is impossible to book ...

SnowWhite likes this.
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com