Gade-Christensen proves he’s back at his best

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by ants, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TOKYO: Former world number one Peter Gade-Christensen roared back to his best by dumping world and defending champion Xia Xuanze out of the Japan Open badminton tournament here yesterday.

Mixing aggressive smashes and disguised overhead shots with nimble footwork, the Dane pulled off a stunning 15-7, 15-12 win over the Chinese star to advance to the quarter-finals.

Gade-Christensen’s victory lifted the gloom for Denmark, who had seen defending champion Camilla Martin, playing her first match since an ankle injury forced her out of the All England in a wheelchair last month, crash out.

Martin, Gade-Christensen’s long-time sweetheart, lost 2-11, 11-13 to Germany’s Nicole Grether in the first round.

The Danish favourite, who is to retire after this summer’s Athens Olympics, put on a brave face after her 33-minute defeat, saying her expectations had been low in her comeback tournament.

“I didn’t expect anything. I’ve been injured for three weeks and it was my first match, so it is OK,” said Martin, 30.

Gade-Christensen had no such problems against Xuanze, piling up the points from 7-7 to win the first game and coming from behind four times in the second to win the last three points in a row.

At 12-all, a lucky soft-touched shot hit the top of the net to go in, then Gade-Christensen fired a jumping smash to take the first match point, roaring a scream of triumph when Xuanze’s shot floated out. – AFP

TheStar