Funny

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2004' started by pptam, Jun 30, 2004.

1. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
  2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    And this is the article ... just in case it gets moved.

Malay Mail Online - Thursday July 01, 2004

Sport: Badminton/Malaysia Open: No early ending for 'funeral face'
    S.S. DHALIWAL

HE was once dubbed the "praying mantis" and later became a "psycho" for the way he stared at his opponents during a match.

But of late, the nation's top singles shuttler Wong Choong Hann has been given a new nickname: "funeral face".

The new name is due to Choong Hann's deadpan facial expressions on court.

For the 27-year-old has a face that does not show any emotions, not even in victory or defeat.

But true to his off-the-court character, Choong Hann reacted with a hearty laugh when told what some fans have been calling him of late.

"The names some of the fans come up for me are really amusing. Do I really look like someone with no emotions on court?" questioned Choong Hann.

"I suppose I ought to smile once or twice so this tag does not stick." But for the time being, Choong Hann will rely on his "funeral-face" look to intimidate his first round opponent Peter Rasmussen of Denmark today.

The one and only time Choong Hann met the Dane was at the Danish Open in 1999, an encounter which the Malaysian prevailed in straight games.

"But then, Rasmussen was recovering from injury and besides, it has been such a long time," said Choong Hann, whose best achievement in the Malaysian Open was making the final in 1999 where he lost to China's Lou Yigang.

"Rasmussen has been playing well and the outstanding performances he displayed at the Thomas Cup in Jakarta must surely have boosted his confidence." Choong Hann is known to make early exits, with his latest defeat by compatriot Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the second round of the All-England this year.

And his earliest exit at the Malaysian Open was in 2001, where he lost to Thailand's Boonsak Polsana in the first round.

As for Rasmussen, his coach Steen Pedersen feels an upset could well be on the cards.

"Rasmussen has nothing to lose but everything to gain and that itself is pressure on Choong Hann," said Pedersen.

"Besides, Rasmussen is on a high following some outstanding matches in Jakarta."

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I guess his "funeral-face" look didn't work against peter R.
    There is no better incentive than to kill smashing on a zombie :D :p
    I hope WC Hann isn't reading this.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Feel sorry for ChoongHann though. What happened to him?

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Eh........he lost, that's what happened to him!

Maybe he was trying to smile and lost concentration.

#5 Dill, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004