footwork

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sarah Boslaugh, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Can anyone recommend a good source for learning footwork (preferably a book)?

2. alex

alex Guest

You may want to check this out. www.badminton.ca

They have a technical manual for the first 3 levels and it cost CAD$40. It's a good reference.

Alex

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sarah, badminton is one of few hard to learn sport if one really want to do it right. I read some badminton books before and it really tough to literally description all the possible bodily movement fluently. Real coaching is still the prefer method of learning.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sarah, if u still want some professional advice without the high fee, the next best thing is instruction from a video cd-rom. check out

http://www.badminton-interactive.com/

5. My name is Rachel. I have just been selected for the u/17 state team. My coach is Max Wood. I was just wondering i am having trouble getting back when the server flick serves to me.Sarah Boslaugh wrote:
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good source for learning footwork
    > (preferably a book)?

6. vince poon

vince poon Guest

Rachel, are you having trouble receiving flick serve in double or single? In double, is a bit tough to have a good return against a good flick serve. First I think you should learn to judge if a flick serve is in or out. Once you are good at judging in and out, you could pratice cutting it off with proper technique, ask a team mate to flick serve to you. If you can't jump up to cut it off and still can't get back in time maybe you should receive the serve further back. What do Paul think?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Standing back would be a temporary measure. Increasing foot speed (and have correct footwork) to get in position would be the preferable option.

8. Thomas

Thomas Guest

You may want to try to get the new book by former world champian Han Jian of China. He recently wrote a book on the Basic Skills in Badminton, published in Malaysia. Eventhough the book focuses on the basics, it is excellent for all levels and there is a chapter on footwork. Han Jian's strength is his footwork. He is currently a coach with the Pelican Badminton Academy in Malaysia.

9. Thomas

Thomas Guest

More information on Han Jian's Book. Title: BASIC SKILLS OF BADMINTON by Han Jian. Written with Ooi Lay Beng. Published this year by Sports Junction. 38, Jalan SS19/1D. 47500 Subang Jaya. Selangor, Malaysia. I bought it for RM20.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thomas, what RM20 in US$? I was amazed at how han jian beat morten frost in 1985 world title.

11. Thomas

Thomas Guest

RM stands for the Malaysian currency i.e. Ringgit Malaysia. The exchange rate is US$1.00 = RM3.80. So at RM20, it will be about US$5.26. The book has 122 pages and you can read all about Han Jian's excellent teaching in getting the basics right. Too many of us developed bad habits right from the start and this book gets us back to the foundation.