Footwork speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Udbhav, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't know.. I just tried leaning either way and can land either or neither way.. They seem fairly/somewhat independent to me..(obviously one would want to lean into the stroke but that's not my point). Though my scissor kick isn't that good and I am not that knowledgeable on it. I have improved mine a little bit recently so it's not as bad as it was. (so i'm not really trying to say much re how it should be done..)

I don't know why you say it's just a result of leaning into the stroke. People often do a scissor when late and when they can't really lean into the stroke, and they still land back foot then front foot. Your statement seems to leave that unanswered. I'd guess the feet are being timed , either that the foot that starts in front, comes back quite quick(not ideal but maybe necessary when late)..or (better, and possibly when early), that the foot that starts at the back, doesn't shoot forward too quickly as the hips turn. That way the foot that ends up as the back foot, lands first. If the shuttle is in front of you then sure the hips go into it. And the front foot isn't going to come way back, though i've seen still cases where it comes back a bit. .

What you say seems to suggest the front foot doesn't come back at all.. and possibly not even up.. And i'm not sure if you are taking into account a scissors don't when one is late. Are you really going to say that the front foot moves second?
    Well, note that when you say the back foot moves, maybe it's the hips and that takes the back foot forward.

And if anything I feel like maybe as the hips come forward, the back foot(foot that starts as back foot) doesn't shoot forward otherwise it would land first..

As for what happens to what foot first.. I've seen a footwork where the front foot comes off the floor first.. then there's a jump, the hips turn and the back foot moves.

And i've seen where the front foot stays on the floor and the hips move taking the back foot forward.

Many times, i've seen where the front foot does move back first.. Just a bit. I don't know why. And I don't thnk this s to do with whether one is behind the shuttle or not. (because whether one is behnd the shuttle or not And I don't that is necessarily purely for a case of not being behind the shuttle as sometmies it's just a bit.

If you look within the 6s-6:99s second of this video. Watch that second in slow motion like 0.25x speed.

The front foot is moving back before the back foot comes off the floor. And I've seen many other examples of that as well.

Thinking about why that is.. Maybe the hip moves first and then there's the jump. And that pre jump part of the hip movement might bring the front foot back a bit before the back foot gets off the ground.

I'm no expert and i'm not saying one way is right/wrong , though maybe it is

I never really learnt a great scissor kick.. I plan to one day!

#21 ralphz, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

No.

Where did you get that from?

The back foot lands then the front foot lands one after the other. Nobody iis going to land on the back foot then push off like on one leg like hopping around.

It's not even clear what you are talking about. Launching off the back foot, what liike a rocket. Launching where? What is your front foot doing. You're not making much effort in explaining what you mean.

Also you need to see a video of it being done at least.. They are all over youtube. Look up scissor kick

Does it look to you like people are doing that? (and that's not a rhetorical question)

And why are you still not posting a video of yourself doing it? You are not answering that question. Especially since you already said what you can and can't post, it doesn't make any sense.

Exactly how you are translating somebody's verbal statement into movement is anybody's guess.

How can you ask people for "corrections" on something they can't see. It makes absolutely no sense.

#22 ralphz, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We don’t know what your technique looks like - how to correct it?

posting videos of your problem would be a great way of starting to make a change.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You told him that already in post #15

And he has been asked why he hasn't.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Need to hammer the point home. You and me.

6. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Come back and edit your post after watching all videos on Kowi Chandra's playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHc_nAw8tAxFPHai0KQynCpgSUUFaRRan

Equally you might have more questions than answers after watching, but many if not all of your 5 questions are answered in these videos. It will be the best 1 hour of 'training' you can get right now.

Echoing others...no specific comments until you post a video of yourself, whether you're on court or not.

#26 DarkHiatus, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

It's your assumption that leaves it unanswered that you can only utilize your upper body when jumping forward... but that's not true. You can have the center of mass traveling backwards and still use your upper body actively.

Sure, when actively trying to not land with your back foot first, you'll achieve that, but what's the point? I write my posts with words I have chosen before that helped most people get it right without focusing on to many things, which just leads to too much tension in your body, not to have people try to prove me wrong by actively doing other movements.

Mason and Cheung like this.
  8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You post a month later, so we come back to this over a month later since you just took issue with something I wrote and claim I said something absurd that I didn't and would never say.. I will try to see what the thread of conversation was.

I have no idea why you think I assumed that "you can only utilize your upper body when jumping forward"

I never said anything remotely like that, and never would. That'd be absurd.

Of course you can utilize your upper body when jumping backwards. or forwards.

Where did you get that from?!

I never even used the term "upper body" until this post quoting you.

What I said was "When you say the scissor jump takes more time, do you mean getting to the shuttle? or do you mean coming forward after hitting the shuttle?" You didn't answer that..(from what I can see, unless I missed it)

Then I said "When you land from a scissor jump you can come forward quickly, if you land (what I understand to be correctly) - back foot then front foot."

I'm pretty sure i'm correct on that! (And the only reason I wrote "what I understand to be" is because in your video you do it differently but you later seem to me to perhaps suggest that yeah you should have landed back foot then front foot. That indicates that I was right)

You then said "True, but wrong chain of argumentation. Leaning with your body into the stroke will lead to landing with the back foot first."

So you seem to me to be saying that i'm right but my reasoning is wrong. What reasoning is wrong? Landing back foot then front foot DOES help to come forward!

I didn't even state the reasoning why landing back foot then front foot helps come forward, though I would have if asked. So how can you say that my argument(reasoning) is wrong.

You then state that telling somebody to land back foot then front foot means they might do it wrongly.

So are you suggesting that I shouldn't tell them the truth because they might get it wrong? By that reasoning you shouldn't tell anybody any technique because they might get it wrong.

And they'd only get it wrong if they use that information wrongly. e.g. coming up with and blindly following their own incorrect ideas about how it should be done. And if they don't watch videos showing how it is done. You then suggest all sorts of ways they could do it wrongly, You say that somebody might tell them to push with the back leg. Well, I'm not saying that. And this is meant to be showing how my "argumentation" is wrong. You can't blame me for something incorrect that somebody else might potentially say to them.

I then said, again very correctly "Looking at the scissor jump you do in your video wouldn't it be better if you landed back foot then front foot so you can come forward quickly."

And you write something to try to defend why you didn't land back foot then front foot. Along the lines of that you weren't focussing on it..

You then said "Leaning with your body into the stroke will lead to landing with the back foot first." That sounds like a mechanical statement to me, like you are saying that if somebody leans into the stroke then they'd just naturally land correctly, back foot then front foot. It's not true.. I've even seen somebody lean in and get it wrong and land on their front foot first, and they were puzzled why they weren't coming forwards 'cos they weren't conscious that their feet were landing in the wrong order.

You write "when actively trying to not land with your back foot first, you'll achieve that, but what's the point?"

You know i'm not saying to actively try to not land on the back foot first. Especially since I said to land back foot then front foot. You know I was testing the truth of the statement you said which sounds like a statement about the mechanics of the movement.

I'm saying to land back foot first, then front foot. You seem to be making the claim that it naturally *will* happen if somebody leans forward. Like one should just trust that it always will so long as one leans forward. I don't think it does. a) I did a quick test and it didn't prove you right(it proved your statement wrong) b)i've seen somebody do it wrong landing the wrong way And as an aside, c), in your video you didn't even land back foot first then front foot. Considering 'b' this is not even just a theoretical.

Maybe you were fibbing when you said that. Or you don't care whether it's true or not but only whether you think it helps a person. But even if that's your mentality, the fact is the poster asked, among other things, about the scissor jump,and you showed him a video. You justified the fact that you land both feet (not back foot then front foot), in your video by writing that "It's a video for people who already know the scissor jump" and " It's a video on footwork pattern" (so I guess you think it doesn't matter that you didn't land back foot then front foot). But the person asking didn't know. The person asking had incorrect ideas about the scissor kick e.g. he said "pushing from the back feet immediately after landing" So he doesn't seem to know proper technique for a scissor kick. So if your whole thing is trying to get somebody to do the correct thing even if telling them something that isn't exactly correct, and that's your pedagogical approach, then surely from a pedagogical perspective, if somebody doesn't know how to do a scissor kick, you wouldn't want to show them a video of yourself doing a scissor kick wrongly, / that doesn't look quite right e.g. doesn't land back foot then front foot, and that you say is meant for somebody that already knows how to do a scissor kick.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I never said ""you can only utilize your upper body when jumping forward" which you seem to claim I did. I never even used the term "upper body" here.. you did. What I did say, (that the back foot lands before the front foot, is completely correct).. You've used a very roundabout strange argument that confirms that what I said is correct, but I guess maybe you don't like me stating it, maybe because in your video(which you show to somebody that doesn't know how to do a scissor kick) you neglect to land back foot then front foot. 'cos you then say your video was about footwork in general, and was for somebody that knows how to do a scissor kick, apparently, so you landed wrong. But the person you were replying to with that video, didn't know how to do a scissor kick.

I have no issue with you wanting to do that in your video.. Or you showing your video.. I only mention it by comparison since you think that saying to land back foot then front foot is misleading. (But if talking about misleading, I think it's more misleading to land feet at the same time on video, when you think one should land back foot then front foot)

And to say that I "assumed" this "you can only utilize your upper body when jumping forward" That's absurd totally false and I would never say such a thing, my position is the opposite. You can utilise the upper body regardless. And utilise your upper body are not even my words, they're your words. I can use those words "utilise the upper body" if you like, but I wouldn't say what you claimed I said..

And when you're not making a crazy false claim about what I wrote, i'm happy to prove you right, which was what I tried to do, but sometimes it's not possible.

#28 ralphz, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020