First racket for beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Becis, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Becis

Becis New Member

Hello,

I am a new player and played badminton 3 times so far, but I fall in love with this sport. I have a friend and we agreed that we will be going to play 2-3 times per week. So I would like to choose some better racket for our games.

I dont really have any budget but if it would be possible to fit between 100-150 it would be great. However if it is needed to invest more I can do it.

I dont know yet what kind of play I like, but it seems that some longer and faster shots from middle/end of the field would be my favorite choice. I am basically looking for a racket which will be good in everything but master of none and would not punish me for my beginner mistakes and inaccurate shots.

If it would be possible I would prefer to buy a racket where string would be ready to go from the factory, but after reading several articles I am not sure if that is possible. If not I can find some shop where can put a string in to my racket.

So what would by your first choice for racket in my situation?

2. Becis

Becis New Member

and maybe few more hints which would help. I am 29 years old, 172cm of height with really good fittnes from cycling races

3. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I would suggest Victor Bravesword 12 if it is available in your area. It's an old model, but I've tried a lot of new rackets produced by the major brands over the past four years since I started playing, and I think it's both user/beginner friendly and a great racket even for advanced players.

The racket is even balanced and flexible/medium stiff. It's a good base to start with

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Consider its ur 3rd games for your entire life, i would imagine you are early begineer.
    So for that i would suggest you just get any racket regardless the brand that fit your budget & color taste.
    Expensive racket are not quite recomended for few reason.
    1. Beginner tend to clash alot especially when you play double.
    2. Expensive racket had tendency for being demanding to use.
    3. Do u own badminton shoes? I see many beginner just focus on racket & forget the shoes entierly & Its far better to use cheap badminton shoes than a running shoes.
    4. Its to early to know your preference. Better save it for future investment. As you progress, pretty sure you would want to had new toy.

Barkov Maxim, speCulatius and Woesi like this.
  5. Becis

Becis New Member

I dont have badminton shoes, but I am going to buy them tomorrow :)

Victor Bravesword 12 is available in europe so it should be possible for me to order it.

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Might seems flexible/medium stiff because of your experience/level of play but it is going to feel medium flex/stiff for a 3-time-player.

I would recommend anything flexible, heavy-headed or balanced, strung at 9/9.5 kg with some repulsion string (lining #1?). 4U, eventually 3U, but no less than 4U.

#6 LenaicM, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    Yves-bzh-29, Budi and speCulatius like this.
  7. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

I recommended Bravesword 12 taking into Becis's profile (29 yo and he sounds to be pretty fit), my own experience starting playing badminton, and my experience trying a variety of rackets.

When I started playing badminton in early 2019 (I was in my early 40s and physically fit), I started playing with a couple of mid-end Yonex rackets. I also tried a friend's Bravesword 12 and instantly liked it, but it wasn't available in the city where I lived. I eventually managed to find BS12 3U and continued to buy a variety of rackets thinking there are better rackets out there that will suit me (head light to head heavy, flexible to very stiff), including all the Astroxes (with the exception of Astrox 77), Nanoflare 700 and 800, Arcsaber 11, Li Ning Tectonic 7 and Aerosonic 9000C, Victor JS12, Auraspeed 90S, TK Enhanced.

If I have to repeat again as a beginner, I would start with BS12 3U, which is even balanced, and is probably the most flexible out of all the rackets I've tried with the exception of NF700 or Tectonic 7. That's how I arrived at my recommendation. And the price of BS12 should be lower than most high-end rackets in the market now.

For string, for whatever reasons, I started with 26lbs, and still string with 26lbs until today. If Becis wants to be more conservative, 23-24lbs should work given his level of fitness

I second Budi's suggestion that a good pair of shoes is very important

Equipment choice is very personal of course

NickifiedNg and LenaicM like this.
  8. Jtcjw

Jtcjw Regular Member

Regarding string, just wanted to add I found Lining No.1 too hard for me. So for a beginner, I would think a more medium feeling string like Yonex Ultimax is a safer choice. I used Ultimax a lot but lately have been using Aerosonic more because it seems to hold tension for a longer period of time. A repulsive string like Aerosonic, strung at say 23-26lbs, should work for a beginner who is physically fit

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Alexious

Alexious Regular Member

if you are beginner go for budget racket first
    get lining rackets if that possible (i use lining superlite max9)
    good paint, good technologies, and newbie friendly

i agree with Budi
    i just played badminton this june, i bought like 30-50 USD per badminton equipment
    the first thing that i change into the high one is shoes after i got ankle with 30 usd shoes
    at least, it provides better protection now and in the future. i use p9200ii tty

second you might consider is badminton bag
    coz after i bought lining bag, i just realized i need more compartment for my accs, so im planning get a new bag :)
    so, better get the right bag so you dont need to buy again

the last thing u wanna change as a newbie is racket
    coz u havent known what your preference, so i suggest you buy 3 type of racket with low budget
    headlight, headheavy, evenbalanced

after you play several times, maybe you will know what type of racket you like then you can buy high-end racket

sry for my long post, just sharing my experience as a newbie too :)

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Buy 3 new racket might be overkill to some people even if its just cheap racket. No need to to buy all 3. Just get anything & as you progress, borrow every racket owned by ur friend & know each of those racket characteristic. But consider OP still new to this, im sure for at least the next 3 month OP wont know the different between racket when using it, which is why its to early to be picky.

11. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Are you going to play singles or double?

I would recommend you try our the new ArcSaber 7 or 11 tour. It is a new racket and the medium flex even balance will give you some options to figure out what you prefer in a racket. Consider an overall string such as BG65 or BG80 at a lower tension (8-10 kg).

Don't buy a highend racket - you risk getting injured and you will not have the technique to use it yet.

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Isnt BG80 abit demanding to use even at low tension compare to repulsive string?

LenaicM likes this.
  13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Agreed, equipment choice is personal and for all I know OP could thrive on a BS12 but I would not advise badminton equipement such as rackets or string tension based on fitness level (cycling especially), but technique.

Reading OP's first post on this thread, I'm not sure he has any foundations in terms of technique (which is totally normal after 3 sessions).

14. Becis

Becis New Member

Thanks for the advices, unfortunately the Yonex ArcSaber 7 was already replaced with Arcsaber 11 in my location. Would you have some other tip for me?

15. Becis

Becis New Member

What do you think about Yonex Duora 7? Thats available for really good price in our country.

16. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Also the new Pro/Tour/play versions? They are brand new and the Arcsaber 7 is even newer then the 11.

17. Barkov Maxim

Barkov Maxim Regular Member

Please, did not spend much for the first racket. Choose simple full carbon with strong frame. From Yonex range I would recommend Astrox 1DG,7DG or 10DG

With Astrox 99 Play will be difficult to clear

18. kingsooji

kingsooji Regular Member

I went from BG65 (soft feeling) to BG80. BG80 is a hard feeling string. Initially I didn't like it. But once you get used to the control aspect of the string you won't go back to BG65. The hard feel, the rough texture lets you control the bird as you wish.

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

True but for 3 times player he wont benefit from what BG80 offer at all. Let alone control, doubt he could hit properly, not to mention BG80 had more concentrated sweetspot which would makes him harder to hit properly. When he is a far better player, he might like it but for now just stay away from BG80.

LenaicM likes this.