Finishing tape..

Discussion in 'Grip' started by jonnynova, Jun 26, 2022.

1. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

Hi all,

No matter which finishing tape I use, be it the ones Yonex provide with the grip or my own bought electrical tape, the tape slowly starts to peel off and 'slip' up the shaft after a day or 2. Does anyone have any tips to make them more secure? Many thanks.

2. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Do you happen to have a picture of your grip? There really shouldn't be any slippage. Is the finishing tape partially on the shaft as well instead of only just the grip tape?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

3. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

yes partially on the shaft, is this incorrect? I've just reapplied more tape so will take a pic when it eventually loosens again..

4. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

actually after just an hour it's already showing signs of loosening.. here is picture

Attached Files:

5. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

The only thing that I can think of is that the tape isn't adhering to itself that well. Moisture is one cause, or that you didn't rub the tape so it adheres properly, which I'm sure you do.

Have you ever tried using the square end of the grip tape at the base and use the tapered end up top? That could possibly help and you wouldn't need to use any finishing tape

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

6. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

I have not tried that thank you for the suggestion I will try that next time

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

It happen to me once.
    Not sure if its the grip tape itself are bad or not.
    But 1 thing i remember, i tried new grip brand but it just somewhat extra long grip. It wrap up to the cone even tho i already overlap the bottom handle 2x makes the bottom bulkier. I know some might ask why not cut it. It just happen im missing my scissor & think "the hell just tape it as it is". Coz im not used to wrap in this position & i try to stretch the tape to much to shape it like nice small cone shape, the glue kinda losen up. I end up replace it with electrical tape coz it wont stick anymore after few days. So did you stretch the tape?

8. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I use the Yonex ac102 overgrap things and don't have this issue. Does the black panther racquet have a finish that is really smooth and not easy to stick things to?

There's nothing wrong with using electrical tape as an alternative to the yonex tape. I've used both in my grippings

9. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

My yonex ac102 tape has the same issue for the first day, i just keep pushing it down when I see it until it stops doing that (usually after a one or two days).

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I don't think Yonex ac102 has problem in it. I am handling those grips for nearly 6 years. I don't have any problem .

11. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I think I had the same problem TC had when I was gripping VT80 and some mid range nanorays. Which lead me to ask if it was difficult to stick to that particular racquet

12. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

yes I do stretch the finishing tape a bit to try and reduce the amount of creases that try to form, which ends up forming anyway.. I will try less stretching next time

13. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

It also happens on my 88d pro and seems to be more to do with the tape adhesion to itself and maybe the stretch caused by pulling it taut when applying is correcting itself over time..

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Also make sure your fingers are clean, and not sweaty or greasy, which would affect the tape sticking to itself.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk