Finals...

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by Syaoran_Style, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    I am really not too fond of words being put in my mouth by others.

03-15-2004 07:44 PM, R23 was saying: “….But it is not something that you're allowed to do on every serve…”
    - Here I am exxagerating to prove a point.

For the record, I did not say that Lee wasn't ready every single time he was being served to, merely that it happened too often.

R23, I don’t believe u r a professional badminton player. U must be a lawyer or a politician….
    - I am not top level pro like these people, but more like low level pro. In Denmark I play in the same division as these guys do from time to time. I think pro signifies when you are being paid to some extent for playing, and my club pays me for playing.

But perhaps I should indeed consider being a badminton lobbyist or litigation lawyer. Wouldn't that be something.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Reminder!!

Nice discussion, guys:)

Try not to attack people personally. It does not contribute to the discussion.

Thanks

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am Not a fan of either of these pairs, BUt I feel sorry for the malaysians, but as professionals, they should be able to accept it, and move on.

I mentioned in another thread, that Lee wan wah didnt seem to hold Luungaard-Hansen on his serve, so on that count I believe It may be intentional, but also Eriksens serve style means he doesnt see the opponent after he serves, so cannot see if not ready. At this point Eriksen opens himself to disturbing his rhythm, and he has this happen to him quite often if you watch his games.

But although I feel sorry for the malaysians, they simply shouldnt let it affect them, and it is there mental fragility that has lead them to not winning an "important title" in their career so far. They can do it once (Robertson/clark), twice (rasmessen/paaske), even three times (Cai/fu). But to win major title, you have to be 100% mentally in every game.

For his fact I dont believe they will be a major tournament champion. Also they should learn to lose gracefully, like Kim/Ha and many others do, but they act like little boys whenthey lose, and Jump up and down, stomp around the court, Like you used to when stamping up the stairs when parents tell you off. (they acted like this yesterday, and thomas cup 200 against trikush/halim)

4. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    Really? Stomping around the court??! Hilarious!! The TV production did not let us see that. But joking aside it merely underlines the necessity for mental training/preparation for these guys. It would be more understandable if they were both 20 years old and this was their first breakthrough, but that is not really the case....
    Does not improve theír co-relations if, supposedly, Choong is blaming Lee for their shortcomings quite often. A little similar to Chandra always being unhappy with Sigit not practising enough and telling him so.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Well not exactly stomping, but pretty close, I just think they are little boys, who get annoyed when they lose.

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    'Exciting Stuff'

This is perhaps the most controversial of all AE men's doubles tie in recent times! With people from all over the world putting in more than their $5.00's worth of thought on the matter, this could turn out to be quite an issue.

I kinda wonder if any officials from IBF are here reading our fiery debate on this matter...

Either way, I have to agree, regardless of the umpire's decision which I think could be the turning point for the match as well as comparison to Peter's earlier, that the mistake is the umpire's, not Lund/Eriksen's.

So, do not crucify the Danes for something they did not do. We should concentrate on the quality of umpiring and line calls instead, and perhaps to a certain extent, selection of officials.

But why didn't Choong / Lee just bounce back in the rubber and do as they were earlier? That only shows that they are simply not mentally strong enough to cope with high pressure badminton scenarios. And don't forget that winning AE2004 is not a divine right.

But I sure know the feeling of comfort pulled from under your feet - already so close to one of the biggest prize in world badminton, only to be startled by a highly disputed call, and a warning. It would set anybody into anger and affect their mental state.

Lund/Erikssen took their chances in the 3rd set and they won. Period.

Umpiring, another matter altogether.

It was NOT Lund/Eriksen's fault. At the most, it was the umpire's. Neither was it Runner23's or the rest of Europe's or the West, or whatever division you want to call it.

#306 wilfredlgf, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what Cheung said.

constructive debate in a respectful manner is OK.

but no personal attack or trash talking please.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ants!!!!!

9. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    kwun's looking for a bug to squish! hahahhaha ... awesome discussions going on covering the whole gamut of possibilities! Take a look at the number-of-viewings of this thread ...

-dave

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    :confused:

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ants told me about the "Denmark Kunne" ! :mad: ;) :D

12. Justice

Justice Regular Member

Yellow cards to some of us.
    Hopefully red card to that witch!! Listen, IBF, Ms Handcock is found guilty of killing badminton!

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Runner23,
    Hope you understand the disapointment of our Malaysian friends. I think you also agreed in an earlier post that the umpire may not have made the best decision which was great from your part.

But anyways, the game is finished and results published. Let's wait for the next tournament and hope it will run under calmer waters. :)