Finals Tie

Discussion in 'All England 2003' started by ronk, Feb 15, 2003.

1. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Final Matches:

Men's Singles:
    Chen Hong vs. Hafiz Hashim
    <The All-Hashim, All-Brother, All-Malaysian, All-England final was not to be, instead we have a reprise of the semi-finals of Chen vs. Hashim>

Women's Singles:
    Gong Ruina or Xie Xangfang vs. Zhou Mi
    <All-Chinese, All-England final -- what a big surprise>

Men's Doubles:
    Lee Dong-Soo & Yoo Yong-Sung vs. Sigit Budiarto & Candra Wijaya or Kim Yong-Hyun & Yim Bang-Eun
    <Dare we hope for an All-Korean, All-England final or will Sigit and Candra pull it out? Korea has another top doubles pair>

Women's Doubles:Gao Ling & Huang Sui or Ann-Lou Jorgensen & Rikke Olsen vs. Yang Wei & Zhang Jiewen or Lee Kyung-Won & Yim Kyung-Jin
    <No update, but a possible All-Chinese, All-England final>

Mixed Doubles:
    Chen Qiqiu & Zhao Tingting vs. Zhang Jun & Gao Ling
    <Another All-Chinese, All-England final with Chen & Zhao coming out of nowhere to make it to the finals>

It seems that the finals might be contests between country people. Team China has proved to be very strong.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    UPDATE

Men's Singles:
    Chen Hong vs. Hafiz Hashim

Women's Singles:
    Xie Xangfang vs. Zhou Mi

Men's Doubles:
    Lee Dong-Soo & Yoo Yong-Sung vs. Sigit Budiarto & Candra Wijaya

Women's Doubles:
    Gao Ling & Huang Sui vs. Yang Wei & Zhang Jiewen

Mixed Doubles:
    Chen Qiqiu & Zhao Tingting vs. Zhang Jun & Gao Ling

China is definitely very strong in the women events but is lacking in the men doubles and faces stiff competition in the men singles. Given the lack of success from the Danish in the singles events, it does not bode well for Denmark at the Sudirman Cup.

3. ronk

ronk Regular Member

China is in 7 of the 10 finals. It does not bode well for other countries in the upcoming Sudirman cup. Among the badminton powers, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Korea each made it to one final and Denmark made it to no final.

Ron

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Indeed, China looks like she is making a warning to all contestants that she already has her eyes set on the SC and is about to take it again. Against China:
    Denmark would be in big trouble if they cannot get a point from Peter or Camilla, which at this point looks like they won't. Korea needs to get a point from WD to have a chance at all. Indonesia has to win MS and MD for sure or it's over. Thailand could possibly win in MD but that's about all. England could also possibly win in MD but that's it.

Is the Cup already in the bag or is it still a free-for-all??

Go China! Zhong Guo Jia You!

5. Xu Zhen

Xu Zhen Regular Member

Are you a Chinese?:D

6. libra

libra Regular Member

While i'm a little dissapointed that roslin failed to make it an all m'sian final, i'm still happy that it's not another match to be played out between players from the same country.

i find same coutry match lack excitment and usually do not live up to it being a final - i'm thinking most of the recent ladies singles and doubles, Ha TK Kim DM vs Lee DS Yoo YS or further back Alan vs Ardy (for olympic gold 92) - all missing the 'punch' of a finals match between players from different countries.

possible reason for this is that these players know each other's game too well and killing the bird is not so easy so they don't try as often or maybe they are thinking the title is already in the bag so their performance suffers... i don't know. i would just prefer it another way.

on the other hand, if country men were able to come up with a real rivalry say sampras vs aggasi i think things might get interesting... sadly this almost never seems to happen.

7. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    jia you zhong guo!

8. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Right on TOmike!!! Let's get the chant going 1 month before the event starts!!!!

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Candra and Sigit for the mens, c'mon you boys!!!