Feeling vulnerable with only one racquet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cheung, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The string in my astrox 88D pro just broke and I only have one of this racquet. Can't get another until don't know when. Have to wait for it to be restrung.

Feel so insecure with only one racquet.....Don't want to be playing with the other racquets. LOL.

I am honestly thinking about ordering another from Japan (even if it is more expensive). The 3U version seems so hard to get.

kwun likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The solution you are looking for is right around the corner. Just buy a stringing machine and get it over with! :D

Shamwow and SnowWhite like this.
  3. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

that is why when you order new one - you get at least 3 :D at least I do only like that

Shamwow likes this.
  4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

That's what I did for my main racket, but now it is from three down to one. I need to get some new ones, but for now I just restring it when it starts to show even the slightest of fraying. Bg80 rarely snaps out of nowhere, at least not for me. So I never have to change rackets within a session.

That's another solution. Get a durable string, tension not too high, and just get it restrung when it starts to show its age.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The next order will be two racquets to make it three of the same model…

BG 80 at only 28lbs. Main string in the centre snapped right in the middle.

6. khoai

khoai Regular Member

7. khoai

khoai Regular Member

You should try ABBT, which has similar hard feeling to BG80 although not as hard. The best thing is, it's almost impossible to break the main (0.72mm). The cross will be worn out but you can see fray clearly. I have many hard hitter friends/customers converted to ABBT due to the exact same reason. For over 2 years, only once main was snapped by a super hard smashing kid (18 yo) but kids here, they also break racket shaft without clashing. I've destroyed a lot of BG80 myself before, same tension as yours.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

what tension do you recommend?

9. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

the biggest advantage of having 3 the same is actually stringing durability, you have to string 3 times less or even more, with only one I would really have to restring very often...

my precious 3 98k's are coming :)

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I feel it. I made a few years ago the decision to play only one model and have 3 of them with same string and grip in my bag. Don't get these people which play 3 different models with different strings and even tensions and ratios, grips...

3 is for me the minimum. If I play a tournament it would be a horror for me if a string breaks when I have just 2 same rackets total or even worse if in doubles a racket break due clash and I will only have one backup whose strings may not break during the games. Absolutely nightmare and will f*** my mind, so I would play more tame and gentle.

I also discovered a more consistent play with less errors and mishits if I'm married to one model with identical set up. @Cheung I feel how you must feel. One racket is too less. Enough identical rackets gave me serenity and total focus on me, us as pair and the opponents. It's like heaven if you don't have think about this anymore.

A different string will only shift the moment of breakage when you still have one racket for play.

11. khoai

khoai Regular Member

It really depends on how you prefer repulsion or durability.

For repulsion, stick with 28/31 but then the thin aerosonic cross will only last for so long (around 10 days for me with 4-5 sessions/week, 40-50 games and 1-2 hours training total). You'll get quick, repulsive shots for drive/push/net kill.

If you want it to last longer, do square tension 28 or 29. The cross will not contribute as much, so less repulsive but it'll last twice as long. Smashes should feel somewhat similar.

Cheung likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

this is interesting. If I order from outside of Australia, GST shouldn’t be charged . Two racquets (including aud$60 postage) bring the price down to practically what we would get in Hong Kong.

Air delivery might take longer due to reduced flights Covid times.

Even stranger is this quotation which charges more for the same racquet from the same shop and a different international shipping charge…. That’s very odd.

https://www.calibreaustralia.com/ba...rung-p-1848?osCsid=7u82b84d10ju6l3dj9igg9pai5

#12 Cheung, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  13. Robin Hardwick

Robin Hardwick Regular Member

Hi Cheung, i got mines at Badminton-Point.com. It is a French shop just baseer across the German border. Fair chance they have a 3U, since i sent my 3U 88D Pro and changed it for a 88D Pro 4U. Otherwise you can PM me for any questions. Good luck!

14. boby

boby Regular Member

i still didn't get it, is it due to 88d pro 3U so impressive or another factors could make an experiences player vulnerable?

I wonder YY put more addictive substance on their new products.... :rolleyes:

15. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Was wondering myself as well. You can email them. James Kuo seems to be a nice guy.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

No stock in shops and don’t when next shipment is due

17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

for casual player its normal to had many different kind of racket coz no matter how serious the games it still just a games & changing racket which could disrupt your performance are not important.
    Different from they who get into a tournament. They want their 100% all time, so having 10 racket of the same model is better than having 100 colorfull collection. Switching racket during important games are horrible, so with the same racket you can always switching racket without worrying it would affect your performance. Thats why having only 1 single racket would makes one feel vulnerable.

Cheung likes this.
  18. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    If you play often one racket is not enough ..

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Got my racquet back. strings feel good.

However, I was working with a coach today. He was thinking I might be better suited to 4U version ! Basically my game is a counter attack style and controlling from the mid forecourt areas. Maybe I should go back and compare the two again!

khoai likes this.
  20. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Are you serious? That was what I did too lol. I used to play exclusively 3U rackets over many different racket generations because 4U was always kind of too light. What I didn't realize was I mostly used speed/head light rackets: Victor BS/JS/MX and Yonex NS/NR. Then I settled with AX88D 3U. Always thought it suited me being too old, too slow and faster racket would not make my swing any faster. I was also recommended by an ex-pro to switch to 4U after seeing me played at a mini tournament and I'm now a happy AX88D 4U player. Luckily, my son had 2 of them so I didn't need to spend much money on new rackets other than buying him a new NF800 3U, which I'm also itchy to try.

Coming back to the original purpose of this thread, switching to ABBT really made me feel comfortable even with one racket. It doesn't necessarily last longer but you can tell in advance by the fray of the cross. Restring before a tournament and it sure lasts through 10-20 hard games easily.

Cheung likes this.