Fastest badminton shoe?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Magwitch, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I was wondering what the fastest badminton shoe might be. I have recently been diagnosed with a health condition in which I fatigue easily, so a fast shoe would help.

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Sorry to hear your body is not as fit as it was. Coping with it is tough ride.

Regarding shoes: most non-heavy shoes would do, I guess? Asics Gel Blade, Yonex Aerus?

I can imagine every little thing helps, but from my own experience, learning to use limited energy effectively can give you more benefit to longer time on court than slightly lighter gear. Not needing to go all out on every hit, patience, effective footwork, a bit of technique. This may take time, but is well worth the attention in the long run.
    If you feel you need to use a lot of power for a clear, perhaps an easier (a step more flex?) racket has more immediate impact than shoes.

Hope you find a way to keep enjoying yourself on court as much as possible!

Cheung and Magwitch like this.
  3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes work on technique is of major importance, and that is one part of how I'm dealing with the issue. I wouldn't be accused of having good technique just yet!

4. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

A light thin 'fast' shoe will most likely lead to injuries.

If you are already having body fatigue issues for medical reasons, the worst thing you could do is put more pressure on your knees, ankles and feet.

I have no idea about your weight or body physique or condition, just a word of warning. I'm in the best shape and fitness of my life at 26, and I got injured, wearing reasonably supportive shoes [as far as badminton shoes go] in 65 Z2's.

Been 2.5 months, Thorlos socks, superfeet insoles will now be mandatory as the baseline for playing sports until I die.

I compete in table tennis at a pretty high level [last 2.5 months has been TT only, badminton would destroy all my recovery progress in a single session], and the older guys who are still elite [top 20 or 30 or 50 in the country] at age 50/60/70, all play a more efficient style rather than relying on the fastest footwork, as their stamina is great, but that will fatigue/injure them if they rely on super fast and aggressive footwork for too long, and lead to errors [or death!].

Control the rhythm, rather than covering the court like a young stud, and smashing 6 times per point.

5. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

I played 5 minutes in sneakers once, lets just say i couldn't walk for around 10 weeks without crutches after that.
    Incredibly dangerous, and you have no lateral movement ability - your speed will increase a good 20-25% from going to even basic court shoes.

Running shoes are designed to go forward [or backwards]. Court shoes and their gum sole ensure lateral movement isn't impeded.

Cheung, demolidor and thyrif like this.
  6. Briyanihayakawa

Briyanihayakawa Regular Member

I do agree. it depends on your playing style and your body shape too. A lightweight shoe will not work on a guy who has high BMI and may not have the best footwork if playing singles. Will lead to injuries but for doubles maybe a lightweight shoe may help.

But for lightweight fast shoe, would recommend the ASICS Gel- Blade 7

7. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

I would agree Briyan, but I think lean/athletic people underestimate how much pressure / load they are putting on their body.

When you are leaner and faster and if you play at a good level, any single movement will be more explosive, plus you'll move significantly more per hour, and can play for longer [i.e. 3 hours instead of say 1.5 hours]. You are able to do this because you are lighter, but the result is you are expending 3-4 x more energy in a session, and your body is taking that load.

When it comes to shoes, lower padding etc, when you are doing high intensity jump smashes and landing, lots of lunges and quick rapid recovery to prepare for the next shot - because you are light...that's a lot of load. Even if you are light. My foot injury was purely too much load, my weight is not light nor heavy [5'10, 75kg 26 yo Male], but playing table tennis at a high level 4x a week and badminton 1x a week also at a competitive level, puts a lot of pressure by way of footwork.

The shoe [65 Z2], insole [the default thin crap that comes with the shoe] and sock [random sports socks with low amounts of cushioning] all not helping cushion / support / spread the impact from the footwork all lead to eventual injury after 3-4 months of playing this much [New Zealander, so we were covid free for most of the last 8 or 9 months]. My compromise has been to keep the same shoe [for cost and performance reasons], but improve the socks and insole to being highly supportive. Furthermore, even the most supportive high end court shoes are still pretty **** for support anyway, so might as well improve the others aspects [socks/insoles].

This is why professionals get injured so much, especially after their career is finished - their body has been pushed far beyond its limits for decades, and the training and equipment they use is largely based purely around performance at all costs. Many professional players in many sports cannot run or jog even walking is with pain. Kamaru Usman is a current world champion in MMA, and cannot run, and walks up stairs backwards to lower impact on his knees. But it is worth it for the money, success and gold medals [to them].

Cheung, thyrif and Briyanihayakawa like this.