FAQ: Can I string outside of the recommended tension of 24lbs, 28lbs or above 30lbs?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, May 18, 2011.

1. bigbadguy

bigbadguy Regular Member

Hi, I read the part on the mis hitting the shuttercork which will stress the racket and may break/crack it,

I'm actually using an old racket Carbonex 8SP and I've mis hit hundreds of times and now I'm worried that my racket will crack soon if I continue hitting the shutter with the frame,
    Is there a way to prolong the life of the Racket as i'm a beginner and often mis hit? Will lower tension helps to reduce stress on the frame work and hence prolonging the life of the racket?

I'm currently stringing at 21lbs

Thanks

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Sir, you do not even need to have any string on your racquet frame, and if you keep mishitting the shuttle and contact it on the frame, the frame will still crack eventually. No string tension can help with your problem at all.

The only solution is to tidy up your technique and hit the shuttle properly contacting it at the stringbed sweetspot and not contact the shuttle at all at the frame.

3. bigbadguy

bigbadguy Regular Member

Thank you Sir for the infomation, I will brush up my techniques to prolong my racket life ;)

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Does anybody has experiences with Victor rackets strung above the 30lbs? Actually I use my MX80's at 28x30lbs with BG66UM. This tensions feels ok, but I want to increase next time. Does anybody know a limit of possible tension? Maybe the guys with a broken rackets? ;)

5. doxdox13

doxdox13 Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Some rackets lose their response at tensions over their recommended rating. If the frame contorts too much from its original shape, you wont get the ideal response from the racket. You can sense this if you hit with your racket and it has a drawn-out vibration (feels like a buzz in your hand, like cheap/imitation rackets) rather than a crisp hit.

6. doxdox13

doxdox13 Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Unless you are hitting with a force to split the cork of the shuttle, dont worry about it. Carbonex are fine at that tension, and if it is that old simply pick up a newer Yonex if it dies. You are more likely to break from a clash.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Maybe you want to add what are the possible causes of breakage?

1) Manufacturing defects (There's always a % of defects depending on the models).
    2) Grommet issues - Getting sharp. Exposure to heat
    3) string exposed to heat or expired possibly too long kept like after 1-2 years?
    4) Frame impact damage due to hitting the shuttles on the frame or a tiny clash.
    5) Machine tension callibration issue. Tension not accurate.
    6) Too many times high tension stringing and playing (aging racket). Eg. strung more than 5 times at tension more than the recommended or at near max tension.

Do add on. So that most will be aware of it.

Lastly ( I think most will not agree).
    Lousy player. lol
    Abusive player. lol
    ;)

Also, can you guess how many rackets a person will break in their lifetime?
    Intermediate and advance level. 1, 2, 3, or 10? ;)

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If a Yonex racket is strung with Zymax strings, can I make warranty claim with Yonex?

9. steiven

steiven New Member

Assistant Manager, Network Communication
    What's the different badminton racquet hand stringing vs machine stringing?

10. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

Man I just broke three 3 strings on 3 rackets in one game. It was like a span of 6 points. All were BG 65 at 22-23 tension. When string and tension lasts longer? Broke string on Voltric 70, then Nanospeed 9900, and an old Arcsaber 002 I had. It was so embrassing! How do I avoid this or which string should I get?

11. Par17

Par17 New Member

I see all Voltric 7,8 LD are almost same so is LCW's can I say they all can have same string tension if yes how much? and what string is recommended for V8LCD

12. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Great thread, fantastic info here. Stumbled upon this thread while searching for a tension calculation formula.

On that note is anyone aware of such? I have an old racquet with a beefy looking frame and shaft but I am unaware of its manufacturers rated tension, its also an uncommon model / make. I hope to have it strung at 30 ish but wish to improve my odds against frame break incidents.

I first heard of the idea when I came accross several youtube stringing videos in which they were attempting tensions around 40lbs . Noticed one of the stringers lowering the tension by small increments as he moved further away from the middle mains and vice versa for the crosses. I

13. Nor Faizal

Nor Faizal Regular Member

yes you can.

14. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Just FYI to anyone interested,

I am currently a new owner of two Voltric DG10's both of which are strung at 34 lbs. The DG10 has tungsten grommet strips similar to the ZF2 and are holding up for the most part. As for the single hole and shared hole grommets, their holding up somewhat....

Hope this info is useful for everyone here.

15. Yadhu krishna

Yadhu krishna New Member

I bought a new racket Artengo br810
    But its recomended tension is 19-22lbs. I was using voltric force lcw and its tension was 26. So is it possible to string the Artengo br810 at 26lbs??

16. sholean

sholean Regular Member

Stringing above 28lbs should only be performed with a machine that fixes the racket at 6 positions. Below 25lbs in fact you do not need a machine. I can almost do it with bare hands and fix the string with my teeth :)

BadAtGoodminton likes this.
  17. PsyPryss

PsyPryss New Member

What about grommet sinking or the strings eating into the frame? With a new racquet string over the recommended tension and playing wth it for the first 2 restings the damage won’t be visible. I lost 2 Cab 21s @ 26lbs via sinking strings. The recommend is 22lbs. Now I use 24lbs and it’s still sinking.

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You can't go too overboard compared to the recommended maximum tensions. Also some racquets are known to have soft frames. A zf2 with over 30lbs won't be an issue for example, but anything rated 22lbs will have sinking issues if you consistently string 26-28lbs. Would recommend that grommets are turned before each restring and to replace grommets frequently.

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Have you ever seen a ZF2 with over 30 lbs? I have seen some of them sinking at lower tension at the 12 o'clock spot. High tension and thin strings is a challenge for every grommet and frame. Even with quality grommets you come with 30 easily to the border of any frame. If you restring them weekly and have proper grommet service you can be lucky but, IMO a 30 lbs job should just have a lifetime on any frame for 2 weeks. If you store such a frame in your bag for special games, the racket will get damaged.

20. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I have two ZF2 strung at 31lbs with 66um. Have had no issues.