Exclusive review of Lining 3D caliber 900i INSTINCT version

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by senthilprakash selvaraj, Aug 9, 2019.

1. senthilprakash selvaraj

senthilprakash selvaraj Regular Member

Hi All,

Has anyone used this specific 3d caliber 900i instinct model? can someone shed light on how this performs?
    i need something light and has flex and more power to it.

Currently i have TurboCharging 75D, N90IV (3D Caliber 900B) and Arcsaber Z slash and i play doubles 3hrs every day.

TurboCharging 75D - this is my goto racket strug with BG80@26lbs - this racket is swift but it lacks power when we do back court to back court clears and smashes. need to exert more power from body to generate long clear.
    But still this is my go to racket for now.

Arcsaber Z Slash - strung with BG80@26lbs, this is a power house racket, smashes and clears are effort less with this one. even thou this is 3U version its swift and maneuver and flexible than Turbocharging 75D. maybe this flex creates that extra PUNCH in this racket. but its slow compared to my 75D. PRODUCTION OF THIS RACKET STOPPED BY YONEX sadly.

N90IV (now its called 3D caliber 900B - BOOST) - well this is a 3U category racket, loads of power for forehand and backhand clears - but i feel its bit heavy for my arms and my arms tends to pain. - its a very good power house racket for fit players (its just not for me) - Planning to sell this off shortly.

On one of the websites i saw a review of 900i - Instinct - and the reviewer has loads of praise for this racket. can someone who owns the racket please help us out here?

Help will be much appreciated.

tetra likes this.
  2. senthilprakash selvaraj

Ok, for past 3 weeks i have been playing with 3d caliber 900i. I must say undoubtedly this will be my go to racket henceforth.
    This is a head heavy (79gms) racket which is very quick in response and the power it carries is beyond compare.

Over head clears are effortless and smashes are steep (may be because its whippy and head heavy). - felt a bit similar or better to than my aging arcsaber Z slash :).

before this i was using turbocharging 75D which is a good racket but need to put little extra effort to generate power since it being stiffer compared to 900i.

I would highly recommend everyone to try this racket before making a purchase decision.

ShinIori and Dhandapani like this.
  3. Dhandapani

Dhandapani Regular Member

Compare lining Aeronaut 7000i or lining 900i ?
    Which is best ?

4. senthilprakash selvaraj

I have not used aeronaut series, but looking at spec 71 to 79gm with head heavy should be a interesting racket. but i would really suggest you to try both before finalizing.

Dhandapani likes this.
  5. Dhandapani

Dhandapani Regular Member

Thanks bro

6. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Can u give an extended feedback or reviews about your previous racket turbocharging 75D ?

7. senthilprakash selvaraj

75D is one of my go to rackets even now, i still use this one equally and shuffle between 75D and 900i :).

Its one of amazing rackets i ever used. you can buy this racket - you will not go wrong.
    The control with this racket is amazing as this is a light weight and stiff. you can generate good power in smashes if your technique is good.

75D is nothing but old N9II (lighter version). if you are a doubles player you can go ahead and get this one.
    3D caliber 900i has slightly bit more power because its more flexible, and because of this accuracy is bit difficult, but with 75D its very easy to be accurate and precise.

If you are a doubles player, better go for turbocharging series rackets. and if you want the racket to be bit more heavy check 75EX version as well.

-senthilprakash

tetra likes this.
  8. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Thanks I have tried the n9ii tontowi version but just that I am not able to generate the quick swing and will have to smash only when I have time. Btw, n9ii is not quick for multiple smash returns. I am currently using TC08c which is pretty basic version and I just love TC08c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Baddyboy9

Baddyboy9 New Member

Hi Senthil...can you please give me some details about the control at the net with the 900i as I am planning to buy one soon to replace my nanoray 900 3u (grey version) for doubles...thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

my friend bought 3d 900i yesterday and I had a chance to try it out (FYI, my go-to is 3d 900b).
    so here my opinion
    1. 900b (boost) is not a head heavy racket or boderline between medium and heavy so to me it is not that hard to use. To be honest, it is easier to play with it than my astrox 88s 3u
    2. 900i (instint) for me is too light (iirc 5u). Of course, it is easier to play with because of lighter weight. However, some power shots eg. hard smash, hard drive requied more power to make it effective. To me, a lighter overall or lighter head racket need more wrist and complete full swing to make the shuttle go downward while a more head heavy racket less technique is needed (again, it is just my preference).

so 900i to 900b in my double game
    ease I>B
    speed I>B
    net depends more on technique so I=B
    clear I~B (I is easier to hit in any situation but B will be easier to clear backcourt to backcourt because the mass of 3u will help you generate power)
    lift (return of backcourt drop, slice or defense position to net lift) I>B
    general lift and smash return(lift) I=B
    smash return(net, underhand backhand) I>B
    smash return(forehand counter) I<B
    drive I<B (I prefer more shuttle speed and power)
    drop, slice I=B
    smash I<B
    change of pace (fast drive to net, continuous smash to deceptive drop) I>B

feel free to ask

pootisfoib likes this.
  11. Baddyboy9

Baddyboy9 New Member

Thanks for the insight....so basically you feel that it lacks power when it come to clears from baseline to baseline...and also when it comes to smashes....is 900b I guess is medium stiff and even balanced isn't it? How good is it with regards to accuracy? Do the shots fall where you intend it to fall? Have you tried any other lining rackets from the aeronaut 9000 series..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

12. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

- yes, I prefer heavier racket .
    - balance point in spec is 292mm
    - spec is medium flex
    - generally, accuracy is quite good. Shots go to where I want, not the exact position but not that far off. I also have 88s 3u and 88s>900b in placement and accuracy imo. I do a lot of delayed shot and a last-second-direction-changing shots for deceptive effect and the shots still have good enough quality fyi.
    - never any aeronaut series yet. only n7II, n9II and 900b(n90iv).

tetra likes this.
  13. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

anyone tried 900 combat? how it compares to instinct?

14. senthilprakash selvaraj

Guys, my default racket for now is 3d caliber 900i and i sold my 900B as it was heavy for me.
    Aeronaut 7000i and 3d caliber 900i both would be in similar in nature.

Also one of my friend used a Turbo Charging 75 i (Instinct) and he had loads of praise for it. especially on how powerful the smashes are with the racket (he mentioned that smashes are better when compared to 3d caliber 900i)- have not tried it personally yet.

One of my friend is getting Tectonic 7 in few days, will try and post the review.

tetra, ShinIori and BalajiSethuraman like this.
  15. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

I thought you preferred Tc 75

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

16. senthilprakash selvaraj

haha, Yes specifically i use 3D caliber 900i and TC 75 Drive version :) :) these are my go to/ (well only rackets) I have now currently.

Now last entire week i had a go at tectonic 7 (one with orange color on top). strung with Lining No:1 BOOST (made in japan string) @28lbs.
    PS: for some reason my friend and i did not like the string (lining No1 BOOST) - i use aerobyte BOOST on my both 900i and TC75D).

Tectonic 7 - This is rated at 84gms but i must say it felt as quick as my 75D and 900i. it was a fun and very quick racket to play with.

Now in smashing category i still felt my 900i had to give me more power than tectonic 7. This may be because 900i is more head heavy and flexible than Tectonic 7. But may be because of this high flex 900i is bit tough to be precise, many a times i felt i was going wrong when i was trying to deliver back court on side line returns.

Smashing power: 900i > Tectonic 7 > TC 75D.

Guys i am just a beginner to intermediate player - the reason i could not generate more power might be purely because of my technique. so please do try the racket your self once.

Flex Rating: the flex of tectonic 7 is more than tectonic 7 D. i haven't tried 7D but tectonic 7 felt quite flexible and very quick.

Per lining catalog: 900i flex is 8.7 and tectonic 7 flex is rated 8.5 and for comparison tectonic 7d is rated at 8.3 and TC75D rated at 8.1.
    So in terms of flex: 900i > Tectonic7 > Tectonic 7D > TC75D

Control - in this department Tectonic 7 excelled and i could control the shuttle better than with my 900i. - Tectonic 7 is as well head heavy with medium flex racket. and this has a very good feel to it.

Back court Clears - Clears are very good and its easy to clear the shuttle from back court, it did have a punch to it but i felt 900i had more punch than Tectonic 7 (feel may be different to others).

Overall, anyone planning to purchase a high end racket from li-ning try out Tectonic 7 it feels better than tectonic 7D in hand.

Rackets to try for doubles (li-ning high end) by my preference:

1. 3d Caliber 900i (Head heavy, high flex)
    2. Tectonic 7 (Head heavy, medium flex)
    3. Turbo charging 75i (Head Heavy, medium flex)
    4. Aerounaut 7000i (head heavy, (light weight), medium flex)
    5. Turbo Charging 75D (Medium Head heavy, medium stiff)
    6. 3d caliber 900B (Little head heavy, Medium flex)

If you see, i prefer Instinct version of li-ning rackets - head heavy light weight and has flex to them.

PS: I heard a lot of good things about TC 75 (Instinct version) - especially on smash speed and control it could generate. but i have not got my hands on it YET :) :) :).

If one is considering a li-ning top end racket - please do not go by my reviews - feel and performance of a racket depends on a players skill and fitness level. I am just a crazy guy who likes to go in-depth specs of a racket and try them out :) - crazy me - yeah i know, you are not the first person to tell me.

Beginners: Do not go by general notion that stiff rackets will suite you better, your technique and fitness should be good to generate power from a stiff racket.
    Go for a racket which is user friendly (have bit flex on them and light weight - dont spend money on high end rackets). A sensible guidance would be to go for a cheap and good racket like APACS Z Ziggler II,Yonex Arcsaber Tour 1000, Blend duo 88 which just costs a fraction of what these lining top end will cost (or any other cheap racket which feels right to you - just borrow from others in your club and test them yourself).
    Save money and spend on your shoes. its a wiser choice :).

#16 senthilprakash selvaraj, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. senthilprakash selvaraj

Very heavy, Go for it only if you are a strong singles player.
    Check out Tectonic 7 or 3D caliber 900B or TC75EX (used by Kidambi srkanth) you may like them as well.

18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You should post your Tectonic 7 in a thread where it will be more visible for others like 'Lining Rackets fan club', as your are one of the first ones to review it.

Srikanth uses TC75C.

tetra likes this.
  19. senthilprakash selvaraj

Hello,
    Yesterday I got my hands on aeronaut 7000i for the first time. Played 2 sessions with it.
    Though on specs it's given 79gms with insane balance point of 322.
    This felt like a very head heavy 3U racket and I found it difficult to play with.

I use 3d caliber 900i and tectonic 7 and compared to these two 7000i felt very head heavy for me.

Again it's my personal opinion. Plz try for yourself once.

20. Yves-bzh-29

Yves-bzh-29 Regular Member

@senthilprakash selvaraj, i have Lining 3D caliber 900i since few days. I think that the specs of the racket is ok, soft and very head heavy. But the first thing I notice when I hit the shuttle is how the racket have a feeling of hardness probably (?) linked to the quality of the materials used and also a very crisp shot. I never have this feeling with my others rackets . Do you have this kind of feeling with the 900i or the tectonic 7 ?