Ewe Hock: I'm the better man

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by whizkelv, Jun 24, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Tue, 24 Jun 2003

» Malay Mail

Sport: Badminton/World Championships: Ewe Hock: I'm the better man
    Graig Nunis

ONG EWE HOCK is crying foul over Roslin Hashim's selection to the World Championships next month.

The 31-year-old Ewe Hock, who had a fall out with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) late last year and is now an independent player, feels he is the better candidate to be Malaysia's fourth representative as he is ranked 12th in the world compared to Roslin who is 14 notches below him.

Roslin is the latest national men's singles player to be given the nod and he will join Wong Choong Hann, Hafiz Hashim and Lee Tsuen Seng in Birmingham, England.

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) yesterday announced their fourth list of qualifiers and instead of limiting each country to just three shuttlers each, have now paved the way for them to have four players.

Besides Malaysia, the other nations to have four players are China, Indonesia and Denmark.

"I may no longer be in the BAM stable but based on the world rankings, I am the second highest ranked Malaysia after Choong Hann," said Ewe Hock, who was handed a three-month suspension in November for criticising the BAM.

"Shouldn't that have been the criterion used for the World Championships? I kept quiet earlier when my name was not in the list but Roslin's selection is the last straw." Ewe Hock said that Indonesia's Marleve Mainaky, who had announced he will be retiring soon, has been chosen by Indonesia for the World Championships.

"The Indonesian federation wanted to pick someone younger in Marleve's place but he refused to stand aside," pointed out Ewe Hock.

"If Indonesia respects the world rankings, why not Malaysia? "BAM can't say they want to give a youngster a chance as Roslin is 27 years old.

"If sending youngsters was a reason, then they might as well send a 12-year-old. That will certainly be good exposure for the kid." Ewe Hock said that he believed national coach Misbun Sidek is behind the move to include Roslin as the latter is Misbun's protege.

"I believe Misbun is responsible. He does not want me to play in the World Championships and is abusing his power to include Roslin," said Ewe Hock, who left BAM as he felt Misbun was the wrong choice to replace Indra Gunawan as the national coach.

"I am devastated. This would have been my last World Championships.

"Instead of being involved, I now have to sit on the sidelines watching players ranked below me compete." Based on the world rankings, Choong Hann is the highest Malaysian at No 6, followed by Ewe Hock (12), Lee Tsuen Seng (16) while Hafiz is 42.

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

What an odd situation!
    OEH is the only top 16 player in the qualification list who did not get to play in WC apart from Chen Yu (who was actually Chinese no 5).
    Anyway, BAM has the final say.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Both of them should slug it out on court over 3 different days in 3 different venues. The guy who wins get to go to birmingham.
    Roslin seems to be playing well lately. However, with the number of times he has failed to deliver, my preference is Ong.

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Who's the best man

Sending Roslin or Ong Ewe Hock is not going to win any medal for Malaysia as these two heve proven they're the world class players but not good enough to win the major events. However, they can certainly play as spoiling role. I am sure Chen Hong and Peter Gade will not eager to meet Roslin and Xia and Jonassen are not thrill to meet Ong either. We can say the same thing about Yong Hock Kin, why not select him as he's still rank pretty high and he can certain strike fear into Wong Choon Hann's mind, his own countryman :)
    Whatever, I think picking Roslin is the right choice as he was the previous #1 WC2001 and is in better form than Ong and Yong? The fair and square method is to have these 3 amigos to duel in court and the winner go, but then the world is never fair and square.

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Maybe different countries have different system. Look at Denmark, Denmark would have sent Peter Gade to WC right at the beginning instead of Peter waiting for the wild card. Too bad Ewe Hock is not from Denmark.

6. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but OEH has been famous (well, at least in Indonesia and surrounding) for his arrogance. I saw another one of his arrogancy in the article. I used to like him in the first place, but after looking at his attitude how he handled the reporters, his coach, and his mates I started putting him aside.

However, no offence for those who dont think the same way with me. It's totally a personal opinion of mine.