Eva --> crazy journalist :D

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Chesire Cat, May 21, 2004.

1. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    news about chaerul

[font=Helvetica, Arial]Chaerul says he is ready to quit PBSI[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica]Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta

The chairman of the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI), Chairul Tanjung, who is under fire over what is seen as the deterioration of the national program, said here on Wednesday he was prepared to resign his post.

However, he said that he would step down only after the association had found an acceptable replacement for him.

"I will not quit today. I asked them to look for my replacement. If they find a replacement and the candidate is approved by the provincial chapters, we will hold an extraordinary meeting at which I will declare my resignation," Chairul said after a meeting here.

The meeting, which was attended by PBSI officials as well as former national players, was called in the wake of mounting calls for Chairul's resignation because of mismanagement.

While the association is looking for his replacement, Chairul said he would remain at his post until after the 2004 Olympic Games in August.

He said the main reason for his decision to resign was that he wanted to spare the association from any conflicts.

"I do not want the PBSI to split into two conflicting sides, one in support of me continuing my chairmanship and the other against my chairmanship," Chairul said.

He said he would have quit his post as early as last month, after Indonesia failed to win the Thomas and Uber Cups, but had been asked by the association's advisory board to delay his departure.

It appears, however, that he will not be able to delay his resignation much longer as the calls for his departure mount. "But I cannot abandon the PBSI just yet because I have responsibility for the association. Who is going to pay the officials' salaries if I resign right now?" Earlier, the head of the Jakarta chapter of the badminton association, Icuk Sugiarto, along with 24 other regional heads, called for Chairul to resign, saying that he had failed to meet his promise to channel money to provincial chapters for development programs.
    [/font]

2. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    pbsi

It would be interesting if you could elaborate on more specific things that are a mess/wrong within the PBSI. Any specific criticism or just the 'lack of results for INA'?

3. Chesire Cat

Pbsi

hello zax

yes my article was not that clear and informative huh? yeah sorry because there was a lack of space and i couldn't write everything down. but basically the regional offices complained that PBSI couldn't supply the promised funds. for example -- the regional offices have to pay the regional athletes expenses to join the Asian Junior Championship next July although PBSI (main office) has quite a lot of money.

regional offices are also felt abandoned because the main office hardly care about their faciilty, equipment and trainings. stuff like that.
    any questions?

4. Zax

Zax Regular Member

pbsi

Hello Chesire Cat ;)

No criticism for your articles, they are good; I was just wondering whether you know more inside details (perhaps you can send PM).

I'm hearing from more sides (not only the regional offices) that it's a mess in the PBSI. It would be interested to write an in depth article about the problems and possible solutions that could get Indonesian badminton back on the right track...

#64 Zax, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. and if it is too long, BC/BF will publish it for you.

6. Chesire Cat

hello

hello kwun and zax

there are alot of problems inside PBSI like the main office abandons the regional offices by cutting the fund and tell those offices to use their own money to send shuttlers to tournaments abroad.

i also heard that chaerul, as the chairman often made terrible decisions which benefit only the main office and did not allow junior players to compete in tournament abroads claiming that they did not haev enough time to take care of those players.

well there were lots of problems like that

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It looks like PBSI's problem is more about a lack of funds. There are so many mouths to feed-regional offices and HQ-that the logistics of just managing the funds become a nightmare. It might be hell of a good idea if the regional offices were to start fending for themselves and get fundings from their own region. I am sure a region such as Sumatra can raise their own funds. What is so wrong about catching your own fish instead of waiting for the slow boat from Jakarta?

8. Chesire Cat

funds

hello

lack of funds has been a major problem in indonesia, not only in badminton or sports. we are simply a poor country and when it comes to funds, it's getting harder to find money. PBSI's main office (national training center) got all the funds they need cos they have world class athletes in their training center and they won lots of championships. but regional athletes are not that good and whenever they haev good athletes, the main office always take them for the national training center and leave the regional office with nothing.

actually the regional offices expected that chaerul would solve this problem when they elected him as a chairman back then since he's a very wealthy businessman and he promised to find some money for PBSI but nothing happened ever since. that's the short version of the story

9. Zax

Zax Regular Member

Hi Eva - can you tell us more?
    What about the players? The conflicts between them and the PBSI? What about older players like Hendrawan?

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe Chaerul is not that rich after all, as he was not able to deliver the promised funds. What now? Will the regional offices elect a richer man this time? This will not solve the problem. Why don't the regional offices use corporate sponsorship to be self-sustaining?

11. Chesire Cat

hello

oh chaerul is a very rich man, he owns a private bank and a private tv station here (trans tv) LOL i dunno why he didn't deliver his promises but now people start to discuss about whether they should elect another businessman as PBSI chairman or other sports orgaization chairman because businessmen might have lots of money but they don't really "know" the sports and how the organization works.

12. Chesire Cat

MEEE!! in thomas cup! LOL

hello!!

this is me and zakki my friend at the thomas cup LOL
    so did any of you, who went to jakarta last may, recognise me? LOL

Attached Files:

• tho1.jpg
      tho1.jpg
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Chesire Cat

article

Simon opts to prepare for tour of European
    Friday, June 25, 2004
    Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta

Young shuttler Simon Santoso, whose performance failed to enable the national team to retain the Thomas Cup at the recent championship, is not among the Indonesian squad to the Malaysia Open, which starts on June 29.

The 19-year-old has opted to take up an intensive training regime for several tournaments in Europe later this year.

According to Simon's coach, Joko Supriyanto, his prot‚g‚ would need to improve his skills and mentality, especially after being defeated in a decisive tie with Denmark in the semifinal stage of the Thomas Cup in Jakarta in May.

Simon lost to Peter Rasmussen to hand Denmark a 3-2 win and a final ticket against eventual champion China.

"I really want him to be ready and fully prepared for the upcoming tournaments later this year.

"If I sent him to take part in the Malaysia Open it would mean he would have to halt his training and start all over again after the event," Joko told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.

According to Joko, Simon will wrap up three months of intensive training, after which he will travel to Europe to enter several tournaments, including the Belgium Open and Denmark Open.

Apart from Simon, Eng Hian will be absent from the Malaysian Open too, leaving Flandy Limpele in a makeshift partnership with Candra Wijaya.

Eng Hian said that he wanted to take some rest before the Olympic Games, where he will be teamed up with Flandy.

Other Indonesian doubles for the Malaysian tour include Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto and Sigit Budiarto/Tri Kusharjanto.

"I need a break before the Olympic Games in August, while Flandy feels he needs to play continuously before a big event like that," he said.

World No. 9 Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat will be Indonesian hopes in the men's singles along with female compatriots Silvi Antarini, Maria Kristin and Adrianti Firdasari.

Jo Novita/Lita Nurlita are the only women's pair while the mixed contenders comprise Nova Widianto/Vita Marissa and Anggun Nugroho/Eny Widiowati.

14. Chesire Cat

another one

Olympic qualifiers exit Jakarta Open
    Sunday, June 27, 2004
    Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta

Daniel Shirley and Sara Runesten-Petersen, who will represent New Zealand in the badminton competition at the Olympic Games, lost to Unang and Angeline of Indonesia in the quarterfinal mixed doubles match at the Jakarta Open here on Saturday.

The Kiwi pair won the first game at 15-12 but seemingly lost their focus in the rest of the game with error-prone play on the net.

They were beaten 14-17, 7-15 in the remaining two games.

"It was very disappointing because we won the first game and we were already leading by a match point in the second game but we lost the game," Petersen said.

"I got tired, I wasn't moving much during the game, we did not play positive and we lost our confidence. It's a different condition (playing here) and the players have a different style," she said.

Shirley and Petersen said that their participation at the Jakarta Open was part of their preparation for the 2004 Malaysia Open to be held in Kuantan, Pahang starting on June 29.

"It's annoying that we lost just before the Malaysian Open but I think it's a good chance for us to learn more from our experience," Petersen said.

New Zealand was one of four foreign countries taking part in the Rp 30 million tournament, which featured around 1,000 players. The other three are Malaysia, Singapore and Switzerland.

The tournament, which has four age categories, enters the semifinals and finals on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Indonesian star Taufik Hidayat is to play against Lok Chong Chieh of Malaysia while Sony Dwi Kuncoro will have to wait for a qualifier in the opening matches of the Malaysian Open, which begins June 29 in Kuala Lumpur.

In the doubles, Sigit Budiarto and Tri Kusharjanto will be challenged by Sudket Prapakamol and Patapol Ngernrisuk of Thailand.

Flandy Limpele and Candra Wijaya will team up to face a tough match against Malaysian pair Choong Tan Fuk and Lee Wan Wah. Eng Hian, Flandy's regular partner decided to skip the tournament.

The other Indonesian pair Luluk Hadiyanto and Alvent Yulianto will play against Gan Taik Chai and Koo Kien Keat of Malaysia.

Indonesia is fielding 17 players in five events in the Malaysian Open, which will be their last warmup tournament before the Olympic Games in Athens in August.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hi Eva,

Could you post future articles in the tournament forum? I think your pieces are noteworthy and would be more appreciated if it's in the relevent area. Not many BF'ers frequent the introduction section so less people would come across it, and also some of your articles has been posted twice already... one in your intro thread by you and another in the tournament forum by other BF'ers.

So please start a new thread in the tourney news forum whenever you got an article hot off the press:). Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Ming

#75 cappy75, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  16. Chesire Cat

here i am again

hiya

sorry if i disappeared in the last few weeks and hardly got online at the forum but here i am, back again!!!

:D

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    more like months but who's counting ;)

18. Chesire Cat

sad news

well guys...and girls

i will be probably transferred to another desk in november (not sports anymore) and that how it goes in here. i was a business journalist and became a political journalist, metro journalist and ended up in sports desk...but it's my time to move on (sounds like i am about to die LOL) but i will try to keep u informed anything about badminton in indonesia

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    to a celebrity journalist :confused: :)

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Good Luck on your next assignment. I wonder how long it has taken you to play musical chairs, but I'm sure your boss must have better things for you.

We will certainly miss you and Indonesian badminton news 'hot' from the press but hope you will find ways to 'feed' us our daily dosage of baddy 'opium'. As you know we are all addicts.

Best wishes on your new job! :)