European Team Championships

Discussion in 'Continental Badminton Championships 2004' started by seven, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:D

2. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Buisness as usual?

In the team event I think England has an ok chance to beat Denmark in XD and MD, Holland has a good chance in WD and WS. The logical outcome is Denmark as the champions.

In the individual event it will be more difficult for the Danes... They last four European Championships Denmark have won at least 4 of the 5 individual titles, this time around I think that may change.

MS: Peter Gade
    WS: Mia Audina
    MD: Paaske/Rasmussen
    WD: Mia/Lotte
    XD: Robertson/Emms

Only 2 out of 5? Hey, something is wrong here! :eek:
    But then again Denmark has a pretty good chance in both WD and XD, so maybe they will win 4 titles again, only time will tell.

Apart from this I would like to complain about the abysmal first round draw Kenneth and Anders have in MS :confused:
    Kenneth is seeded first and Anders third so you would think they should get some completely nonames in at least the first round, but no. Kenneth will meet Irwansyah from Wales, and I have heard his name before unlike many of the other players :rolleyes: Even worse Anders will meet Ghaffar from England who beat none other than Bao Chun Lai in this years All England!
    Not fair :p

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Personally I think Jonassen has got a tougher draw playing Irwansyah. Not that I dont believe in Ghaffar, but Boessen is a fighter, who always gives his best, and his second best is better than ghaffars best (and we dont see that very often).

But good luck to both of them.

4. Gade supporter

Well even if they both got a bad draw they cant beat Gade. Jonassen is also struggeling with an injury, and Boesen has never defeated Gade. Maybe Palyama is the man to look after, but then again Gade is the best and therefore my vote goes to him.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Of course I agree, no european player is remotley close to Gade at the moment, or likely to be in the near future. (although I cant help thinking your name may make you slightly biased in opinion)

Am sure it matters to Jonassen and Boessen however (and ghaffar/irwansyah) that they get as far as they can. It wouldnt be much of a tournament if everyone thought, oh it doesnt matter if you get through, gade will win anyway.

But despite recognition he is the best, he still has to win. Could you briefly tell me what ranking events he has won this year?

6. Gade supporter

haha

You are right he hasnt won anything. I will tell you why. I see that there is 2 players Gade just cant beat at the moment Wong and Lin. Gade always wins the first set and then he loses the next 2. I think Gade can beat the other players not easily but has not lost to any other in a long time

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Why do you think that is (not wanting to diverge the thread) I saw It cant be just due to fitness, as He has played much longer games against roslin and CH for example.

To be honest I think it is purely mental, that he knows these are two players who are the best. He knows against CH he has 7-1 record. He knows against bao that bao is weaker mentally than him. against taufik he can just beat him at the net, then he can win against xia, as he knows he is not the force as in WC.

-The roslin game (AE) showed that it wasnt mental strength in playing (IE coinfidence in his strokes) as he was really looking a spent force agianst him, tired, and roslin had him. But roslin made a few crucial errors, and he got himself there.

IMO it is more of a mental thing against the players that are recognised as the best.

8. Gade supporter

James look at the All England final. Gade won the first set, but lost stamina, because of all the hard matches he had been playing. Lin Dan had a much more easier way into the final. Then Korea open, Gade won first set against Wong, but lost the others, because he had a harder way , he had played Shon Seung Mo, the game lasted 3 sets. Japan open, Gade played one more match then Lin, and played Agus Hariyanto in 3 sets, and then Xia, then Lin Dan where he won the first set and was leading 8-1, that is what i call losing stamina i would like to see Lin vs. Gade in the first round, then the result might be different.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So why didnt he lose to Roslin in the third game(QF) when he had had a tough match (three sets) against CH the previous day(3R), then after he had easy game against Taufik the day after (SF), did he lose to lin dan.

You said yourself that the only players he has lost to has been lin and wong.

10. Gade supporter

I dont think Gade has a mental problem and he said to his own website. That if he had more stamina he think he could have beaten Lin.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Therein lies the problem : stamina and a losing battle against his biological clock to improve his stamina. Lets face it, he is fighting battles against very good players who are newer, younger, fitter, and more numerous in numbers than ever. Now each of the top countries has at least 3 players who are no longer easy pickings. The same applies to Roslin and Wong CH.

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Dissappointing to see England and Wales both fielding weak teams in todays matches. Thye would be among the first to complain when China throw matches yet rest all their A players on the final day of the team event, might as well just concede the matches or tell the players to lose 15-0 if they are only interested in the individuals...

13. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

BUT.. Go Denmark.. Go Denmark.. Go Denmark..

14. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Finally both England and Netherlands presented a "B" team against Denmark!

Maybe this is because their main objective is the individual event so they prefer resting their best players rather than aiming for the team victory?...

Anyway this is obviously bad for the quality of the team event!... :(

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  16. Gade supporter

I dont think it is because they focussing more on the team event. I think they now they cant beat Denmark, the only player who had a chance was Mia Audina against Camilla, but if the teams wont play with their best players why hold the team tournament then:confused:

17. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    The Dutch may have no chance in Mixed double and Men's double. But it's possible to gain 3 points from female single, double and men single. The red hot Mia Audina should beat Camilla Martin who is recovering from injury. The women's double teams are quite even. And based on Dicky Palyama's recent performance, he should be able to give Peter Gade a good match or even an upset. Too bad, they just gave up.

18. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Yes, really disappointing the teams Holland and England fielded against Denmark :mad:

Their chances would have been slim at best even if they fielded their best players, but they should at least have tried! Holland was the most disappointing of the two since they were in the final and had nothing to lose. I can better understand England wanting to rest their best players so as to win the fight for the 3. place (failed in that too). And as the Danish national coach Steen Pedersen said: "I understand why England did it. We would win 19 times out of 20 whatever side he picked ... and perhaps even the other time too.".

Some said England and Holland wanted to rest their best players for the individual event where there is Olympic points at stake. The Danish players would like to get some of these points as well, but still Denmark fielded the best players both in the semifinal and the final, as it should be...

19. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Dicky Palyama hadnt beaten chen hong,he just beat baochunlai in korea open! :)

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Youre right seawell, that was my misinformaion he mis mis quoted!! :D

Sorry gadesupporter/seawell.

He did take him to three in all england though, didnt he?