Eriksen: No way a Malaysian pair can win the world title

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by ants, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheSTar Sept 19th

MALAYSIA feel that their men's doubles pairs – Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat and Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari-Lin Woon Fui – stand a chance to win the world title.

But veteran Dane Jens Eriksen says “no way”. The 36-year-old Eriksen, who is searching for his first world title together with Martin Lungaard Hansen, sees only two pairs who are up to the mark to claim the title.

“I feel that Martin and I stand a very good chance to go all the way. Age is not a factor and we believe that we are in top condition at the moment,” said Eriksen.

“I only see the top seeds, Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng (of China), as the pair who are capable of stopping us from winning our first world title.”

He added that similar to the Malaysians, the Indonesian pairs were also not good enough to win the title.

The Indonesian pairs in the fray are Hong Kong Open champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan and Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto.

Eriksen's and Hansen's hopes of clinching their first world title are also boosted by the latter's recovery from a recent knee injury.

“Martin has recovered fully and he is no longer bothered by injury. He has been testing the knee in training and it is holding up well,” said Eriksen.

The Danes, who won the All-England and European Championships titles this year, are the third-fourth seeds and they are drawn to play against Chong Ming-Kien Keat in the quarter-finals. The Chinese top seeds are in the same half of the draw.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    What about if Lin Dan team up with Lee CW to play men's doubles? Or Lin Dan/Bao CL for a pure CHN pair?

Once upon a time, long time best singles players Lee Ling Wei and Han Ai Ping decided to play doubles together, then they were invincible in doubles also. So any double players should not claim they are the best, because the real best are playing singles...

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

That's a bit of a slap to all doubles players of any levels, isn't it? Basically, you're saying that they're all singles rejects and that the only reason they play doubles is because they can't make it in singles.

Anyhow, back on topic, while only time will tell whether or not Eriksen's prediction will turn out favourably or not, I think they'll do well to remember the lesson of last year's WC. IIRC, they started as the #1 seed then only to lose to the favourite home pair.

#3 Quasimodo, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think it's mind games. The Danes (especially Jens) are good at that.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Older should be wiser

Malaysia and Indoensia should thank Eriksen for that, his statement should inject extra enegy to his opponents, Eriksen better win else he will find his words hard to swallow. I am sure every team like to meet Malaysia in the final as we have yet to proof that we can win in that stage but meeting Malaysian pair in QF or SF is no fun.

6. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

Trying to bring down the morale of Malaysian players when they meet each other.

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed. I personally don't think the Danish pair will win it..because of the recent injury to Lundgaard-Hansen. If Choong/Lee can beat Kido/Hendra in the round of 16, they will have a very good chance.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks, Eriksen

Agree. Eriksen's using the wrong psychology. Belittling the MAS MD will only get them fired up.Malaysians are like that. They are quite happy chatting away until they hear their house is on fire! Now I wonder if CTF/LWW will play like bungling old fools......As for CCM/KKK, they won't win unless KKK let go of the XD.(Sure Rexy is confident KKK has two tanks, based on their intensive training lasting 4 hours. But training is different from competition. You have to think a lot more when competing and that burns up a lot of energy. Which means one of KKK's tanks will be leaking....And when it comes to the final stage,when winning could be by a whisker,being just a little bit fresher may be the winning edge.When fatigue sets in ,errors pile up and with the NSS, you lose a match because you make more errors.)
    So ,MAS, be wise, let KKK /WPT lose the XD. Pls give your Singapore cousin a break. They need it. Fight the war that matters.

9. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I think Eriksen should not be too objective towards this matter...He is simply too confidence to himself and his partner...Don't forget this,there are no sure win or lose in the competition..I personally think that the level of MD is very near and any pair has the chance to win...So,just wait and see if the Danes pair will become the winner...But my heart tell me the winner is not them...Ha..ha...

10. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    :D :D :D must be unbeatable then...:cool:

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Quick comment..

hmm, just want to make a comment as you brought some memories to last yr's WC...IMO, eventhough it takes 2 to tango in Men's Doubles, i think whichever pair(s) has/have the "best" remaining doubles player(s), to be specific Men's Doubles, that pair(s) will have a very high chance of going far & winning the title this yr...Just like last yr and in 2003 or even earlier..
    So, on that note, can anyone possibly single or filter out that 1 or 2 or 3 "best" current doubles players in the tourney??..:confused: ;)

#11 ctjcad, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  12. kobe77sg

kobe77sg Regular Member

Eriksen is too arogan . maybe he forgot that luluk/alven has beaten them before. And he also underestimate the malaysian and indonesian pair. Maybe he forgot the head to head below
    vs luluk/alven 2-3
    vs markis/hendra 1-1
    It is true that he has better head to head agains malaysian MD
    vs lee/chong 4-2
    vs chan/koo 2-0

13. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    erm...the last meeting between CCM/KKK and eriksen/lungaard ended in malaysian's favour....T/U Cup....

14. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya..KKK/CCM did win over them what...

15. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

And not forgetting two of their wins against choong & lee are during the all-england finals when they blew a huge lead away when they should have win it !

16. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

So true, meeting malaysian in all stages other than final will be scary. As for malaysians in the final, oh well they will end up in silver medal, even the opponent is relatively weaker.

17. milolo

milolo Regular Member

malaysian pairs tend to falter at the final of big tournament. they need to improve their mental toughness, thou they showed great improvemnt under rexy now. not surprise if they fail at the SF stage.
    Eriksen had a point here.

18. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    ahahah.. LCW+LD=unbeatable? .. or they'll be beating each other!? :p

19. arice_MAS

arice_MAS Regular Member

student
    i think they'll be beating each other..haha

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That was twenty years ago!!!:eek:

The last player to really have played singles and doubles competitvely was Park Joo Bong. Even then, he didn't play both at the same time. Zhang Ning did so a little bit. She played with Ge Fei when Gu Jun was inhured.

#20 Cheung, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006