England county: cheating on the line

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For the England guys, what happens when the shuttle lands on the line and the player calls it out on their side of the court?

I get that it might happen occasionally but certain players do it ‘regularly’ earning them a reputation.

When it happens in junior county tournaments, it leaves a bad taste when we try to teach fair play and due reward to juniors for their hard work.

What is the official process from Badminton England (if any) to reduce these incidents, particularly for the junior tournaments?

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

I don't know it from the highest level, but in the divisions I play at in league play;

• In or out calls fall to the person nearest the shuttle and their partner
    • If neither side agree if a shot is in or out, then play a "let"
    Unfortunately, it's not an easy thing to change for those types of players.

A match I played in a few years ago had the OPPONENT calling a shot in and that really got my goat. They did a smash from quite far back, aiming around the tramlines and yelled "in". There was almost no way they could have had a good view of where the shuttle was landing compared to my team.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Its all come back to person mentality.
    Some player just want to win & do anything to achieve that. Even on my club there are some who did thing like that. Saying out when its in & still dare to argue when some other player who sat near it (not playing) say its in. Or when im partnered with him, i know its in yet he just yell out loud saying its out, but when i said its in & give the shuttle away, he just look at me with some winking wierd code like telling me to agree with him.

1 thing maybe, just make sure everyone know what it mean in or out (the rule). 1 funny experience i had was a friend who think the call made after the shuttle stop, not the 1st contact. So if its in & then bounce out, he think its out. Its just 1 of many player i know but well... It could happen to anyone i guest, so nothing wrong to makes it clear.

4. scamp

scamp Regular Member

Some people are just cheats. I played in one league where a pair were known to call out when a shuttle landed close to the line. Best place a team player near the cheats end to monitor them and then they're less likely to make outrageous calls. Other than that, if you've no scruples, do the same to them. When their shot are in and called out they'll soon get the message.