elite back up/back up player 2010

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by limsy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

WC onwards or before WC? ;) But they lost to Boe/Mogensen in WC... :eek:

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday September 17, 2010
    Young pairs stun seeded rivals to move into last eight
    By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: National back-up coach Tan Kim Her wore a big smile yesterday.
    Two of the country’s future pairs - Teo Kok Siang-Goh Wei Shem and Chan Peng Soon-Lim Khim Wah - made heads turn in the second round of the China Masters in Changzhou when they dumped seeded and experienced players to reach the men’s doubles quarter-finals.
    The unseeded Kok Siang-Wei Shem exacted sweet revenge by beating rising stars and top seeds Fang Chieh-min-Lee Sheng-mu with an impressive 21-9, 21-19 win in just 27 minutes.
    The Malaysians had lost to the Taiwanese at the Macau Open last month. Chieh-min-Sheng-mu were the hot favourites to make their mark in the tournament after having won the back-to-back Super Series in Singapore and Indonesia in June.
    Malaysia’s second back-up pair of Peng Soon-Khim Wah, however, had to stay longer on court. They battled for 71 minutes before breaking the resolve of the local favourites and eighth seeds Chai Biao-Zhang Nan 21-14, 18-21, 22-20.

Both the Malaysian pairs will take on each other in the last eight, thus assuring one place for the country in the semi-finals.
    Veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah also shared some of the limelight. They pulled off an upset over sixth seeds Cho Gun-woo-Kwon Yi-goo of South Korea with a tight 21-19, 23-21 win.
    But Tan Fook-Wan Wah face an uphill task in today’s last eight as they need to get past third seeds Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung of South Korea.

Kim Her was thrilled with his charges’ breakthrough.
    “I had hoped for at least one pair to reach the semi-finals and they did well to meet that goal.” said Kim Her in a telephone interview from Changzhou.
    “Kok Siang and Wei Shem moved well on court today.
    “Kok Siang was sharp in attack while Wei Shem did well to control the shuttle at the net.
    “I am happy to see them beat the Taiwanese pair after having lost to them in the Macau Open. It shows their determination to prove themselves.
    “The other pair - Peng Soon-Khim Wah - had a tougher time but they showed their strong mental strength in the decider despite constant pressure from Chai and Zhang.
    “I am happy to see all these qualities in them.
    “These will take them far in their bid to become the country’s top players,” said Kim Her.
    But there was no joy for Malaysia in the other events. Chin Eei Hui-Goh Liu Ying and Ong Jian Guo-Sabrina Chong crashed out in the second round of the women’s doubles and mixed doubles respectively.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/9/17/sports/7051510.asp&sec=sports

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I see rosman razak is there guiding them..

4. undeadshot

CPS/LKW won 21-18; 21-14 over GWS/TKS. Good luck to them tomorrow, hope they cause an upset!

5. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday September 18, 2010
    Newly-wed Peng Soon shows he’s back on the right track
    PETALING JAYA: Newly-wed Chan Peng Soon showed that he is back on the right track for the New Delhi Commonwealth Games after going through some minor distractions in his life.
    Yesterday, Peng Soon combined well with his partner Lim Khim Wah to reach the men’s doubles semi-finals of the China Masters by disposing of compatriots Teo Kok Siang-Goh Wei Shem 21-18, 21-14 in 36 minutes.
    Peng Soon-Khim Wah, who won the Thailand Open last year, will take on the formidable Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong of South Korea for a place in the final.

Peng Soon had been on a low after losing in the second round of the mixed doubles event with Goh Liu Ying at the World Championships in Paris two weeks ago.
    Last week was a hectic one for him as he finally tied the knot with May May, the lead singer of a local band “Da Monster”.
    National back-up doubles coach Tan Kim Her was happy that Peng Soon managed to stay focused despite all the distractions.
    “It must have been hard for Peng Soon to juggle so many things over the last two weeks but he managed it well,” said Kim Her in a telephone interview from Changzhou. “In fact, he played exceptionally well despite the lack of training.
    “We hope that both Peng Soon and Khim Wah will maintain their good run here.”
    On paper, Peng Soon-Khim Wah will be hard pressed to beat the Koreans today and all Kim Her wants is to see a fighting display from the pair.
    “They have done well to upset a big name in this tournament (when they beat top seeds Fang Chieh-min-Lee Sheng-mu of Taiwan in the second round). The Koreans are a notch better than our back-up players and all I want is to see our Malaysians give them a good fight,” said Kim Her.
    “This year, all I want the back-up pairs to do is to create upsets. I have given them one year to do this.
    “After that, it is all about winning titles.”
    Meanwhile, it was all over for veteran doubles shuttlers Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah when they went down 6-21, 11-21 to South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung yesterday.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2010/9/18/sports/7060080.asp&sec=sports

The reporter blur or TKH blur? It was GWS/TKS who beat Fang/Lee, CPS/LKW beat CB/ZN

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the reporter blur
    normally the () added by writer

7. cclau74

cclau74 Regular Member

The korean totally outplay our youngster in the semis today, I wish for an exciting match but so disappointed with the way they lost !

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Why is the mentality is always like that? Happy to reach the semi final? Should always aim for the title!!!

Peng Soon-Khim Wah go down tamely to Sung-hyun-Yeon-seong

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Youngsters Chan Peng Soon-Lim Khim Wah’s gallant run in the China Masters came to an end in the men’s doubles semi-finals in Changzhou yesterday.
    Peng Soon-Khim Wah found Koreans Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong too hot to handle when they went down meekly at 18-21, 10-21 in 34 minutes.
    With the defeat, the duo failed to reach their first Super Series final.
    [​IMG] Beaten: Lim Khim Wah (right) and Chan Peng Soon found Koreans Ko Sung-hyun and Yoo Yeon-seong too hot handle in the semi-finals of the China Masters Saturday.
    They also failed keep alive their hopes of winning a second international title following their victory at the Thailand Open last year.
    Peng Soon was happy that they managed to reach the semis.
    “Overall, it was a good outing for us. We went beyond the quarter-finals in our first Super Series event. We played with more confidence and determination,” said Peng Soon in a telephone interview from Changzhou.
    “Our goal now is to keep up with this momentum. Our next tournament is the Japan Open and we want to play well there too,” he added.
    National doubles back-up coach Tan Kim Her was also not too disappointed with the defeat of Peng Soon-Khim Wah yesterday.
    “They went beyond my expectations to reach the semi-finals here. The duo did well to upset one higher ranked pair and that is good enough for now,” said Kim Her in a telephone interview from China.
    On Thursday, Peng Soon-Khim Wah send China’s eighth seeded Chai Biao-Zhang Nan packing in the second round.
    “They still have room for improvement. They have been together for almost two years. It is no longer about gaining experiences but about beating higher ranked pairs. I will be happy if they continue to upset one or two big names in every international tournament,” he said. The world No. 54th Peng Soon-Khim Wah will get another chance to come good against more established pairs when they head to Tokyo for the Japan Open next.
    They have been drawn to play against Denmark’s third seed Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen in the opening round, which will begin on Wednesday.
    The Malaysians have not played against the Danes, who did well to emerge as the All-England runners-up this year.
    A win will certainly put them in the right track to become the country’s future doubles stars along with Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong and Teo Kok Siang-Goh Wei Shem.

Courtesy of the Star

9. cclau74

cclau74 Regular Member

Winning the title IS the target!

There is REALLY nothing to be proud of for creating one or 2 upsets. :(

10. eaglehelang

Hahaha, CPS just got married, very litttle time to train, I didnt even expect them to clear R2 this week. If so fast want them to title, Ko/Yoo long time ago quit Korea BA, Yoo only won 1st SS title only after 2 years+ participate regularly in SS (after 1 year+ change partner to Ko).

After minimum 1 year of participating regularly in SS tourneys - 7 to 8 per year, then we see how.

#470 eaglehelang, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  11. george@chongwei

U said it right!!!

12. undeadshot

My reply in red :) Wonder if you would agree with my second one.

13. george@chongwei

Yes, the media or the fans should not huuhhaa or excited of just creating upset once in a while..:D

14. eaglehelang

We not excited, the media only make noise. Then next week at Japan SS, media make noise again when Msia player lose :D

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Excerpts from The Star :
    Peng Soon was happy that they managed to reach the semis.
    “Overall, it was a good outing for us. We went beyond the quarter-finals in our first Super Series event. We played with more confidence and determination,” said Peng Soon in a telephone interview from Changzhou.
    “Our goal now is to keep up with this momentum. Our next tournament is the Japan Open and we want to play well there too,” he added.
    National doubles back-up coach Tan Kim Her was also not too disappointed with the defeat of Peng Soon-Khim Wah yesterday.
    “They went beyond my expectations to reach the semi-finals here. The duo did well to upset one higher ranked pair and that is good enough for now,” said Kim Her in a telephone interview from China.

If these are the words of both the player and coach and not by the media, then it is pathetic. You mean they take part in tournaments to only reach the QF and pick up the momentum and reach the SF in the following tournament and then and then... What if the momentum was interrupted? You go back and start from zero again? To be champion and to continue being a champion you must aim beyond the title. If you have this kind of mentality of only achieving a QF result, you won't progress further once you reached your initial target. One must be brave enough to set higher goals and if these players
    say : Oh... my skills at the moment are only this level and I could only reach the QF, then may as well stay at home and compete in the National Circuit. It is the attitude problem.

16. cclau74

cclau74 Regular Member

As a coach, not only they need to train a player's physical strength and techniques,they should also psychic the player into believing their ability to WIN the tournament!

17. eaglehelang

Aiyoyo, nokh88, normally you not like this. You read too much into what is said, lol. :DSeriously CPS would not have won GP Gold(1 in MD & 1 in XD) if he had no fighting spirit or champion mentality.
    If they have said: "We aim to be champion/aim for them to be champion,etc" then sure will have people complain they talk big only, do cannot. Remember Hafiz case...often talk2 then lose early round. Remember also how KKK used to get critised when he talk 'glowing'. Remember how LCW got critised like crazy when he said he will fight 'bermati-matian' in OG 2008 finals, end up lose tamely. Remember in WC 2007, how Rexy....etc,etc.

So,suffice to say ..better talk modest, show by result.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Aiyoyo, Kak Helang, I mean don't tell the world that you satisfied (contented) with your result when you only reached semi-fimal. When you go into a tournament, you go to win. Modesty is alright but must show ambition too.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Its good to have expectation... unreasonable expectation will cause unnecessary stress to players...

take on step at a time...

20. undeadshot

So, should they tell the world that they are aiming for the title even though we know that they wouldn't stand a chance against Ko/Yoo? :) Like this, people like jimbo hantam, say "Wah, I thought this pair want to win the title one wor..." ; If they don't say that, say the opposite "We are satisfied, we have met our goal", still got other MAS Bcer hantam some more... :( That's why, MAS BCers are the most unique ones! :D

I think what we are looking for is "Although we lost this time, we will analyze our opponent's play and come back stronger next time." That should be enough. Don't mention your targets. This way nobody hantam.