Draw questions

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by Max F, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Max F

Max F New Member

Guys i have 2 questions if its ok

1. I understand there will be 13 groups. For mens singles. Do we know which groups will have 3 players and which 4

2. When is the draw?

2. Master

Master Regular Member

Number of group still undecided, the rule said: "Number of group12-16" and "number of players in each Group 3-4"

The number of groups in the singles events will vary according to the number of entries
    but will not exceed a maximum of 16.

It depending on the number of entries (see tables below):
    Group.png

While the initial number of single player is 38 and we need to wait until all invitations and reallocation finalized, the total number of participant in single category still need to be verified first.

When will the drawing be done?
    26 July 2016. (Confirmed!)

Important dates to be noticed:
    • 18 July 2016
    : Rio 2016 Sport Entries deadline
    • 21 July 2016 : The participating players/pairs will be ranked in their group based on the ranking list of 21 July 2016.

For details explanation, you could read these documents:
    Olympics Qualifying Regulations for Rio 2016
    Olympic Games – Regulations for Badminton Competition – Rio 2016
    Rio 2016 Olympic Games – Essential Reading

#2 Master, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    pcll99 and phihag like this.
  3. fabien

fabien New Member

#3 fabien, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. event

event Regular Member

Where is the confirmation of this new draw date? The article you link to, like all info I've seen from the BWF, says the draws are on July 26th, not the 28th. Did you type it incorrectly or did you hear that the date had changed and forget to include the source?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I also thought the draw date is July 26th.

6. konak

konak Regular Member

I think the draw in MS and WS is rather awkward and not totally fair.

From what I learn in Middle school, Bye only given in the first match of tournament. You don't give bye at later stage because as tournament goes, competition will becomes harder, and giving certain player bye at later stage obviously giving clear advantage to that player.

Look at this MS draw. Seeded 5 have to beat seeded 9 to be in QF, while seeded 1, 2 and 3 get a free ride.
    And i don't think there's much different in quality and skill between seeded 3 and 4 or 5. So there's a clear advantage given to seeded 1 to 3 over seeded below them.

I can guess why the official don't separate player into 8 groups (too many match in qualification) or 16 groups ( they don't want certain player out of competition in their first match of the tournament, like lin dan in 2004 or LYD in 2008)
    But why didn't they just invite 48 players instead 40, And then make 16 seeds instead of 13. So every seeded player have to beat another seeded palyer to be in QF.

Is there any explanation ?

7. SoNoLux

SoNoLux Regular Member

Here

Attached Files:

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

for some reason, IOC decided the total no of players for the badminton events to be set at 172, 86 males and 86 females.
    3*16 pairs in doubles took up 96 thus left 76 for singles (38 each). Further complicated with double players qualified for 2, or even 3 events in theory thus freed up spaces for others.

Therefore the no of singles is between 38 and a few, unknown until very late.

9. konak

konak Regular Member

Thank you for enlightening me.
    Who is deciding about the draw?? is it BWF or IOC.

If I was given the authority to decide the draw ;), I will decide first the 16 seeded player and put them in 16 groups. 8 groups contain 3 player and 8 groups contain 2 player.
    The group that contains 3 play round robin system, and all player in the group that contain 2 play against each other two times. I Think this system is much fairer, and all player have the chance to play two times in qualification period.

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

because IOC set out to have the same no of players for both sexes.
    for each male player qualified for 2 events (MD/XD) produce one extra place for MS, same as female players.
    therefore, no. of single players depended upon no of players qualified for 2/3 events thus they can't have a fixed no of single players.

11. konak

konak Regular Member

I still put all singles player in 16 groups nevertheless , not 14 or 15.

You will see my point if you know that lee chong wei only need to beat derek liang wong who ranked 57 to reach quarter final.
    Common senses tell me that someone need to beat top 16 (or player who beat top 16) to reach quarter final.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

With the current quota of 172 players total, this year we have 41 MS and 40 WS.
    For 16 groups in singles, MS will have 9 groups of 3 and 7 groups of 2 players. Similarly, WS with 8x3 and 8x2 groups. Almost half of the groups with just 2 players! A new definition for group matches.

At least the current system assured a min of 3 players in a group that served 2 functions. First assure the top seeds wouldn't get knockout in the first round, though still not 100% certain. Also, at least 2 matches min for the players really just there for the experience and to enjoy the Olympics.

Unless IOC prepared to relax the total no and drop the equal no of players for both sexes then we might have a better system.

13. event

event Regular Member

Your idea was what they did in London. I guess since they are limited to 38+double qualifiers, they realized that the London (your) method was too similar to a straight knockout tournament. Think if they had done it for the 40-person WS field this year, they would have had exactly half of the 'groups' just being single matches, exactly like a round of 32. This way, having byes through the R16 seems odd but 2 of the 3 in MS who have that have an extra match in the round-robin. with 13 seeds, your #14, 15, and 16 players got piled into other groups so players like Axelsen have to face a top 16 player. before the R16. On the other hand, in London, 3 seeds - Tago, Nguyen, and Ouseph - were eliminated before the R16 and only one of those was eliminated via losing just one match. Chen Jin, Chen Long, and Sho Sasaki were drawn to face the lowest 3 seeds, who under the Rio rules would have been piled into some other group. By the way, Lee Chong Wei does have 2 matches to play before the QF, so it's only one fewer than everyone else. He has to play the Surinam player in the round robin, too.

14. event

event Regular Member

Oh, I missed this part. In this way, of course, your system is different from London. I think two Tago Kenichi vs. Niluka Karunaratne matches at the beginning of the tournament would be very odd indeed. What would you do if Tago won the second match? Play a 3rd match? You already have best of 3 games in one match for this purpose. Perhaps if it's so difficult to come up with a round-robin system that makes sense, it's time to go back to a knockout tournament.

15. konak

konak Regular Member

I will count their games, if equal then count their points.

my complain about this 2016 MS drawing will be answered IF the official put each of LDK(#14), Sho Sasaki (#15) or Boonsak (#16) in the same group with LCW. CL and Lindan. So at least the top seed face one strong opponent before QF.

16. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Or why not have a system similar to superseries, where the main draw is knockouts, and a few places are for qualifier groups.