Doubles Tournament in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jinryu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Volts,
    We're referring to Friday August 5.

Jinryu,
    How many courts and how much court time do you think you can get? If we're only 7 or 8 players, I guess you should be only getting one court for, let's say 4 hours instead of getting 2 courts for 2 hours. Everyone will get a chance to warm up a little, but the games won't be too intense. After all, we don't want to wear ourselves out for the tournament.

Yes, for the guest pass, it's 3$ for under 18, but about 11,95$ (+tx?) otherwise.

2. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Oh, I thought there'd be more people, 4 hours is definitely not a problem. I'm wondering what time people will get there though, I assume some of you Montréalers will be working during the day?

Well, actually, I've invited my badminton friends as well who may or may not be participating in the tournament so we're definitely getting more people than the list Jinryu has posted above.

#82 silentlight, Jul 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  3. Devilicious

student
    I say 4 hrs, but it could be more right? :p I, for one thing, am free the whole day. If not too many are occupied during the day, I suggest we start our session somewhere around early afternoon like 2pm (will you have arrived by then, Lazy?). We might then grab something to eat in Chinatown after the session?

Personally, I hope the session won't end too late at night as it's good to have proper rest before the tournament. :)

And Silentlight, how many Ymca members do you think you can get to reserve?

That's great.

4. silentlight

student/programmer
    That's all fine with me. As for how many courts I can tentatively get reserved, right now, I can think of 7 people (myself included), I've also sent out word yesterday that I need as many people as they can find to reserve courts for that day but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I don't know how many Jinryu can get. The Chinatown Y closes at 10pm on weekdays, I don't think that's too late but if you guys want to eat after, we should probably leave earlier.

5. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Aside from Silentlight's contacts, I can potentially reserve three courts (I have three members 'in my pocket', including myself).

I think in general an afternoon reservation will be easier than any other time, since the gym is USUALLY less busy in the afternoon (compared to at night). But why don't we put it through a vote? I'm indifferent, since I'm not even sure if i'm working that day yet, but i'll still reserve of course.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Do u mind to tell me (here or PM) who my MD partner will be? Hopefully someone willing to cover my lazy butt a bit. :p

I know who's my MXD partner for sure already. :D

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, i think 2pm is a bit too earlier. With my driving speed, 2pm might be a bit rush for me to get there. Since Friendies is my local contact in MTL, I say I will follow her schedule. If she does not mind, I am fine. Otherwise, maybe we should push it to be a bit later, as some others might need to work as well.

If Jinryu can get 3 courts, maybe 4 hrs is a bit long... Of course, that really depends on how many ppl finally show up. ;)

8. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    2PM is a bit early for me too. I was planning on leaving at noon and arriving at around 4:30PM. I need a local guide too, someone want to volunteer? I got air-con in my car. :) Let me know soon so I can do my scheduling.

9. Devilicious

student
    The reason I suggested 2pm is, as Silentlight mentioned, YMCA is very busy at night. Basically, I intended to avoid the "rush hour".

Outlah, I believe I can help you to get around Mtl on Friday a little. Although people who know me will frown at my sense of direction. Oh well. *shrugs* At your own risks. :p

10. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Fast driver eh? =P Do arrive in one piece plz.

11. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    I was told by many it take only 4.5-5 hours to drive from Toronto to Montreal. Were they lying to me?

12. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    When you say "rush hour", do you mean the general area around YMCA or YMCA itself is busy?

Thanks Devilicious, I will take you up on your offer if I come in on Friday. :)

13. silentlight

student/programmer
    Without breaking speed limits, it's around 6 hours I think but then my dad doesn't drive fast and we make washroom stops on the way so maybe 5 hours is feasible.

14. Devilicious

student
    I mean the rush hour IN YMCA. I believe many many people tend to reserve courts for late evening to night time. :mad:

15. Devilicious

student
    :eek: I... I suggest you leave much earlier, as you don't sound familiar with the way to Mtl. Plus, at that time, you might be trapped in the traffic and traffic is pretty bad in the rush hour (5-6pm).

Oh, and another note. Where are you going to park your car?? There shouldn't be any parking meters left in Chinatown by the time you get here. Unless you want to pay like 12 bucks for underground parking or whatsoever, you'll have to try to fit your car in the YMCA locker. =P

16. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    The traffic is not that bad. I'm sure there will be parking spots available on the streets ... it's not NYC. :p There is always paying parking lots and the Y underground parking (5$) entrance on St-Urbain.

17. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    I rather pay $5 than circle around for 15 minutes looking for parking. Even metered parking is $3. The question now is, does the Y parking get fill up?

Thanks for the suggestions frendies, I think Auberge Alternative would be the best choice, its close to Chinatown and only 10km to the tournament. How much is the overnight parking at the Y? Maybe I can just park my car there.

#97 outlah, Jul 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... don't remind me about the parking nightmare in NYC, as you might have better chance to win lottery, compare to get a parking spot in middle town during peak time.

With our schedule, I think I will come with frendies to YMCA around 5-6pm on fri. :)

19. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    Yeah, 5-6 sounds about right for me too. :)

Could someone please find out if the Y allow overnight parking? Also, are there any closeby overnight parking and how much? Thanks

20. Devilicious

student
    Well, instead, why don't you just park at where you stay and use public transportation? The transportation system here is easily comprehensible and very accessible.