Doubles Tournament in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jinryu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Hi all, as you may have read the recent threads, there's going to be a tournament this summer in LaSalle at the RsM Weekender club. We're going all out with the doubles events.

With the help of Silentlight, we're launching the first ever "RsM Amateur Open".

Tournament is set for August 6th, doors open at 2:00pm, first match is at 2:30.

Prizes will be awarded! There's also gonna be a raffle event, so even if you don't win your category, you can still go home with something. Entry is 15$ for a single event, 20$ for two events. If you come and play at one of the regular meets of the RsM Weekender or if you're a member at RsM Weekender, then single event entry is 10$.

For more information about the tournament check out the site at http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/weekender/AmatuerOpen1st.htm

...Thanks again to everyone who helped work out the logistics of the tournament organization. Our special guest star LazyBudy is coming up all the way from new york to participate, so everyone better start beefing up to show just how montreal plays badminton!

#1 Jinryu, Jun 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great to see ur hard work pays off! Let's rock!!!

Btw, I might need a partner (or 2) to participate, as I am not sure who else will come up with me for the trip. I would like to play 2 events if possible. ;)

Guys, take it easy on ur guest, as I am no where near to be a good player myself. Of course, I will fight hard, but I am busy trying to find some excuses (if lose big) for myself already. :D

3. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Oh goody! it started!! :D Wish it all the best!

Will there be a way to "request for partners" for the tournament? Finding partners will be kinda hard as the majority of my bad. friends are away during that time of the year. :(

And LB? You are wwaaayyyy too modest. Thinks: must be hiding his strength and preparing to kick the butts of us Montrealers!! Oh no! >.< :p

#3 Devilicious, Jun 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe we should get a list of the ppl who needs partner, specify what event might be interested. This way, at least, we can attract more participants. However, the poor guy or girl who has to pair up with me, can simply say "bye" to trophy now. :cool: :p

5. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Yes, we will be keeping a list for people who need partners in either category, so send us your name, phone number, email as well as the category you want to participate in, please PM jinryu, thanks.

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Yeah, the list has been created, I'm just sitting around anxiously waiting for the first signup. Silentlight and I will also be going on a "Dojo Destroyer" tour around montreal to promote the tournament.

For those of you who haven't heard of "Dojo Destroyers", the term comes from back in the days of real martial arts where masters used to go to other schools and compete for students. Basically, what dojo destroyes used to do was go to some other school, beat the players there, and then tell them "Fah! You call yourself fighters! Pathetic! You don't deserve to have a club!" and then they'd take the signboard from their school (which is usually written in gold letters on a plank of expensive wood) and then break it into itty bitty peices, or just two big peices, for emphasis. And then the master of their bows down his head in shame, and the destroyer spits on him, regardless of how old or frail he is, and then say "true warriors train at OUR school!"

Lol. Okay, so that's a bit overdramatized, I was just kidding. We're not that mean, and more imoprtantly, we're probably not that good either, we don't spit on old men, we don't tell people their clubs suck, -- after all, badminton being as rare as it is, we all gotta stick together right?

Chances are, the places we go to will have teams that can beat us many more times than we can beat any of them. But we've got two scenario responses planned!

• Scenario A-- We win games : "Impressive. Butl, if you really want to get better, you should go and play at RsM. That's how we got this strong."
    • Scenario B-- We lose games. And we don't just lose, we get spanked. To this, we say:"well, if you thought beating us was easy, maybe you should join our tournament and then it'll be easy for you go get the prizes!"
    It's a win win situation.:D

Seriously though. Join our club! Join our tournament!

(edit: Hmm... well, i was gonna try and make us sound less desperate, but I couldn't. :rolleyes:)

#6 Jinryu, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    ooo? LB is playing. Muahahahahah. This sounds like fun!!

8. li_ka_shing168

li_ka_shing168 Regular Member

student, restaurant manager (millionaire LOL)
    hey hey jinryu! so happy to know there will be a tournament coming up. i though everyone will have to wait until the new season to come before having to compete again. i would like to subscribe with some friends and i will try to promote for u too, but i want to know is there abc category in the single and double event or is there no category and everyone is going to play each other.
    Ka-Shing

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

No categories-- everyone is going to play together.

I would generally say though that most of the players will be C class. RsM's tournament is called an "amateur open" because I want to focus mainly on the next generation players, thus, beginers and intermediates who want tournament experience and want to really get some exposure to different players. Though lower B class players is about okay, I think high B and A might be a bit of overkill-- it's not that they can't join, but it wouldn't be much fun for them (not enough challenge).

Course, if you pair a high class player with a low class player, that's perfectly fine-- but what I'm not particularly keen about is a pair, for example, of A class players. For this reason people who contact us for the registry of single players looking for partners are asked to tell us about their current ranking, and if not, then their experience and history, so at least we can get a rough (very rough) idea of how not to make any teams superstrong relative to another. What I don,t want is just some pair of top A players cleaning out the pools, taking the prize, and not having had any fun in the process, and having made other people (their defeated opponents feel quite miserable as well). If you are a high class player, I invite you to challenge yourselves by taking on a lower class partner.

The main idea is that no one should feel "I'm not good enough for this tournament". Course, this tournament isn't "backyard-badminton", but it's more of a social friendly tournament, than a cut-throat thing. Just trying to get montrealers to see who else is out there outside of their own clubs.:D

#9 Jinryu, Jun 29, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Fun, sure... Let's count how many ppl can kick my butt w/o sweat 1st. Maybe quite a lot...

If i got hyped up, I might pull out the LB dives :rolleyes: , my poor knee :crying: ... still thinking ;) ...

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, I think I belong to C, unless ur guys' standard is much higher over there. Therefore, I think i deserve the strongest player to team up with me... Maybe "master Jinryu"??? :D

12. Devilicious

student
    Oh no, he's trying to take advantage of us again...!! :D
    When will you be coming though? 7 hrs of driving NY-Mtl JUST for badminton?! :eek:

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The driving is more likely to be 8-9 hrs, as I drive really slow. :cool: Well, badminton is one thing, but i also would like to relax, and do some site seeing if possible. I am still planning on the details, and also depend on who might come with me for the trip. ;)

14. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

"Master Jinryu" HAH. Ask the people at my club, I don't actually win that many games... I'm just the general who organizes the soldiers at bootcamp to keep on going, that's all. An old man with a desk job.

In any case, don't bring the entire LB cheerleading squad, distracting opponents is against the rules remember :rolleyes:

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    LB cheerleading squad??? Nah, I am the main cheerleader for the squad, during our local tournies. :-d

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... Maybe we can sign up as a team, if u don't mind me drag down ur performance...

17. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I can't wait to see the infamous...err, famous LB :D.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... be my partner then (or oppoennt), I will show u the LB dives instead... :p

19. Devilicious

student
    I thought you were bringing people w/ you? :confused: But otherwise, it'd be such an honor to fight alongside master LB :D *bows*

**a bit off topic**
    For site seeing, come a week earlier to see the FINA aquatic games in Mtl!! It's like the water sports "olympics". Many famous athletes will participate. www.montreal2005.org Once in a life time!

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. The chance others coming with me might be slim, as not everyone willing to take days of vactions to travel to another nation for a tourny. :D

2. Even someone comes, s/he might not participate. ;)

3. Honor? Nah... Scary experience? Might be... U will feel the floor shaking under ur feet, when me bouncing off the floor like a meat ball, after a LB dive... :D

4. A week earlier??? Hmmm.... let me see how much vacation I still have in my bank... :rolleyes: