Doubles Serve trajectory

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SixSeven, Oct 30, 2017.

1. SixSeven

SixSeven Regular Member

What should the trajectory of the short serve be?
    Should the highest point of the shuttle be directly above the net? Or should the shuttle be already going downward when it passes the top of the net?

The shuttle of my service usually reaches its highest point above the net, and starts to fall down from there. I felt like that even though my serve are just barely above the net, the shuttle can still get pushed over from time to time, making it difficult for my partner to retrieve.

Am I serving wrong? Should the shuttle reach its highest point well before the net and goes down toward the top of the net?

2. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Should the shuttle reach its highest point well before the net and goes down toward the top of the net?
    No. Your serve should require as little time as possible to reach the opponent, and as such, the lower the highest point the better.

When you think your serve is already tight (elevation wise), and the return is still troublesome, the first questions I usually ask:

Do you aim to the center of the T, and does your shuttle land very near to the service line?

Try to serve without any opponent; does your shuttle land within 5 cms (2 inches) to the center of the T? Usually why the partner has difficulties in returning the serve return is because we serve wide; when we serve wide, the easiest reply from your opponent happens to be the most effective: push straight. This really limits the return options for your partner.

When your serve is already very tight to the T, and the highest point is just above the net, the next question would be:​

Do you keep your opponent honest?

You have to do flick serve occasionally (1-2 times per set in average) to keep your opposition honest. Remember, the initial movement of your flick serve has to be identical with your short serve.​

Lastly, do you have a clear tell before you serve?

This, I discovered very recently: one of my friends has a very obvious tell when he is about to do short serve. He will look forward, nod down THEN serve. Although we are not allowed to move before the shuttle hits the racket, this very specific rhythm helps the opponents to be super aggressive in returning the serve.

Keep your signs to minimum, and try to vary the delay period whenever you are about to serve.​

visor likes this.