Doubles rules

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Sommersby, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sommersby

Sommersby New Member

I didn't find information for this: Lets say I return the serve from A box and in some point of game I need to return the serve from B box? Why is that and when i need to do it?

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Have a look at §11 of the badminton laws:

In other words: If the score of the serving pair is even, they serve from the right. If the score of the serving pair is odd, they serve from the left.
    Serves always go diagonally. When a player serves and scores, the player continues to serve. Otherwise, they keep standing on the same side (right or left) they were standing during the previous rally.

If that sounds complicated to you, feel free to play around with a demo game in my umpire software. Give points to the various sides and observe how the positions rotate.

The doubles service court is wide but short. This graphic shows serving/receiving at even scores of the server:

[​IMG]

Why are the rules this way? Well, they ensure that in a usual game, all combinations of serving from the left, the right, the identity of the server and the identity of the receiver happen with about equal probability, but you don't have to remember anything but the score and the positions/outcome of the last rally, and there is no calculation required.

Fidget likes this.
  3. Sommersby

Sommersby New Member

Im at work currently so I can't play with ur demo yet but I don't know if u got my point. I know where I need to serve and the lines but if I start returning the serve from A box (or 1 box) when the game starts 0-0 and in some point of the game I need to return the serve from box b (box 2). I have been playing tennis and there in double you always return the serve from box a or box b, you dont change the boxes ever with your partner.

edit. My english is pretty bad so maybe you told the rule i was looking for but I didn't just understand it.

edit 2. In other words : I start returning from right side and in some point of game I need to return from the odd side. Why and when?

#3 Sommersby, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Well, in badminton you do. But we don't call it box a and b or 1 and 2, but just the left or right service court.

In badminton, you simply keep the positions of the last time you served. For instance, when you were at the right side at 0-0, you'll remain at the right side until you score two consecutive points. As long as the opponents score or your side scores only one point, you'll remain at the right side, for both serving and receiving.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

At score 0-0, the server on right (player A) serves to reciever on right.
    If the serving team wins (1-0), Player A moves to the left and serves to the receiver on the left.
    If the next point goes to the other team (1-1) then Player A stays on the left side and receives.

So in other words you receive in the place you last were standing. You only change sides when your team has won a point while serving.

phihag likes this.
  6. Sommersby

Sommersby New Member

Thanks alot now i got it!

7. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Want to ask one question ... Can a back player move a little or he/she has to absolutely stay still when front player serves ? I have a habit of moving a little when my partner is serving and have been warned by fellow mates coz of this .

8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The partners of the server and receiver can move around on court as they like, provided they
    1. don't unsight the server/receiver (§9.5). If you're behind the server, this cannot possibly apply.
    2. don't deliberately distract the opponents (§13.4.5)
    3. don't leave the court (§16.5.2)
    In other words, when your partner is serving, you are free to walk around behind them, shift your weight, run, jump, or do whatever else within reason.

If your friends tell you otherwise, ask them to show you the rule that says so.

#8 phihag, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Parth Nayak likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @phihag

Rule 9.5.

Let’s say mixed doubles the lady is standing in the front and her partner serves from behind her.

Must the opponent have a clear view of the serve from the very start?

Parth Nayak likes this.
  10. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Thanks a lot ! :D

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Precisely, that's what §9.5 is about. Note that in practice, the umpire/service judge will not call a fault, but ask the server's partner to reposition.

Cheung likes this.