Doubles Badminton Rules

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by psch29, Jan 17, 2010.

1. psch29

psch29 New Member

Teacher
    Help! I am a high school phys ed teacher and I have been trying to find out about the new rules for doubles badminton. For the last 25 years, I have been teaching that the 1st team to serve to start the game, only has one serve. After the server (who starts in the right hand box) loses their serve, the opponent (who is in their right hand box) serves. from this point on, both members of the team get to serve and you can only win points when your team is serving. Also, the teammate who is in the right hand box when the team gets the birdie back, always starts serving. Can anyone help me with the new doubles rules, and are these rules going to be adopted by all organizations? When did these rules go into effect? Thanks for your help!

2. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

The new serving rules aren't that complex:

1. Each side only get's 1 serve
    2. The server is whoever stands in the even/odd side, depending on the amount of points.
    3. You only change sides when you win a rally in which you served.

I think that pretty much covers it. An example:

I'm standing in the right (even) side, the score is 0-0 and my team will serve first. We lose this rally and so the score is 0-1 to the opposing team.
    Now it is their turn to serve, as they have an odd amount of points, they shall serve from the left side. Let's say the win this rally, so the score is now 0-2 in their favor - since they served, they switch sides so that the same guy now serves from the even side. My side wins the next rally and so the score is 1-2.
    As we got an odd number of points, we shall serve from the left side, so my partner will be our server.

The rest of the rules remains pretty much the same, except for playing best of 3 to 21 with a rally system - needing to win the match by at least 2 points with 30 being the hardcap (should the score end up 29-29 whoever wins the next rally wins the set).

I though every organization had adopted these rules already, they have been used internationally for at least a couple of years by now (2005 approved for trial, 2006 implemented).

3. psch29

psch29 New Member

Teacher
    Trmun,

Thank you so much for explaining the rule to me. You did a great job! But no, the new rally point scoring has not gone into effect recreationally where I live. I will start teaching the new rules though. Thanks again!

4. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

No problem, you are most welcome, if you want to take a look at all the rules here is a ling (they got some pretty good diagrams I think you could use when teaching it):

http://www.edba.ab.ca/RallyPointSystem.pdf

5. druss

druss Regular Member

Just think of it like volleyball, with serving required from the right if even and left if odd.

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Goodluck with the changes. The first time we adapted these rules, a lot of people reacted. Althought it's easier for doubles, the phase of the game would be faster, which is totally different from the previous system. A single error could already cost you a point.