Does Fransisca Haris have potential to be the next Susi Susanti?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by apontoh, May 16, 2005.

1. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

I saw some posts in the China v Indonesia thread praising this young 86th ranked talent. I wonder if she could really be the next shining star for INA's WS, like Susi Susanti was in the 90s?
    What do u think?

2. peace

peace Regular Member

Hmmm.....I do not know and I cannot predict her. She is still far away behind but if she has a great commitment and willingness, and also try hard, she can be one of INA's good player. But, what she showed against Xie Xingfang and Zhang Ning....it's already good for a new starter shuttlers like her...especially in Final, in 2nd set, she gave Zhang Ning a bit difficulty to win the 2nd game.

I think PBSI should give her and other WS players more chances to particpate in the tournament, not only the lower class tournament but also the best one, so that they can feel how to compete in a hard way...especially when she meet Chinese player.....

3. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    maybe not yet a 'susi susanti', since shes a legend and definetly 'up there', but since she plays with so much determination and fighting spirit, which i truly admire, that makes her always giving her all even when she knows she will lose, maybe she is the next indonesia's ws heroine:D

and, even if shes not susi yet, i see her as a progression in indonesian female squad, not only her as a player, but also the whole squad in general

#3 aiyuuw, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  4. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

She needs to improve her strength, speed and stamina. I saw her panting like a horse.

5. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, PBSI's strategy with the WS is I think to make them focus on small tournaments first before going to the international stage.
    Also , I read a report saying that Joko Suprianto is apparently training them quite hard...with much more emphasis on physical training/endurance than the previous coach, whoever it was.

6. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Is today the lowest point for INdonesia's WS in the last , say, 7 years or is the WS slowly improving?

7. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    did u mean, hendrawan,,,,,?

8. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Is Hendrawan training them? hmm I thought Joko was.:confused:

9. the_way

the_way Regular Member

i dont think she can progress far...comparing talent...i think the last 3 indonesian players in the previous uber cup have more potential...sadly...some of them have left the national team

10. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

The next Susi susanti ??? .. no don't think so, susi was really really talented and welle , she' s legend and a heavenly player !! LoL but we can be sure that after this sudirman cup, she'll be maybe more confident and in a way improve quickly i won't be surprise if we see her in about 3 years in the top 20 and maybe in the top 10 !! =p

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting that in every SC, we see a promising WS player from Indonesia.

in SC 2001, Yuli Marfuah played a strong game against Gong Zhichao, no where near the former Olympics champion, but showed some promise none the less.

in SC 2003, we saw the excellent display of Maria Kristin, she almost toppled Zhou Mi and gathered a lot of attention. and today, she isn't even in the radar.

and now in SC 2005, another young player in the form of Fransisca Haris.

and frankly, compared to Yuli and Maria, Fransisca trails them with a worse basic skills. Maria was the best in my opinion. Fransisca is not even close when compared to Susi, who has one of the best strokes among the legendary players, even when compared to the Chinese, very few Chinese ladies come close to Susi.

12. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

It's hard to tell now. But I think it's not something impossible.

I saw the match between Fransisca and Zhang Ning on TV. Our Indonesian commentator said that PBSI has chosen this young inexperienced Fransisca because of her 'mental strength' that she shows everytime she plays.
    She wasn't expected to win against Chinese of course, but this is one of the best chance can be given that will be of great benefit in the future.

Susi is indeed a great player. She has great strokes, great footwork (looks like a dancer on court), has great defence, but on top of that, she has this 'mental strength'. We say she possess 'mental juara' (juara means champion).
    Rudy Hartono is also known for his 'mental juara'. (I don't know what's the English term for this 'mental juara'....)

There are many players with great strokes, great skills, but lack of this 'mental juara'. For example, MS player Marleve Mainaky. Coach said in training Marleve has the most complete strokes & weapons comparing to other players in his time, but he's not so successful due to his emotion weakness.
    So great weapons are useless if you can not use them in a real match.

Fransisca has 'mental juara', she has the strength that Maria Kristin, Yuli Marfuah, Silvi Antarini don't. But that's not enough.
    Hopefully her skill will be improved greatly with more time and experiences.
    How far will she go? Well, let's wait and see.

13. the_way

the_way Regular Member

talking bout silvi antarini....i think china said that she had talent in the last uber cup because she gave a stiff challenge to the chinese ladies and played until rubber set...

however...she is no longer in indonesian team....

14. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Yes you're right. Silvi also beat Mia Audina in Malay Open 2003. But Silvi has problem with PBSI. In 2003, PBSI kicked her out of Pelatnas due to 'indiscipline problem', and then let her back to the Pelatnas. And after Thailand Open it's Silvi's turn to leave the Pelatnas without being asked. We do not know why.
    However that's a blessing for Nana (Fransisca).
    She said, "If only Silvi was still in Pelatnas, maybe I would not have been chosen (to Sudirman Cup in Beijing)".
    It's still a long way to go for Nana...

#14 Ningtyas, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

"Mental juara" in English can be termed "a champion mindset" or "mindset of a champion" or "a champion mentality" or "mentality of a champion" or something else??...hehe, many terms, so pick your own..:)

16. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Does a horse pant? :)

i thought a horse have all those attributes: Strength, speed and stamina
    :D

Regards

CS

17. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

For which country is Silvi playing now?

18. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    i think she can.. with that sort of willpower and determination

19. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Right now in Pelatnas (Indo's badminton training centre), Indonesia has 3 best WS, they are : Maria Kristin, Adrianti Firdasari and Fransisca 'Nana' Ratnasari.

There was 1 WS player who also one of the best : Silvi Antarini, who ran away from Pelatnas after she had a conflict with PBSI.

From the 3 players, I think Maria is the best in skill. She has a very good stroke and footwork. What lack from her is her mentality, she has no fighting spirit like Nana. That's why PBSI replace Maria with Nana weeks before SC start.

Hendrawan -the WS coach- said (when he took over the training task from Ivanna) that Indonesia WS lack of speed. The footwork of the players is 'too hard', not 'light' enough. That's why they are 'very slow'.

He said that he has a plan, to 'create' WS troops to the top. He promises that in 2-3 years his troops will be able to compete China.
    One of his plan is to send his troops to Satelite and 2-3 stars tournaments to collect experiances before he send them to the 'Grand Slam'.

#19 jkusmanto, May 17, 2005
    Last edited: May 17, 2005
  20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think this is the right thing to do! :)