Different kinds of serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ketan Patil, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

Hi friends,
    I have started this thread to discuss about different serves since I couldn't find any such thread.

I am thinking of a different kind of high serve. Standing near the tramlines we can high serve to the middle of the opponent's court. This way he would think whether it is out as the shuttle would be coming from a direction out of his receiving court. Is this thinking right?
    Since it is a high serve we can easily move into base position.

Can anyone tell me how to make a backhand flick serve go more farther and higher?

I have come up with a backhand service which shoots at the opponent's face. Is it like the Kevin Sanjaya punch serve or is it different?

Thank you!;)

#1 Ketan Patil, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Simeon likes this.
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

At club level many people do those kinds of serves. But they wouldn't happen at county level.

And against a good player they are usually very easy for a good player to return. And almost always very easy for a very good player to return.

Serves that come from very cross court can be seen from a mile away.. And if they are low can be cut out..

They can be high risk if you are looking at a low one covering a long distance and just landing in the box.

Or going across the width of the court and landing in the side tramlines.

I'm not very good at these kind of silly/joke serves, but one time I really nailed somebody with one.. 'cos the thing is that to receive one you often need to reposition yourself and some people just aren't aware of this. So one guy I was serving to was standing in the regular position for receiving a normal serve, as any coach would say is "the position" to receive serve, though they don't tend to coach how to reply to joke serves.

I started moving to the the far tramline. He stood there "ready" for the serve. I hit it low at a sharp angle, and it went completely behind him. He just stood there with no clue what or how that just happened.

From the receiver's perspective, you also get shuttles that are best hit while the shuttle is in the other box, before they reach your box.

don't know

Ketan Patil likes this.
  3. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    This wide serve is easy serve to counter, but often works against weak players as they stand in an incorrect receiving position and likely have weak movement and or racket skills.

To counter this you simply need to stand on the centre line to take away the serve they want to play to the rear corner of the box.

You need to be mentally prepared then for the lower cross court to the front which you can take as it will take a long time to reach that corner.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ketan Patil likes this.
  4. Ketan Patil

Thanks!
    Could you tell me about more service ideas?

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Most people here won't be doing those kind of serves.. and if they play in the better clubs, won't generally be seeing them.. And people won't be trying them on them..

You'll see lots of these kind of serves if you go to a few badminton clubs and watch who does them and which they do. And try to play on court with them and get a video of the game if you can so you can review it to see better what's going on.

6. Ketan Patil