Difference between Yonex BG 80 and BG 80 Power?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sgt_Strider, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I've been using Yonex BG 80 for more than half a decade. This is definitely my favourite string. I'll be upgrading to a new racquet soon and I just became aware of the BG 80 Power. Is this a worthy upgrade over the BG 80?

2. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    It's been discussed a lot on the forums... a 30 seconds search would've given you results

long story short: bg80power is softer, lasts longer and has a more muted feel compared to bg80

if you find bg80 to be too hard for your liking, bg80power might be a good option for you. ultimately the only right answer is to try it for yourself and judge.

in my case, the only upside about bg80power is that it comes in orange, i prefer bg80

3. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Thanks, it sounds like I would be well advised to stick with the BG 80.

4. naoh72

naoh72 New Member

students
    i smash harder when i use BG80 power :) i will stick to this string even though it is quite expensive, but worth your money since it is more durable compare to BG80.

5. naoh72

naoh72 New Member

students
    u should give it a try!! BG80 power gives u more power..

6. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

what tension u put?

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    BG80P drops tension faster. After an experiment on two equal rackets, both at 29/31, the BG80P drops tension faster. The fresh string of BG80P offered more power than the fresh BG80, but after a few sessions, the BG80P dropped too much and the power became sluggish and the feel became dull, at the same time the BG80 had it's break in an performed very well.
    My advice, if you care more about tension holding and feel I would suggest BG80, if you care more about durability and a bit more power since day0, go for BG80P. IMO the power of BG80P is easier to access.

8. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

bg 80 power vs nbg 99 which one better?

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    NBG99 has a slightly rougher coating, holds tension a tiny bit better, less power, feels a bit better after a few weeks, but initial feel of BG80Power is IMO better. NB99 is a bit more durable. I would recommend NBG99 the type of user, who don't like the hard feel of BG80, but BG80Power is superior in every aspect if you don't care about the durability and not too much about tension loss. If you don't MUST use a string more than 20 hours BG80Power gets my vote otherwise NBG99.

10. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

Have to disagree there, bg80 is the roughest string out there for me. BG80P i find to be a lot less rough and as the others have mentioned it loses tension faster than BG80. Tried many others including NBG99 but always come back to BG80 in the end, best feel and tension retention for me.

Your best bet is to try it at same tension as you normally have your BG80, it's always going to be a personal feeling of what's best for you.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Please read properly. Nobody stated any other mentioned string as rough as BG80, nobody said that any mentioned string holds tension better than BG80. Nobody said anything that any of the mentioned strings is superior in any aspect compared to BG80 except durability. Just some people don't like the hard feel. I just compared BG80Power with NBG99 for [MENTION=118700]john1994[/MENTION]. So where and why do you disagree?:confused:

12. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

Easy now pardner, i read the posts well enough. To qualify my entirely own opinion based comment above. For 'me' I find in terms of roughness BG80 > BG80P > NBG99 (i dont find it very rough at all).

I also made no other comment on superiority of one string against another other than stating my own personal preference apart from to agree with your own post on the loss of tension with BG80P.

As the end of my post suggests to John, he should try it out at his usual BG80 tension and not rely purely on posts here.

Just trying to help a fellow BC user out.

Peace!

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    No Problem, it wasn't clear about which term you disagree and then you talk all the way about BG80, so a misunderstanding was given. I must disagree here. ;) I have all strings at home. Unstrung and strung on customers rackets/my own ones. If I glide with one of my fingernails over a part of each string, BG80 is the roughest and BG80Power the smoothest, judging by my feeling. Maybe you feel different.

14. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

K I go for nbg 99 then, because I only have one racket and I string very high. I am a control player. So I guess nbg 99 suit me thanks for the information.

15. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

bg80p, nbg98, nbg99 are essentially the same thing (nano coated for smooth surface) just different gauge

16. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

simple answer is that 80p gives a softer feeling
    i prefer 80 than 80p

azchuah1 likes this.
  17. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

Why Doesn't my BG 80 Strings last more than 2 days? I love that string but can't afford that much. Any reason why that happens? I String my racquets at 26lbs of tension. Hope you guys will reply

18. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Your stringer will damage the string or your string will be damaged by a grommet. Where does your string break?

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Could also be mishitting. Some rackets don't have a high top cross and are more prone to be not forgiving on mishits. I would fully regrommet the racket. Maybe this solves the problem. Shuttles can also be an issue. Plastics are not so easy on the strings like feathers. Maybe change the stringer. The location for the breakage can be interesting.

20. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

It breaks at top corner...and btw the grommets were new