Did Lin Dan give up the final?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by Mag, Mar 14, 2005.

1. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

i think Lin Dan is too tired... playing German & All England continuously....
    the bandage / plaster (whatever that is call) is for muscle strain.... so it's normal if you all can't see any open wounds....
    i don't think his bandage / plaster is fake.... i think his muscle really aches... that's why his speed becomes slower

2. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

lean and mean vs. bloato :)

[​IMG]

3. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Over the last week i've talked to some players/coaches/umpires that have participated at the international level. None have in the last number of years (except the umpires), but none of them are suprised by the prospect of a fix. One quote was "the higher you go up, the more corupt things get"

I havn't watched the set, and all I know of the affair is from this thread, but sports at the elite level is a whole different game. Esspecially when you take a global power working to maintain the top spot.

but who knows so congrats chen hong!

4. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I think its ridicolous to be speaking about Lin Dan giving away an All England title. Chen Hong was the better man this day and for Lin Dan fans.. try to accept that. Last year it was discussed that he gave away the first set against Peter Gade to tire him out and I think its a bit funny and at the same time ridicolous because why should he dare to do so in his first AE final and against a player who when it goes his way and has the right mental strengh plays formidable. Both finals where between good players. Last year Lin won and this year he lost. Isnt about time saying end of discussion??? ;)

5. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

Hear!! Hear!! :D:D

6. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

have a rather far-fetched theory but neverthless a possibility.we all know that lin and chen are great friends.now ,in the WC only three players max, can represent china.lin dan of course will be one of them,so it would not matter to him if he were to lose or win in the finals.but the remaining 2 will go either to bao,xia or chen[along with the chinese juniors catching up too].maybe just to ensure that chen may be in the team for the WC lin actually lost the match on purpose[perhaps he did not even tell chen that he would lose intentionally].but then i would say reaching the finals would be a good enough achievement for chen,but who knows??

or simply lin was rather too over confident or did not gather enough motivation to win or was just too tired[a more cleaner theory]

#66 DaN_fAn, Mar 19, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Wrong, maximum 4 players if all within top 8.

8. MarkinJapan

kouchou sensei!
    I agree that the talk about last years and lin dan giving up a game on purpose was silly. But there is one major difference, this year it was an all china final. To think that the chinese coaches sit back all the time and say, "just go out and do you best guys" is silly. Not saying that's what happened here, but it's happened before. Lin dan doesn't play just for himself, he plays for China, and so does Chen Hong. If two chinese players reach a final, China has already won. So if Chen Hong can get a better draw for the WC, and as a result an easier path to the final, I don't think it's out of the question to see a fixed match. What would the goals be for the Chinese team right now be? A men's singles champion. How do you do that? Get as many players as far into the draw as you can.
    Again, I'm not saying this is what happened, a million and one things could have happened. One of course being that Chen Hong simply played better. Or lin Dan had a stomach ache. Or who knows. But to completly rule out a fix is nieve. *whuwho, post 100 :cool:*

9. night

night Regular Member

After the AE, Lin Dan lost about 600 points but he is still number 1 in the world ranking. Chen Hong gained about 2500 points and jumped from rank 5 to rank 2. hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

If the game was fixed, we should also blame ourselves to let chinese players dominate the badminton nowadays.

10. happy go lucky

happy go lucky Regular Member

This time Chen Hong gets hot, next time could be Bao Chunlai. Who knows could be Chen Yu, Xia etc in the WC. So tell me which country has the quality to send 4 players other than china in Men's single at WC? It is like against 4 Peter Gade's :D

11. 2love2live

2love2live Regular Member

haha - awesone!

I still tend to believe he was like that because he's not sophisticated enough to hide his stupidity - which i tend to believe is a good thing, like how do you like William Hung, or Forest Gump? I mean press should be the easiest to fool so why bother?

12. 2love2live

2love2live Regular Member

i heard some time ago another theory though, i was told those pro players in any sports since they are trained so intensely for almost a life time, so it's like built into their blood they are so competitive, and are eager to win every time whatever the competition is.

I was watching Heineken open shanghai several years ago - not a big fan for tennis just went with a friend. To make it more fun, the champion after winning the last game (forgot who he was) was challenged by the host to do a remote-controlled model car racing around the tennis court with one of the audience who happens to be a young lady: I was telling my friend I think the champion will let the lady win to cheer the audience up, and I told him if I were the champion I would do that - but my friend who was an american bet me dinner that the champion will try all his best to win. I lost the dinner.

because they have this in their competitive blood they win.:D :D

13. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

with all respect, it is really unfair to chen hong by say that anything is possible so you cannot rule out that the game is fixed. by the same logic, i may also argue that peter gade lost to lin dan in last year's ae is because the chinese bribed him with a couple hundred rmb, which, hey, is one of a million and one things that could have happened.

14. MarkinJapan

kouchou sensei!
    There is a big difference. Fixing within a team is a heck of alot easier and less risky than just going up to a player from a different country with a case full of money.

Like I said before, I havn't even seen the set. But it seems that SOME people who were there that think "something" happened to lin dan after the 1 game. If china has fixed games between it's players in the past, why is it so hard to think it COULD have happened at the AE?
    China, as a team, benifited more from chen hong winning than lin dan in that the draw will be more favorable at the bigger event, the WC.

15. night

night Regular Member

I'm agree with markin. Fixing a game within a team is a lot lot easier. Hey, i think we call it, team spirit, right... :cool:

Also, WC is more prestige with its rated 7 stars tournaments, which mean more points to gain for players.

16. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i think this is getting a bit draggy. there's no point in arguing on it for so long. if a fix was indeed existent in that match, then shame on them. there's no way we're gonna find out the truth unless someone decides to confess. why don't we save the rest of our condemnations for when that moment arrives?

17. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

how easy to fix a game is one thing, whether it is the truth is another thing. so far we have seen several analyses of why lin dan lost, from people actually watched the game. on the other hand, those arguments for the conspiracy theory are pure speculations. it is unfair to imply somebody may be guilty without any evidence.

maybe this is kind of off topic. in 1999, when mccain and bush competed for the gop president candidate, there was a poll conducted by some organization supporting bush. one question in the poll is (or something like that) "if mccain is gay, will you still vote for him". sure mccain is not gay. but after reading the question, nevertheless, many people got that impression.

18. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    Got video

It seems like a hot topic but I haven't seen the video thus I can't judge. I wonder if anyone have recorded the games and is willing to distribute. I am looking forward to see the video.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Recently after Jimmy Connors was appointed Briish coach or sth he quoted this when asked what mekes winners-

" Everyone has nice strokes and are tremendous athletes,
    but in order to win you must want to win badly"

that applies to whoever your opponent is.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Can someone who frequents badders.com

post the link on the interview with Susi Susanti in Jakarta post especially to her reference to european players esp Camilla ?