Denmark Open 2006: FINALS (05/11)

Discussion in 'Denmark Open / Dutch Open 2006' started by 2cents, Nov 4, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    true but one shouldn't use badminton court player statistic as national averages :p If u look a pair figure skating, the ladies are often very very short compared to the men but we can't say russian ladies are short;)

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    What you said is right.:D

Actually, let me rephrase what I said:

There are two kinds of pairing in Mixed double. I think mixed double is totally different from mens double or ladies double. Because in mens double or ladies' double, two persons take almost equal role in offense and defense. While in the mixed double, it is the MAN who do most job for offense and defense. Especially defense, man should be responsible for 3/4 of the court. So mixed double is like men's singles, the lady just plays a support role.

That's the traditional pairing of the mixed double, such as Xie ZB/Zhang YW. Because it behaves like men's singles, so some people found the pitfalls of these kind of pairing. They pair a tall lady, even taller than the man, then they can almost equally defense their territory. This new kind of pair is kind of success by just looking at who entered this time Denmark open.

That's the meaning in my original post. The new equalized pairing is a fashion now! so you got to look for a taller lady ;) :cool: ;)

#42 2cents, Nov 5, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nope, i need to correct u some more:D:p
    winning formula is not a fashion, it's timeless. It's how strength and weakness of the pair are combined to yield the maximum overall effectiveness.

analogy in chess: u r saying now 2 rooks are in fashion and better than 1 queen + a pawn. I say no. I say it depends on how good the chess player use his 2 pieces together. Both are technicality equal in value but intangibles skills are incalculable.

analogy in badminton: tony is more effective at front and howard at back. Saw it 05 WC and saw it again when they were in calgary for exhibition. Kido and setiawan, kido is more effective at the back or sometime equally.Kido doesn't preferentially stay up the front. These 2 are just quick examples off the top of my head.

yes, in xd, the woman is weaker power wise, so they play less at the back, whether they are tall or short.

#43 cooler, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    well done CH! :D just as I predicted :D
    and JYJ :D
    and espcially Jonas/Lars :D
    the polish pair, I'm suprised they beat Gail/her partner :D :eek:
    and Clark/Kellogg ;) I thought the Danes would have a homecrowd advantage :D

5. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    :eek: I can't believe the Final's only 3 pages :eek: not much interest :eek: :D
    maybe because Lin Dan's not there :D ;) :p

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lol, u mean TH wasnt there :p

7. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    The main reasons are:

1. No chance for random Malaysia fans to post a random "boleh":p
    2. No chance for die-hard Taufik's fans to make prediction of how Taufik will beat "insert name" in straight sets.:eek: That alone eliminates all disagreement and "FUN" posts !!!
    3. Irrational fans usually are not interested in All-China MS+WS finals, or All-Denmark MD finals, or any match involving China and European country only matches.:p:p

Just check out the Philipinne Open(very weak lineup), and the MS top seeds were Hafiz(1) and Ng Wei(2), and the finals had more pages than this one???

Anyways, congrats to Chen Hong for being at the top again!!!
    And more importantly, I can't believe Anthony Clark won something.:eek::D

#47 bananaboy, Nov 5, 2006
  8. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

only 2 right , other 3 with wrong prediction :(

Anyway.... good job Chen Hong :D

9. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Chen Hong and Lars/Jonas would have been heavy favorites to win the final. I guess you will lose money if you really bet on the 5 finals. :D

10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    yup true......it's getting real boring always seeing the same players or players from the same country playing each other in the finals......
    ya know? anthony is not a bad player........he's quite good also.....

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From final day of DkO/06 :
    - China again, gosh! Just Chen duo but local fave Peter and Kenneth couldn't stop Chinese domination (bad luck for the Danes or what??). 2 youngster Jiang and Lu in finale prove CHN regeneration is working good and already to continue and replace the senior ZN plus XXF a.s.a.p. LYB must be proud of this 'little success' story in fairy-tale land. Next year, 12 SS will test CHN force but before that take a look at Doha -- Can the mighty China close year of 2006 with perfect score : Golds in Teams and Individuals (esp.Male discipline)??

- In doubles, 3 title for 3 Euro country : Den-Eng-debutant Poland. What a huge surprise with the Polish victory! Overall, dissapointment feeling for DEN of course they can talk too much (same with last year) in their homeground.

- Empty for MAS and INA. What happen with Malaysia Boleh? Last time they grabbed title from LCW and CCM/KKK in MyO (medio June) and after this they always fail for several times. INA? As usual, no target.
    - Congratz to all winners.

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The board will be "quiet" if there's no Malaysian players involved in the tournaments :D

2 out of 3 of the European tourneys have been completed. Can INA steal a title or two in the Dutch Open this week? Team Pelatnas is banking on Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa (and Rani Mundiasti/Endang Nur Sugianti). Hendra A. Gunawan/Joko Riyadi have a good chance too, considering the fact that Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Lin Woon Fui have withdrawn. They only have to beat some English and French pairs :cool: They can take comfort that they lost to the eventual champion in the Denmark Open in a 3-sets thriller.

13. DaddyCoach

DaddyCoach Regular Member

Anthony Clark

Very surprised to read the comment about Anthony Clark "winning something". The guy has had a remarkable year in 2006.

He has

Been the first English player and only the 3rd guy ever to reach 2 finals at the same world championship

Now won the Danish Open

He is ranked 6 in the world at men's doubles and 7th in the world at mixed (and likely to go higher following the Danish).

He's also won 2 silver medals at previous European Championships and been 5 times English men's doubles champion

Sounds to me that he is a world class player and fully deserving of his Danish Open title. Credit to the guy!!!

14. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    I was being sacaristic in case you guys could not realized it from my previous post... Anthony Clark is obviously the stronger person in the duo of Clark/Blair and he is very smart in court from what I've seen in his matches during WC 06. He was able to set up lots of opportunities for his team, and he did very well at minimizing any unforced error.

15. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    yeah, I think it's kind of relieve that when bananaboy wrote "Anthony Clark winning something". He's happy to see the good results finally. Me too. Anthony deserved a title (something) but he had not got it until this year Denmark open.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This pair is a very tricky pair to play. Kido/Hendra have lost twice to them this year...both in important tournaments as well (All England first round and WC quarter-final) :cool:

I still can't get over why Kido/Hendra eventually lost when they have won the first set so easily (despite the delays in the first set which affected their concentration) and was leading at the interval of the rubber-set :mad:

17. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Exactly!:D

Anthony Clark is good and you can see that he is a capable player, but yet he has not achieved alot throughout his career(he is 28 yrs old if the media is right) until this recent win... it would have been a sad thing to see a good player retire(not that he will soon) without much to brag about(so to speak):p

On a side note, I think Clark needs a better partner than Blair, just like Fu HaiFeng needs a better partner than Cai nowadays...hahaha:p:D (if possible):p