Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 Badminton schedule & results

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by Loh, Oct 4, 2010.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

How about those who only played in the early rounds like GLY, CPS, WKW, HH... do they deserve more too compared to KKK, the most hardworking player? ;)

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    In a team, rewards are shared equally. No such thing as I play more, I get more. If you are selected to be a team member, you are one part. No more no less.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I can't comment... but if u think u can replace them, go ahead by all means... not too sure but I heard the daily trainings start at 5:30am... hmm... BOLEH

4. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I think you better read my post carefully before making snipe remarks
    Someone remarked that the Mixed Team Gold Medal win was worth 80K Ringgit and I commented as follows:
    'If the 80k is to be shared by the team members, then it amounts to little for each
    member'.
    Now, who is being 'confused'?
    Birdies are not scored by irrational hits.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

In unity, hopefully we shall win... BOLEH...

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yes... have not bought my 1st racquet then...

anywya... I wonder when will tehy be paid the 80k..

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    hoooi, hoooi....take it easy....I just meant that the only 'tough' opposition to gold in CWG is mighty India, that is no sweat lah...I am glad some of MAS players get a decent payday since besides LCW, TBH/KKK, others do not make much, so $8K is good for now....but still $8K per member is not too bad for a few days of work. As for training, of course pro badminton players train hard, it is punishing on the body and esp the knees, and only the top players really make a living on winnings and endorsements (this is the key money maker)...but compared to ordinary malaysian struggling to make a living, that payday is not too bad;):)

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If payment is guaranteed by MAS govt or tax-payers, then you can see 'chicken on the way'...err, I mean '$$$ on the way'.:D If it is BAM, err, good luck, can wait long, long lah:p

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    In CWG10, who is MAS opposition here, mighty India right?;) In the VO10, the competition is tougher than this CWG10 and the winner or runner-up gets less than this CWG thingie. In past VO, winner got like <US$2K and early round casualty has to hitch-hiked home:D, so winner gets $80K with little or no real compeition is more than winner in VO10 or even in SS when the winner gets like US$15K to $25K, and to earn that SS thingie, the winner has to get past CHN (one look at CHN MS and WS lineup, forget it), INA, KOR and DEN.

#389 OneToughBirdie, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, uncle OTB, we know lah. Just pulling your leg, didnt you see the :p:p and :D:D ?

Funniest thing is incentive for WC is less -
    RM40,000 for winner, RM20,000 runner-up, RM10,000 3rd, if doubles divide 2. Press reported KKK/TBH received RM5K per person for WC runner up, I think got mistake.

It's same amount for CWG & AG, as for some sports winning CWG is harder than AG.
    Gold = RM80K
    Silver = RM40K
    Bronze = RM20K

I cant find the amount the Team event, guess we will know during the cheque giving ceremony from NSC :D:D

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I find it strange when you watch badminton on tv, and one of the players on the court, isn't much (if at all) better that yourself.:) (refering to the MS match between Uganda and the Maldives) I mean seriously, the guy from the Maldives was..... Not very good.:) (to be polite.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    MS player from the Maldives

Probably, you have been playing/practicing more often than the MS player from the Maldives. :):):)

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Quite possibly, the guy is ranked 555th in the world ( I was sad enough to look that up :eek:) on seeing the standard of some of the players in the draw, if I train hard enough, there is still a chance of me getting to CG2014:) (hopefully)

14. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    but unfortunately for you (or hopefully, i'm quite confused now), you're not from Maldives :D

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

no I am not from the Maldives, (I didn't even know that they played badminton, until last week) anyway, some of the players that enter, are... Let's just say below par.:) no disrespect intended.

16. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    At the WC in Paris, I saw a few Nigerians players. I really don't know how far they are from French player's level, but I found that they had a real sportsmanship, they were fair play..
    imagine if you were them, playing against TH (http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=F62164E2-8D5A-414A-8D71-748A49C68A3E&match=36), thatcould be very hard to realize the difference of level...
    but them, they just enjoyed being there !! they don't often play big tourneys, so they took it as a luck/chance, to be selectioned for WC :)

a WD pair from Nigeria was interviewed by BADZINE, they just looked very nice and funny, enjoying the tourney, shopping, playing against top players..

THAT is a great mind ! :) never give up, take and enjoy the opportunities..

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The Nigerians are quite good though, but some of the countries aren't, I am sure they all are just happy to be Thor and enjoy the tournament and atmosphere. At the end of the day, it's something to tell the grandchildren:)

18. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

fair point. However, keep in mind that those guys from Maldives might not have the luxury to train with good facility. I would have imagine that their badminton association is poorly funded and there's no sponsorship nor big interest there to generate high level play. As such, those guys have to earn a living from something else and chris-ccc isn't joking when he said you probably train more than they do.

Thom_bad has a point, a few years ago I have never heard of Nigerians playing badminton. When Nigerians made their first attempt to the interational scene...no disrespect but they don't appear to be some athletes that has gone through proper training. However years later, I had seen the same batch of players started to master some crafty shots and you can tell the effort they put in especially when they have to start everything from scratch.

It is this sort of sportmanship that we cherish the most. The spirit of wanting to compete, the courage to step forward to learn from the best around the world and not afraid of being ashame even if you get 'toyed' by the top players and looked like a clown in front of TV. In an interview, they said that they know they won't have any chance to even make the second round of the tournament(during Thomas/Uber cup). But they still insist in coming to learn from pros like Lin Dan because they don't get good coaches back in their country. This spirit of wanting to improve, popularize and tryng to rise the standard of play of the sport in their own country is something I admired about them.

Wish them good luck and hope Maldives players will come back and impress all of us in the next edition of CWG.

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This is the only chance some of these guys get to compete internationally. They aren't good enough to qualify for the WC, even with the Quali systems. It is a tournament to encourage participation.

The standard is very low, but it help UK countries get soe medals!

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Badminton in Maldives..

..they might not be one of those top baddy countries or associations, but they've been around.
    Here is a thread related to badminton in Maldives, courtesy of Oldhand..;)
    As a matter of fact, one of Maldives baddy association's members supposedly is a BCer..:cool:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?57898

#400 ctjcad, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010